Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Carry-on baggage size reduction eff 6/4/18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Carry-on baggage size reduction eff 6/4/18

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Actually this is driven by IATA. They put out some information last year for smaller carry-on bags. So I believe Alaska caved and went with them. I'll now need to measure my TravelPro, as I believe it still "fits". She's got a LOT of miles on her.

Speaking of carry-on sizes, one partner I won't miss is Air France. Flew Bangkok to Geneva via Paris and got stuck in security in Paris since my carry-on was at 12 kilos, apparently you can only have 5 kilos on flights within Europe. There was even a scale for the bags! The person in the line was adament I go check my bag, even showing my boarding passes and what not. Put a HUGE sticker on my bag with the weight, felt like the walk of shame.

As I was leaving the queue in Paris, I noticed the SkyPriority check-point, and my "DYKWIA" / Ryan Bingham / Super Elite FQTV hit me: use that line. Ripped off that lame weight and proceeded to the line. I whipped out my Delta SkyPesos Gold Card, walked right thru and NO questions asked about my bag.
I have Travelpro Flightcrew3 its a 22" but looking at more current version 5, its also a 22 but specs say 21" so maybe they are counting the handle as the extra height.

OT I'm worried about the weight limit if i go to Europe. I just spent $300 for a Goruck GR2 backpack but it weighs 2.2kg empty
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Condor, an AS partner, lists a max size of 21.6 x 15.7 x 7.8 (using cm measurements, converted). So if you take total linear measurement (which some airlines allow), it's almost exactly the same as AS' new 22 x 14 x 9.

The old linear measurements totaled 51 inches, the new one totals 45 inches. (And 45 total linear inches is mentioned in the small print by the graphic on this page.)

Frankly, I applaud this. And hope my carry-on Briggs & Riley suiter still works at 44 total linear inches, since it exceeds one of the above dimensions by 2 inches (16 vs. 14), but it is well under the other two dimensions. (Maybe @missydarlin can confirm that total linear works for measurement acceptability, too, as the page graphic implies.)

I have a smaller bag I use for international travel, and the problem even with a smaller bag that fits in an international carrier overhead and meets size restrictions is the varying weight limits across carriers (Condor and Lufthansa don't have the same weight limits, for example, as I discovered on a trip last month -- I had to check the bag on Lufthansa intra-Europe).

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Apr 6, 2018 at 6:58 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXpress
Are there people who have slightly larger carry on luggage that they only use when flying Southwest?
You seem to not be aware that there are tons of people who exclusively fly Southwest and no other airline. (Unlike Alaska, Southwest has a nationwide network making such exclusiveness more practical.) So they don't have to worry about what other airlines' dimensions are.

In fact, I was one of those people (exclusively flying Southwest) back in the late 80s and 90s.
Insulator-King likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by pcoll
YES
And this is happening even though there is a sign indicating that this bin for use by the bulkhead passengers only. Once had a FA refuse to move her bags and wanted to put my bag overhead in row7. All overhead full in F. I refused and she pulled her bags out , loudly exclaiming "I guess I have to move my bags because First Class thinks they are special". It was a wow moment.
Are you my TH in disguise? I'm surprised that she went the extra mile for you, very north of expected.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
YES
And this is happening even though there is a sign indicating that this bin for use by the bulkhead passengers only. Once had a FA refuse to move her bags and wanted to put my bag overhead in row7. All overhead full in F. I refused and she pulled her bags out , loudly exclaiming "I guess I have to move my bags because First Class thinks they are special". It was a wow moment.
Hope you reported this at the time! Although Alaska Listens seems to be giving canned answers for the most part. Maybe a letter to corporate headquarters would work.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:17 pm

What does this even matter?
Last week we saw a family of 4 carry on a rollaboard each AND a dufflebag each far too big to fit in the seat in front AND the ladies were carrying purses.
When hubby pointed this out to the flight attendant he was abruptly informed everyone is allowed two bags.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by rustykettel

I wonder how forceful AS agents will be about using the sizer now.
Lol...good one!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
I received a Patagonia Headway MLC for my B-Day: 22x16x9... SOB! Missed it by that much...

Just checked and Emirates is 22x15x8 FYI
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DrAlex
Just checked and Emirates is 22x15x8 FYI
Having flown EK in Y, I can tell you that that limit is not well-enforced, at least outside of DXB check-in.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by CDKing
I just noticed this on the AS Site. They claim it’s because they are being too generous compared to competition and wanted to be sure our bags fit on all carriers in the journey

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/carry-on-luggage?lid=Home-Page:CarryonBagSizePolicy&int=AS_HomePage_MSG3_-prodID:Awareness
Good news. In line with most US carriers I believe. But, most airlines don't enforce the rule so not sure how serious to take the news. Example: I was on a DL flt a couple days ago (739) and this guy gets on pulling a roller bag that he couldn't squeeze into the overhead bin. It was am expandable bag that looked to be 21 or 22" but was so thick he couldn't squeeze it in. He went toward the back and I never saw the bag again. Maybe he took some things out of it. That bag would never have fit in a bag "sizer".

Last edited by philemer; Apr 7, 2018 at 10:27 pm
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by CBear
What does this even matter?
Last week we saw a family of 4 carry on a rollaboard each AND a dufflebag each far too big to fit in the seat in front AND the ladies were carrying purses.
When hubby pointed this out to the flight attendant he was abruptly informed everyone is allowed two bags.
why do I think this guy just waltzed onto the jet like nobody’s business?. seen at LAX, 23 Feb

1- folding garment bag 2- roller bag 3- laptop bag 4- box w another laptop (or possibly a monitor) 5- lunch and possibly 6- whatever he bought at the See’s Candies kiosk at Gate 61
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
I understand rules are rules but I'll be pretty upset if I can't carry the bag that I've used for the last 6 years onto my AS flight after the change. I'm hoping that they'll turn a blind eye to a bag a couple inches too large to a 75k.
Seattlenerd likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I wish that all airlines would standarize bag sizes, like the new rules rolling out in Europe. I have my fave bag that (at least until now) has always been OK at Alaska but with which I have had to check a few times on AA and DL and more than a few times on WN. I hate to go smaller but when you plan on always being able to take your important stuff with you, it's very difficult to randomly not be able to do so. I can live with the change down to 14" and 9" but would like to know it will work for me on all air carriers.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
I wish that all airlines would standarize bag sizes, like the new rules rolling out in Europe. I have my fave bag that (at least until now) has always been OK at Alaska but with which I have had to check a few times on AA and DL and more than a few times on WN. I hate to go smaller but when you plan on always being able to take your important stuff with you, it's very difficult to randomly not be able to do so. I can live with the change down to 14" and 9" but would like to know it will work for me on all air carriers.
IATA has tried to standardize bag sizes, but there’s been extreme resistance from US carriers. It’s been alluded to here, but the US carriers have the most generous size/weight allowance.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by fly18725

IATA has tried to standardize bag sizes, but there’s been extreme resistance from US carriers. It’s been alluded to here, but the US carriers have the most generous size/weight allowance.
The only weight limit it seems for carryon bags is the capability to lift the bag into the overhead compartment. Which it seems some exceed
Nurse Traveler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.