Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updates on 737 MAX for AS?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I am not a small guy. I have (successfully!) used the smaller restrooms of Delta's 739ERs and refurbed Airbus 319/320s. If you have ever used a CRJ-200 restroom dimensions will be familiar. I don't spend too much time in airplane lavs. I don't think you'll find that the average person does. Seat pitch and seat design have a lot more to do with passenger comfort.

AS puts 159 seats on a 738. UA and DL put 160. American is putting 172 on its Max 8s and refurbed 738s. Don't confuse a miserable airline configuration with inherent aircraft comfort.
flyupfrnt, CalanMan and jinglish like this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you have ever used a CRJ-200 restroom dimensions will be familiar.
I haven't. And no intention to try it. Q400 lav is another "adventure" I leave to others. (and literally every trip for me starts with one of those two planes).
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
You guys are completely ignoring the fact that the MAX lavatories are NOT UNIQUE TO THE MAX.
Delta, United, and American are all using them, too.
But the newly delivered 737NG's at United and Delta were already fitted with them.

So don't blame MAX.

And I'm really looking forward to the CFM LEAP engines. From YouTube videos, they sound like the big GE's, which I like.
Beyond that, sure, it's just another 737.

But it's worth noting, amongst all of you guys .....ing about a worse experience in Y, that at least United (unlike American) has kept the same 737-9ER config for the MAX.
Maybe Alaska will do the same!
ashill likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Legend717
You guys are completely ignoring the fact that the MAX lavatories are NOT UNIQUE TO THE MAX.
But the newly delivered 737NG's at United and Delta were already fitted with them.
So don't blame MAX.
So, that means we can blame UA and DL for the worlds problems, right!? If the planned Recaro whY seats are about the same as the current 737-900ER seats, I'll be happy to try out the MAX. I might even venture back to the lav just for shiggles.

And I'm really looking forward to the CFM LEAP engines. From YouTube videos, they sound like the big GE's, which I like.
I may AvGeek from time to time, but my headphones are in for takeoff and most of the flight, so meh - it's just another 737.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Yes, I've experienced them on UA's new 737s.

Are they smaller than before? Yes. But the comments about not being able to turn around or wash hands are completely blown out of proportion, unless you're nearing a 'passenger-of-size'.

My one complaint is that it's difficult to wash your hands without splashing water everywhere.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by DrAlex
So, that means we can blame UA and DL for the worlds problems, right!? If the planned Recaro whY seats are about the same as the current 737-900ER seats, I'll be happy to try out the MAX. I might even venture back to the lav just for shiggles.

I may AvGeek from time to time, but my headphones are in for takeoff and most of the flight, so meh - it's just another 737.
Well, I prefer to blame UA for all the world's problems, but hey, to each his own!

Regarding sound/noise/geekery, sure, but a significant portion of what I'm talking about is the QUIET NATURE of said engines. The A320 tends to have a quieter cabin (YMMV, of course) than my beloved 737s, so I'm hoping that the LEAP upgrade will improve on that.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Well, I prefer to blame UA for all the world's problems, but hey, to each his own!

Regarding sound/noise/geekery, sure, but a significant portion of what I'm talking about is the QUIET NATURE of said engines. The A320 tends to have a quieter cabin (YMMV, of course) than my beloved 737s, so I'm hoping that the LEAP upgrade will improve on that.
I flew on a VX A319 a couple of weeks ago after MONTHS and MONTHS of flying on AS 737s. I sat in Y maybe a row or two in front of the exit row. Our take-off roll was so quiet it made me think of how it took the Sky Interior for Boeing to match Airbus' narrowbody cabin noise. It's night and day! The only noisy part about Airbus planes us during TO/Landing rolls where the interior furnishings rattle/squeak a lot
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The MAX will be worse than the 739 because there will be more passengers. Longer to board, longer to offload. And with these miserably dense Y cabins, that's just more time for misery. And no, AS is not unique - this is true pretty much across carriers.

The fact is, US airlines are buying the 737 MAX so they can fly more passengers at a lower cost. That's overall bad news for passenger comfort.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Kacee
The MAX will be worse than the 739 because there will be more passengers. Longer to board, longer to offload. And with these miserably dense Y cabins, that's just more time for misery. And no, AS is not unique - this is true pretty much across carriers.
Do you have a source on that? I was under the impression that Alaska was keeping the passenger count about the same but I don't remember if there is an official source or not.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Apr 3, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Does this mean we get ANC-LIH?

*not sure if there is improved takeoff performance or not.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

So don't blame MAX.

But it's worth noting, amongst all of you guys .....ing about a worse experience in Y, that at least United (unlike American) has kept the same 737-9ER config for the MAX.
Maybe Alaska will do the same!

+1

It’s the configuration, not the aircraft. Airlines can configure any plane to be comfortable or uncomfortable. Increasingly, they’re choosing the latter, especially when a new fleet comes on the property. But anyone who thinks those uncomfortable configurations (including incredibly narrow lavs) won’t fairly quickly migrate to the existing fleet is kidding themselves, IMO.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee

The fact is, US airlines are buying the 737 MAX so they can fly more passengers at a lower cost. That's overall bad news for passenger comfort.
You don't have your facts straight. The cabins of the MAX8 and MAX9 -the only two variants Alaska has ordered- are the SAME SIZE as their NG predecessors.
So whether there are more people in the plane or not has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE AIRFRAME.
Take AA; they're re-configuring their 737-800s to match the MAX configuration. AND also some of their Airbusses are getting densified...
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
My concern with MAX is will they have fixed the terrible front wheel shudder that’s so prevalent in 737 first class just after the aircraft takes off until the front wheel stops spinning? That isn’t necessary. There is a solution.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:48 pm

Order for 15 Max 8s converted to Max 9s, bringing total to 32 https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-max-9-448357/
Old May 4, 2018, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Order for 15 Max 8s converted to Max 9s, bringing total to 32 https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-max-9-448357/
Thanks for posting that link.
I find it interesting that Alaska has stuck with the -9, rather than jumping on the -10 bandwagon.
Perhaps their infrastructure network isn't really compatible with that longer airframe. Or perhaps they don't think they'd get enough benefits out of it to justify the investment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.