Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC Changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by beckoa
That part was rational. Extra connections thru ORD, CLE, IAD etc was more what I was referencing... ah the good ole days

AS had a variant of this years ago too... back when fares were priced as RT, if the fare class was available [Same as purchased], one only paid a change fee [$50 then $75] to move the return date. ^
it's even more absurd now. recently i was able to change SFO-SNA to SFO-EWR-SNA. i didn't do it, but talk about insane PQMs.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Is this new policy published anywhere? I just got off the phone and the elite line insists it's still 10PM the night prior. Unfortunately the app isn't letting me either.

EDIT: The app let me do the change as long as it was 24 hours before the flight I wanted to switch to. Interesting.

Last edited by bworrell; Apr 21, 2018 at 7:19 pm
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I've had problems in the past with SDC in the app where it either fails (app freezes, transaction does not go through) or it goes through but doesn't properly check me in for the new flight, and then even phone agents can't fix it and requires airport lobby intervention. Anyone else encounter this...?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I've had problems in the past with SDC in the app where it either fails (app freezes, transaction does not go through) or it goes through but doesn't properly check me in for the new flight, and then even phone agents can't fix it and requires airport lobby intervention. Anyone else encounter this...?
Yes I have.

Why I'm concerned about SDC'ing twice tomorrow...
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
and why a phone call is ALWAYS wiser ...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
^
Had 4 segments "connecting" tomorrow and only wanted to SDC the first one ANC-SEA. Errored out saying no other flight options were available. Called AS up, SEA based agent moved me from the 12:30 AM departure to 7 AM the previous day. Phone call was at 1 AM at T-23:30 from my original departure.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
^
VX website didn't offer a "change flights" option at T-24 (no surprise), so I called the MVPG line ... the phone agent initially said the SDC window for tomorrow's flights opens at 2200; "uh, no, the rules recently changed" ... she typed for a bit, put me on hold to talk to the reissue desk, and confirmed me on the later departure

I went back to the VX website, verified my KTN and MCS upgrade standby request, and was able to select a Preferred seat
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: AS 100K
flying AS tomorrow, the 24th, on BA Avios award. 75k here. I called in to switch to earlier VX flight and was told that it cannot be done since it's on BA stock. I told agent that I've SDC'd on BA issued AS flights before without any issues. I HUCA'd three times and all three times I was told the same thing, they even confirmed with supervisor, so they say.

Funny thing, I can SDC to another AS flight on the site/app. But the flight time I'd like is on a VX flight hence I have to call in. Are agents right or wrong here?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
flying AS tomorrow, the 24th, on BA Avios award. 75k here. I called in to switch to earlier VX flight and was told that it cannot be done since it's on BA stock. I told agent that I've SDC'd on BA issued AS flights before without any issues. I HUCA'd three times and all three times I was told the same thing, they even confirmed with supervisor, so they say.

Funny thing, I can SDC to another AS flight on the site/app. But the flight time I'd like is on a VX flight hence I have to call in. Are agents right or wrong here?
BA isn't a VX partner, so AS is not going to move the ticket onto what is (in the ticketing system) a VX flight because there is no partner relationship between BA and VX. In about 24 hours, your issue is moot because there are no VX flights and everything is an Alaska flight.

You can see this if you look at SFO-LAS flights on alaskaair.com and aa.com. On the 24th, a bunch of VX flights show up on alaskaair.com as saver, not on AA. Move one day to the 25th, boom, they show up. That's because AA won't ticket a VX flight (VX is not an AA partner), but WILL ticket an AS flight (AS is an AA partner). Same deal for BA. Your ticket is not valid for flying on VX. Yes, I know, AS and VX are already operating on one FAA certificate. For ticketing, the magic day is (sadly for you) the day AFTER tomorrow.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
BA isn't a VX partner, so AS is not going to move the ticket onto what is (in the ticketing system) a VX flight because there is no partner relationship between BA and VX. In about 24 hours, your issue is moot because there are no VX flights and everything is an Alaska flight.

You can see this if you look at SFO-LAS flights on alaskaair.com and aa.com. On the 24th, a bunch of VX flights show up on alaskaair.com as saver, not on AA. Move one day to the 25th, boom, they show up. That's because AA won't ticket a VX flight (VX is not an AA partner), but WILL ticket an AS flight (AS is an AA partner). Same deal for BA. Your ticket is not valid for flying on VX. Yes, I know, AS and VX are already operating on one FAA certificate. For ticketing, the magic day is (sadly for you) the day AFTER tomorrow.
thanks for the reply. I know that starting the 25th, everything will be easy peasy. What threw me off was that I've done this sort of change before (BA stock AS to VX SDC) without any issues. i did it a month ago, agent put me on hold, a few minutes later, I was on VX flight. I guess I just got lucky.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
thanks for the reply. I know that starting the 25th, everything will be easy peasy. What threw me off was that I've done this sort of change before (BA stock AS to VX SDC) without any issues. i did it a month ago, agent put me on hold, a few minutes later, I was on VX flight. I guess I just got lucky.
I would imagine they are a wee bit playing by the rules, given that TODAY is the magic day to change it all over.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:45 pm

Ticketed tomorrow afternoon, planning to fly tomorrow night. App will let me change to earlier flights but not later, so I assume I'll be able to at 24 hours prior to the flight I want to be on.
Edit: success

Last edited by ucdtim17; Apr 25, 2018 at 8:18 pm
Old May 3, 2018, 11:03 am

Agents still not aware of new policy. Called in ahead of T-24 for my ticketed flight to switch to earlier flight, agent said I have to wait until 10 pm. Hung up, waited until T-24, switched to earlier flight in app.
Old May 6, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Agents still not aware of new policy. Called in ahead of T-24 for my ticketed flight to switch to earlier flight, agent said I have to wait until 10 pm. Hung up, waited until T-24, switched to earlier flight in app.
This is getting really dumb. I posted my experience up thread a bit, but the agent gave me $50 "because the Alaska twitter agent gave me wrong information" when I tried to change at T-24 and couldn't. I just waited until T-24 for my desired flight (long before 10pm) and the app let me do it.

I really wish this new policy was posted somewhere that we could point uninformed agents to....
Old May 11, 2018, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by bworrell
I really wish this new policy was posted somewhere that we could point uninformed agents to....
The new policy is now online, but says it's only for SDCs on/after June 5. I just tried to SDC today and encountered the same situation: mobile app would let me SDC at check-in, but the phone reps saw no SDC availability in their system until 10pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.