AS / VX Dysfunction

Old Mar 26, 18, 9:40 pm
  #1  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,247
AS / VX Dysfunction

Flying SAN-SFO today in F. Finish work early, so I call VX to change to an earlier flight. Call auto-transferred to AS. Rep says yes, there are seats available, confirms $25 fee for the change, says he has to do this manually, puts me on hold. Comes back five minutes later, says his "lead" insists I have to pay an upfare of $240. I say "I'm pretty sure same day change should be into any seat for $25." Puts me back on hold, comes back ten minutes later, says "yes, you're right, we can do that. I'm on hold with Virgin to process the change, I'm going to have to put you back on hold."

35 minutes later (50 mins total now) . . . I've walked to my hotel, used the restroom, retrieved my bag, and ubered to the airport . . . still on hold. Get to the VX check-in counter and figure might as well hang up because they can process it here, right? VX check-in agent resists, says "they're still working on your ticket, I don't want to touch it." I kind of lose it, tell him I've been on hold for 35 minutes and I'm not going to just stand off to the side waiting for this to fix itself. I'm seriously ready to go buy a walk-up ticket on UA. Dude fiddles with his keyboard for about 60 seconds, hands me a BP in F for the earlier flight (which goes out with 2 empty F seats).

Anyone else running into this sort of dysfunction dealing with VX flights as they "integrate" with AS?
Kacee is offline  
Old Mar 26, 18, 10:00 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Au, AA LT Pt (2.9 MM), UA Au (meaningless), HH Au, Wyndham Pt
Posts: 1,165
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Anyone else running into this sort of dysfunction dealing with VX flights as they "integrate" with AS?
Yes.
TheDudeAbides is offline  
Old Mar 26, 18, 10:00 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 280
Yep.




I’ve had just about everything go wrong on the 5 flights I’ve taken with them this year- I got bumped entirely from a flight in February, got an involuntary downgrade with duplicate seat assignments today. I’ve had MCS upgrades fail entirely as well. These were very straightforward tickets booked on Alaska and confirmed over the phone (always call to check your upgrade request went through) and at the check in desk, but at this point until the door closes it’s a crapshoot.

I booked everything with low expectations but even those haven’t been met. This is to say nothing of the fact their east coast ops don’t seem particularly resilient.
bkojote is offline  
Old Mar 26, 18, 11:36 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,247
I looked for a master thread on this kind of thing but didn't see one.

I get the sense this is not getting better anytime soon.
Kacee is offline  
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:28 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle WA
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott LT Gold
Posts: 1,759
I think most here would tell you that it gets a lot better in less than a month, when VX's separate reservation system goes away...

The AS systems have their quirks, but the agents know how to use them and the scenario you describe in the OP will be a non-issue then.
Tracer_SEA is offline  
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:50 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DEN / CGK
Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,532
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA View Post
I think most here would tell you that it gets a lot better in less than a month, when VX's separate reservation system goes away...

The AS systems have their quirks, but the agents know how to use them and the scenario you describe in the OP will be a non-issue then.
I hold out hope that this is true. But I feel we'll run into new kinds of 'issues' that shouldn't be happening. Right now it's a total cluster.
pushmyredbutton is offline  
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:54 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Posts: 4,607
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA View Post
I think most here would tell you that it gets a lot better in less than a month, when VX's separate reservation system goes away...

The AS systems have their quirks, but the agents know how to use them and the scenario you describe in the OP will be a non-issue then.
Maybe in SEA they do but what about in SFO where the agents are largely from VX and have very little experience with the AS system? They will not have the benefit of years of working around the quirks to help them.
sfozrhfco is offline  
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:02 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP Gold
Posts: 1,319
Flying SEA-SFO next week. I specifically avoided the flights operated by VX (which is most of them) to avoid these problems.
captobie likes this.
jsguyrus is offline  
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:10 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,247
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
I hold out hope that this is true. But I feel we'll run into new kinds of 'issues' that shouldn't be happening. Right now it's a total cluster.
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
Maybe in SEA they do but what about in SFO where the agents are largely from VX and have very little experience with the AS system? They will not have the benefit of years of working around the quirks to help them.
Yeah my sense that the problems are going to continue was based both on experience with the CO/UA merger (which didn't get really bad until they tried to switch everything) and the fact that all the VX agents at SAN seemed really unhappy. That's a bad sign going into a merger.
Kacee is offline  
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:20 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 18,067
I've had problems with VX booked tickets solely on VX system with no AS involvement. VX system is a piece of garbage. Sounds like all of these problems are from VX flights booked under the AS code. These won't exists regardless of how much experience the rep has with AS systems. Having gone through many mergers, i always book through the operating airlines website as it never goes well when book the codeshare.
ptownca likes this.
CDKing is offline  
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:34 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SFO, mostly
Posts: 1,898
Agree with CDKing. I used to have issues with VX booked tickets flown on VX prior to the merger. So these reports donít surprise me.
sltlyamusd is offline  
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:43 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 60
Regarding to the long hold time, they let most VX call center people go (they were contractors) a few weeks ago. I have waited 2 hours each for the two times I tried to talk to a VX agent because none of the AS agents know anything about the VX system.

Why can't they just hold on to those agents for another month?

Use 844-204-8348, none of the other elevate phone numbers work.
The ITDA is offline  
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:04 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Between SFO and STS
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Posts: 730
Hey, spin this to your advantage. If you are experiencing problems, voice it to CS or the AS Twitter Team. I would imagine they are shelling out a lot of compensation right now during this transition. As noted above, it is expected there are going to be significant problems for the next month. If you have a problem, let AS know about it. That's one of the reasons many of us continue to support AS - the execution may not always be perfect, but CS is almost always apologetic and generous.
DrAlex is offline  
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:10 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DEN / CGK
Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,532
Originally Posted by DrAlex View Post
Hey, spin this to your advantage. If you are experiencing problems, voice it to CS or the AS Twitter Team. I would imagine they are shelling out a lot of compensation right now during this transition. As noted above, it is expected there are going to be significant problems for the next month. If you have a problem, let AS know about it. That's one of the reasons many of us continue to support AS - the execution may not always be perfect, but CS is almost always apologetic and generous.
Lately, they haven't responded to any of my concerns either by AlaskaListens or the feedback form when it comes to AS/VX issues and how they've been leaving me stranded/middle seat/standby etc.

Not sure what's up, but it's totally turning me off to the brand.
pushmyredbutton is offline  
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:20 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Between SFO and STS
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Posts: 730
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
Lately, they haven't responded to any of my concerns either by AlaskaListens or the feedback form when it comes to AS/VX issues and how they've been leaving me stranded/middle seat/standby etc.
Not sure what's up, but it's totally turning me off to the brand.
Yeah, that seems to take a fortnight or longer. I believe the Twitter team is most equipped for a quick reply and fair compensation. @rune87 contacted them yesterday about a wonky tray table and got immediate attention.
DrAlex is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: