Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Carry-on baggage size reduction eff 6/4/18

AS Carry-on baggage size reduction eff 6/4/18

Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
<deleted> and moved elsewhere.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
YES
And this is happening even though there is a sign indicating that this bin for use by the bulkhead passengers only. Once had a FA refuse to move her bags and wanted to put my bag overhead in row7. All overhead full in F. I refused and she pulled her bags out , loudly exclaiming "I guess I have to move my bags because First Class thinks they are special". It was a wow moment.
Was that the FA assigned to work the F cabin, and if so - how was the service the rest of the way? TIA
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by CDKing
I just hate the fact that my legal carry-on just became illegal due to the soft handle. I guess it isn't too bad for me, i have a bag from a crew store and it has a crew tag. Seems GAs on other carriers have turned a blind eye when others around me had to prove their size in a sizer.
I’ve got a Timbuk2 weekend size computer backpack and a shoulder carry Briggs and Riley bag.

It’s all about strategy - roller bags are an easy target during boarding.

Backpacks rarely get scrutinized during boarding and the shoulder carry bag pushed behind one my arms has never been questioned.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Tankerman

I’ve got a Timbuk2 weekend size computer backpack and a shoulder carry Briggs and Riley bag.

It’s all about strategy - roller bags are an easy target during boarding.

Backpacks rarely get scrutinized during boarding and the shoulder carry bag pushed behind one my arms has never been questioned.
I've found this observation about backpacks vs. rollers scrutiny to be pretty consistently true. It's one reason, though not the only one, that I've switched to a backpack on most trips.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I have no problem seeing AS down-sized the carry on requirements to match other major airlines' size requirements. I have seen too often people bringing on board over-sized bags and trying to stuff them in the overhead bins and then slowing down the boarding process. For frequent fliers like us, 22x14x9 seems to be a reasonable size that would fit in most overhead bins. All my carry-on's are this size or smaller.

I do think the timing is bad for making this change--AS' in flight services and amenities have been on the downward slide (my observation) since the VX acquisition and pressure from DL on their home turf. This latest carry on down-sizing can be seen by some as another way AS is trying to short change its customers and trying to race to the bottom with the rest of the legacy and LCCs.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:50 pm

Now that AS has gone from 4 to 3 rows in F in nearly all of the 737 flight, why change the carry-on size restrictions for F passengers? With the 25% reduction in capacity in F, but no change in the bin size/capacity in F, it doesn't make sense to change the carry-on size allowance in that cabin.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Now that AS has gone from 4 to 3 rows in F in nearly all of the 737 flight, why change the carry-on size restrictions for F passengers? With the 25% reduction in capacity in F, but no change in the bin size/capacity in F, it doesn't make sense to change the carry-on size allowance in that cabin.
While I agree with your premise, it isn't practical. Further, with more and more E75s joining the mix, it isn't workable to have a 2 tier size.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Huh? The fleet is still mostly -900s.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jinglish
The 900s will all have the expanded F pitch, too, which will mean just about the same good ratio as in the 800s.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by dave1013
Was that the FA assigned to work the F cabin, and if so - how was the service the rest of the way? TIA
No, she was in Y. Even the FA assigned to F was wide eyed. She later told me that that particular FA was new and apologized . I thanked her and said it was not necessary to apologize for what happened.
Service was fine.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
Sorry -- nearly all of my AS flights are the transcons out of DCA, so I haven't been keeping track of the rest of the fleet! But, glad to hear that the upgrading is making progress in the non-transcon flights.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Plus a lot of the reconfigured aircraft have the 4th life raft above 3A/C 4A/C reducing the available space for carryon baggage.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None of the US carriers have different carry-on allowances for F/J/Y (other than BE for some). It's complicated, hard to enforce and winds up taking more time in the boarding process.

The new limits are plenty generous and it's easy enough to travel on business for 4-5 nights with that size limitation. Anything more or people who need to haul stuff around with them ought to be checking.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Carry on luggage "restriction"

Interesting that today's email changing the allowed carry-on luggage size relates this to "international" partners. Carry on luggage sizes for the US majors has been 22 x 14 x 9 forever - I'm not sure how some of these 10" or higher bags were fitting in the first place. Most of the international carriers are a bit shorter and squatter (Briggs & Riley's international size bag is 21 x 15 x 9) - so that's a bit of a canard. It will be interesting to see if it is enforced at all. I've never seen an AS agent put a bag in a sizer...
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Sorry if I missed this...if you plan on using a la carte only on Horizon, have the parameters changed? You won't be bringing any luggage on board...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.