Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Carry-on baggage size reduction eff 6/4/18

AS Carry-on baggage size reduction eff 6/4/18

Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Sorry if I missed this...if you plan on using a la carte only on Horizon, have the parameters changed? You won't be bringing any luggage on board...
I don't believe there's a different standard for QX, so the new standard would also apply. If I remember, I'll look at the sizer in EUG next week. Pretty sure I saw one of the new ones in the lobby.

As a practical matter, I think the GA's will be looking more for a ala Carte (*) tags and handing one out if not present.

(*new tags no longer say a la Carte. Had a SEA GA tell me last month that they're no longer using the solid green ones and handed me a new one replace it )
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I don't believe there's a different standard for QX, so the new standard would also apply. If I remember, I'll look at the sizer in EUG next week. Pretty sure I saw one of the new ones in the lobby.

As a practical matter, I think the GA's will be looking more for a ala Carte (*) tags and handing one out if not present.

(*new tags no longer say a la Carte. Had a SEA GA tell me last month that they're no longer using the solid green ones and handed me a new one replace it )
But I won't be carrying anything on, so it's not technically a carryon, is it?...that's why I'm wondering. But if you could look/ask next week I'd appreciate it.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
But I won't be carrying anything on, so it's not technically a carry-on, is it?...that's why I'm wondering. But if you could look/ask next week I'd appreciate it.
If its not checked in prior to going through TSA it qualifies as one.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
Interesting that today's email changing the allowed carry-on luggage size relates this to "international" partners. Carry on luggage sizes for the US majors has been 22 x 14 x 9 forever - I'm not sure how some of these 10" or higher bags were fitting in the first place. Most of the international carriers are a bit shorter and squatter (Briggs & Riley's international size bag is 21 x 15 x 9) - so that's a bit of a canard. It will be interesting to see if it is enforced at all. I've never seen an AS agent put a bag in a sizer...
I've merged your post into the existing thread on the topic. Please continue to follow the topic there.

Regards,
jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines forum
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
But I won't be carrying anything on, so it's not technically a carryon, is it?...that's why I'm wondering. But if you could look/ask next week I'd appreciate it.
New sizers with the new dimensions are prominently placed at the entrance to the ticket counter lines and at the gate by the elite/non-elite direction sign.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL FO, HH Ag
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
Carry on luggage sizes for the US majors has been 22 x 14 x 9 forever - I'm not sure how some of these 10" or higher bags were fitting in the first place. Most of the international carriers are a bit shorter and squatter (Briggs & Riley's international size bag is 21 x 15 x 9) - so that's a bit of a canard. It will be interesting to see if it is enforced at all. I've never seen an AS agent put a bag in a sizer...
My wife and I have flown for YEARS on Delta with small Samsonite cases that are 21 x 15 x 9, and they have never given those a second look. It's been 3 or 4 years since we've flown on Alaska, but naturally we have booked flights to Anchorage that depart less than a week after this change goes into effect - trying to decide if we should take the risk or spring for new bags (current ones are approaching 10 years, but still quite serviceable). I'm inclined to keep what we have, but my wife is really stressing over it (mostly because we will have my 89 year old father along and we want things to go smoothly).

Decisions, decisions ...

-JimG
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JimGinATL
My wife and I have flown for YEARS on Delta with small Samsonite cases that are 21 x 15 x 9, and they have never given those a second look. It's been 3 or 4 years since we've flown on Alaska, but naturally we have booked flights to Anchorage that depart less than a week after this change goes into effect - trying to decide if we should take the risk or spring for new bags (current ones are approaching 10 years, but still quite serviceable). I'm inclined to keep what we have, but my wife is really stressing over it (mostly because we will have my 89 year old father along and we want things to go smoothly).

Decisions, decisions ...

-JimG
I notice the total linear inches are also prominently displayed in all communications about this (even though @missydarlin never weighed in on the topic). So you may squeak in at 45 total linear inches.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: DL FO, HH Ag
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I notice the total linear inches are also prominently displayed in all communications about this (even though @missydarlin never weighed in on the topic). So you may squeak in at 45 total linear inches.
I saw that too which is why I think we will be OK. I think most of the DL GAs just kind of "eyeball" things, which is why we have gotten by with it up until now (even though we are technically over by an inch in that one direction). However if the AS GAs start putting luggage in a sizer then that could be a problem. Basically I think it boils down to how picky they want to be at the gate - my concern is we are flying right after the change and they might start out really strict (checking each bag), just to get the point across.

On the other hand, they might start out kind of lax, since it's kind of unreasonable to expect people to run out and buy brand new luggage right away (especially if they are infrequent AS flyers). This is a significant change in the sizing from what they have done before, and it seems fair to do a sort of "grace period" for people who booked flights under the old understanding and are potentially faced with a huge expense for all new luggage.

Guess I'll just watch social media for a few days after the change, to see how they approach it. Our flight is not until June 9, so we have some time to make an adjustment if we need to.

-JimG
Old May 31, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Bumping this thread since the new restrictions for carry-on bags are about to go into effect.

Still unanswered: Whether the 45 linear inches alternative maximum limit (indicated in very small print on the new Carry-on luggage page) will be honored by gate agents, since most of the page highlights the 22'' x 14'' x 9'' maximum dimensions.

There are a number of bags, such as those from Briggs & Riley, that meet the 45 linear inch limit (or are even slightly under, in total) but slightly exceed one of the individual dimensions.

Not sure how much of a hassle it will be trying to convince gate agents during boarding that 45 linear inches is an "or," as the AS web page indicates.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
New bag sizer is a joke

I am not happy. A GA suggested people try to fit their current carry on into the sizer. Nine out of 10 bags did not fit, including mine. By checking a bag, I lose 2 hours round trip dropping off and waiting at baggage. I am 75K, so it’s not about paying to check. When you travel 1-2 a week that adds up. I think their excuse of “informing size across carriers” is about extra $$$. The GA said managers are going to be at gates with credit card machines starting Monday. Flights will be delayed and passengers will be cranky. Employees did not get COLA increases yet lots of $$$ will come in at $25 per bag. I only fly Alaska and the off chance I fly another carrier, I will take a chance for gate checking.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Bumping this thread since the new restrictions for carry-on bags are about to go into effect.

Still unanswered: Whether the 45 linear inches alternative maximum limit (indicated in very small print on the new Carry-on luggage page) will be honored by gate agents, since most of the page highlights the 22'' x 14'' x 9'' maximum dimensions.

There are a number of bags, such as those from Briggs & Riley, that meet the 45 linear inch limit (or are even slightly under, in total) but slightly exceed one of the individual dimensions.

Not sure how much of a hassle it will be trying to convince gate agents during boarding that 45 linear inches is an "or," as the AS web page indicates.
Do you know if the "or" is enforced with international carriers? That might help
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AS
Sounds like traveling next week is going to be really challenging. I guess I will pack my patience along with my carry on bag.
Did have some conversations with customers at Costco looking at luggage. Most of the Carry on sized luggage for sale will not comply with new AS policy. Many asked me why AS is doing this. They usually only fly SEA to California destinations. My understanding is that it is to make those connecting to other carriers (international?) be consistent with those policies.
Everyone I talked with did not know of the change coming and are all Mileage Plan members. So, could be many upset passengers. OH BOY , what fun.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
I am not happy. A GA suggested people try to fit their current carry on into the sizer. Nine out of 10 bags did not fit, including mine. By checking a bag, I lose 2 hours round trip dropping off and waiting at baggage. I am 75K, so it’s not about paying to check. When you travel 1-2 a week that adds up. I think their excuse of “informing size across carriers” is about extra $$$. The GA said managers are going to be at gates with credit card machines starting Monday. Flights will be delayed and passengers will be cranky. Employees did not get COLA increases yet lots of $$$ will come in at $25 per bag. I only fly Alaska and the off chance I fly another carrier, I will take a chance for gate checking.
Since the gate check is allegedly only for the legal size carry-on bags, some passengers might not be able to gate check without having to pay the checked bags fee. For you as 75k (and me) it is not an issue, but I pity the GAs that will have to deal with this and try to collect fees on top of not letting people carry on their luggage as planned.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Which dimension is causing the angst? I just measured both of my carry on’s and they come in at 22 x 14 x 8. Actually 7” if I flatten it down to just the frame. Including wheels (2 wheels, not spinners) and handle. When packed full and chubbed out, it could go to 9” deep, which is still within limits. I just bought one of them 2months ago so these are not old bags. Which dimension are people finding too big?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS
I wonder if they will have everyone put bag into sizer or just pull out those that look oversized.
Hoping that they will go after those who have larger bags and try to pass them off as carry ons. I am thinking of those people who are pulling stuff out of their bags at their seat because it will not fit into overhead bins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.