Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Carry-on baggage size reduction eff 6/4/18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

I just noticed this on the AS Site. They claim it’s because they are being too generous compared to competition and wanted to be sure our bags fit on all carriers in the journey

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/carry-on-luggage?lid=Home-Page:CarryonBagSizePolicy&int=AS_HomePage_MSG3_-prodID:Awareness

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com
Our new carry-on bag size

Starting June 4, 2018, the carry-on bag size limit for Alaska Airlines, Horizon, and SkyWest flights will change to 22'' x 14'' x 9''

We’re giving you advance notice of this change so that you’ll have time to make adjustments to your packing plans now.

Don’t worry - you’ll still be allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item such as a purse, briefcase, or laptop bag.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
too generous compared to competition
https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...-CUSTOMER-BAGS

Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10 x 16 x 24 inches.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:36 pm

Realistically, if someone has a normal sized carry on and normal sized under-seat bag, does this really make a difference? I honestly do not see alaska agents bringing out a carryon sizer and stopping folks (unless ofcourse something is very clearly too big).

I thought the new alaska planes had larger sized carry ons anyways (allowing you to put carry on bags up on the side)
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Is this due to the airbus integration into AS' fleet? Seems VX needs to gate check quite a bit of bags...

Still feels like a chip.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
While this does seem obnoxious to me, I must admit that carry on bag size rules are..... grossly abused by MANY passengers across most US carriers.
I believe my carry on bag fit the old guidelines; whether it fits the new ones or not, I'm not anticipating any change in behavior on my part.
And I'm certainly not about to go out and spend another arm and leg on a carry on bag that's ONE inch or two smaller in a certain dimension.
JPat and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
VX carry-on allowance is 51 inches, which can be 10x17x24. WN is the only significant US carrier not at 22x14x9.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
But Southwest is a special case. They only fly 737s and no RJs. So it's easier for them to have one size because of flying one plane (which Alaska didn't even before acquiring Virgin America due to Horizon/etc).
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But Southwest is a special case.
Are there people who have slightly larger carry on luggage that they only use when flying Southwest?

Is anyone going to have to retire luggage that fit the old Alaska requirements but not the new ones?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
I just noticed this on the AS Site. They claim it’s because they are being too generous compared to competition and wanted to be sure our bags fit on all carriers in the journey
It's actually intended to alleviate a very common complaint among customers connecting to/from international and/or codeshare partners, where the customer is shocked to learn the carry-on they'd had no problems with on their AS flight is suddenly considered too large by the other airline for their connecting flight.

We’re changing our bag size allowance to make sure that your carry-on bag will be accepted aboard all the flights within your itinerary. This will help you avoid carry-on bag size conflicts and make connections with other airlines easier during your future trips.
There's no nefarious intent here, it's honestly just about trying to not create problems for customers down the line.
missamo80, ctporter and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I was staring at one of the new sizers last month and wondering when the other shoe was finally going to drop. Almost two years...

Carry-on Size Changing?
Originally Posted by Snowdevil
It's actually intended to alleviate a very common complaint among customers connecting to/from international and/or codeshare partners, where the customer is shocked to learn the carry-on they'd had no problems with on their AS flight is suddenly considered too large by the other airline for their connecting flight.
Will AS add a carry on weight limit to help pax connecting to international partners with those restrictions as well?

Last edited by rustykettel; Apr 6, 2018 at 12:25 am
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I was staring at one of the new sizers last month and wondering when the other shoe was finally going to drop. Almost two years...

Carry-on Size Changing?

Will AS add a carry on weight limit to help pax connecting to international partners with those restrictions as well?
Of the many complaints received about inconsistencies connecting from one carrier to another, it's almost exclusively about the dimensions of the carry-on, not the weight.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Want to test that theory? I invite others to add.

British Airways carry-on size: 22x18x10 inches
JAL: 22x16x10 inches
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
They would be in the same predicament no matter what AS baggage size limit is.Wjhy not just post a big message that AS baggage allowance is more generous than other carriers and to be aware that they bags not fit when connecting to another carrier.
jackal and jjmadison like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:34 am

This seems to be a great deal of fuss about nothing. Is it a slow day or something?
The carry on size is a reasonable requirement. I for one am so tired of people trying to stuff the kitchen sink in the overhead bins and slowing down boarding and deplaning. My luggage has always fit this requirement so no changes for me.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Want to test that theory? I invite others to add.

British Airways carry-on size: 22x18x10 inches
JAL: 22x16x10 inches
Finnair : 22 x 18 x 10

But the new restriction is now in line with Qantas, Cathay and Singapore.

Not exhaustive research, admittedly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.