Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS / VX Dysfunction

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: AS
Today had experience I did not expect. Looked at my reservations for the next few months. Made 3 months ago for travel in June and July.
Saw the red "need to call because of change" on two of them.
Called and was told that the Flight # I had booked was cancelled and they went ahead and booked me on the next flight.
Now, the problem is, I specifically booked Airbus Metal (aka Virgin) flights in First for both of those flights.Even paid a premium for those flights over AS F Fares.
Agent said, "you are on the next flight 30 minutes later".
NOT HAPPY, this is because it is AS 900 for those new flights. I asked politely if she could change me to closest VX flight, explaining I wanted to fly on airbus metal.
AS position is that since the change is less than 40 minutes, they can not do the change without charges. I look at it as a cancellation and re booking.
WAS wondering if change/cancel rule for AS covers this since technically they will be AS by then .
Thoughts?? Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
Today had experience I did not expect. Looked at my reservations for the next few months. Made 3 months ago for travel in June and July.
Called and was told that the Flight # I had booked was cancelled and they went ahead and booked me on the next flight.
Now, the problem is, I specifically booked Airbus Metal (aka Virgin) flights in First for both of those flights.Even paid a premium for those flights over AS F Fares.
NOT HAPPY, this is because it is AS 900 for those new flights. I asked politely if she could change me to closest VX flight, explaining I wanted to fly on airbus metal.
AS position is that since the change is less than 40 minutes, they can not do the change without charges. I look at it as a cancellation and re booking.
WAS wondering if change/cancel rule for AS covers this since technically they will be AS by then .
Thoughts?? Thanks
HUCA until you get on pmVX metal again?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thoughts?? Thanks
I think you're toast, other than a goodwill plea. Furthermore, you did pay an AS F fare, it was just in a higher fare bucket when you booked, presumably because the F cabin only has 8 years (as opposed to the 12 or 16 on the Boeing metal). Further Furthermore, you could still end up on AS metal even if you're rebooked on an Airbus right now.

If it were me, I'd ask for a fare difference between whatever fare you booked and the available (assuming) P fare at the time that you could have booked on the Boeing plane.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Thoughts?? Thanks
There was no VX sold post-4/24. If you inferred an Airbus plane was a VX flight that was on you. AS sold it as AS.

That said, AS does have an airfare guarantee, and you can get a credit if your new flight is cheaper. Or you can change your ticket (no change fee for Golds and up or anybody outside 60 days).
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by Skyjumper
They have certainly burned up all their good will with VX fliers in SF. At this point I've been unable to even fly AS or VX this year. Either the flight times were awful, getting to where I needed to go required a connection in Seattle (way out of the way) or they were so much more expensive than the options provided by United or Delta that I had no choice. Most recently they were double the price of United between SFO and LAS for flights at roughly the same time with lots of available seats on both. I'm really feeling like they're trying to force me back to United (oh please no, not that!)
Oh noes. I personally would do everything to avoid UA. It's simply a no go airline for me. The AS F pricing to the East Coast has been crazy. When I could fly VX F to SFO and then take Jetblue Mint for less money than AS F non stop to BOS from SEA is telling.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by ptownca
Oh noes. I personally would do everything to avoid UA. It's simply a no go airline for me. The AS F pricing to the East Coast has been crazy. When I could fly VX F to SFO and then take Jetblue Mint for less money than AS F non stop to BOS from SEA is telling.
Indeed. I'm flying UA F SFO-BOS on Sunday... it was $400 cheaper than AS/VX for lieflat. I usually only have to fly UA a couple of times a year but if this keeps up it will be more often.
NoLaGent likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.