Wiki Posts
Search

AS / VX Dysfunction

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by CalanMan
Only one of these things can be true.
Both statements can be true. Upgrade benefits harmonize on 4/25 and the chocolate benefit harmonizes a bit later.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by dayone
Both statements can be true. Upgrade benefits harmonize on 4/25 and the chocolate benefit harmonizes a bit later.
Sorry I wasn't more clear about which two things are mutually exclusive. Obviously the two lines from the table on the website can both be true. But
...starting this fall, our elites will enjoy complimentary upgrades like they currently do on our Boeing aircraft.
and
April 25, 2018 Upgrade benefits match standard Alaska Mileage Plan elite benefits by tier
can't both be.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Sorry I wasn't more clear about which two things are mutually exclusive. Obviously the two lines from the table on the website can both be true. But

and

can't both be.
Upgrade benefits on Airbus aircraft begin on 4/25. Starting this fall, upgrades will be available to the new F cabin.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Upgrade benefits on Airbus aircraft begin on 4/25. Starting this fall, upgrades will be available to the new F cabin.
This is how I read it ^
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sjbsf
I just followed a link I received about my elite benefits after the merger. I understand why some things might not be available immediately on April 25th. But the website says the complimentary drink and free chocolate won't be available until "early summer 2018". It's not a huge deal, but I'd expect that could be done immediately without any system transition issues. I'm flying on 4/25 and am going to ask for my free cocktail!
Free chocolate? I didn't think that was ever an "official" elite benefit...at least not anywhere I saw in writing....and that's probably a good thing given the fact that I almost never see those chocolate bars anymore. We had a thread (I think) about the chocolate bars and there was a preference poll about the type of chocolate bar, but many folks (including myself) reported almost never seeing the chocolate bars and then the thread sorta disappeared into the sunset, like the chocolate bars....at some point I think someone mentioned that the chocolate bars are loaded on the planes, but they have to be requested....lol.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Free chocolate? I didn't think that was ever an "official" elite benefit...at least not anywhere I saw in writing....and that's probably a good thing given the fact that I almost never see those chocolate bars anymore. We had a thread (I think) about the chocolate bars and there was a preference poll about the type of chocolate bar, but many folks (including myself) reported almost never seeing the chocolate bars and then the thread sorta disappeared into the sunset, like the chocolate bars....at some point I think someone mentioned that the chocolate bars are loaded on the planes, but they have to be requested....lol.
Oh they do exist still... I've had them this year.

As far as something in writing, there was this bit:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/food-and-...le-chocolates/

Plus the email received today ^
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Before I balied SEA, as an MPVG, I never had to ask for the chocolate or cocktail. I don't drink on planes, but appreciated the gesture.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Alaska is getting the VX FAs the handheld devices which will show them who is who on each plane. They won't have enough available on 4/25 for all the VX staff & planes (60+ and 1700 FAs?)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Alaska is getting the VX FAs the handheld devices which will show them who is who on each plane. They won't have enough available on 4/25 for all the VX staff & planes (60+ and 1700 FAs?)
Sounds like an excuse. They had plenty of time to get ready. Use a paper manifest as a workaround.
getoffthe grid likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Yeah, as an MVPG, in past years it used to be about 50/50 between being proactively handed a chocolate and thanked for my loyalty and having to ask for one. Last six months or so, it's been 0/100 where the 100 is having to ask "do you have any gold chocolates today"? Luckily, I'm batting around 1.000 when it comes to an affirmative answer to that question. More luckily, I'm also batting around 1.000 when it comes to getting the San Juan Sea Salt variety, which is one of my favorites.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
The VX acquisition has improved the amount of routes available to earn AS miles on ^ and soon more upgrade opportunities...
Seems to me that since the acquisition was announced the amount of routes available to earn on has dropped significantly with the loss Delta, American, Air France-KLM and Aero Mexico as partners. They've added Are Lingus, Condor, JAL and Finnair but that hardly makes up for the loss.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ptownca
Here is an interesting think exercise: Which airline merger has been beneficial for fliers?

AS management has made a mess of this merger, with all the goodwill VX fliers had at the beginning. I'm just lucky I was able to go home to BOS and enjoy B6.
They have certainly burned up all their good will with VX fliers in SF. At this point I've been unable to even fly AS or VX this year. Either the flight times were awful, getting to where I needed to go required a connection in Seattle (way out of the way) or they were so much more expensive than the options provided by United or Delta that I had no choice. Most recently they were double the price of United between SFO and LAS for flights at roughly the same time with lots of available seats on both. I'm really feeling like they're trying to force me back to United (oh please no, not that!)
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I have both used GGUs and had instant upgrades work for me on post-4/25 A320s, so this also caught me by surprise
I just used a GGU to fly what's hopefully pmVX metal to DAL (and nail down MVPG by making a connection). So clearly the upgrades are working for post-4/25 on at least THAT upgrade path.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Flew VX SEA SFO last week, and I got a free drink on the way down because I asked if they were doing that yet for the 75ks. The FAs said they have not been told about that yet, but gave it to me anyway as a thank you for being a MVPG75k. They even gave one to my DH, who is an MVP. I have gotten the chocolate on my AS flights when not in coach in the last few weeks but have asked for it about half the time.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Yep. I'm already on the upgrade list for BOS-LAX on 4/27. I've been waitlisted for a few months now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.