Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS / VX Dysfunction

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Always....in fact, I would have just enjoyed the extra time in SAN and wait it out til my scheduled flight rather than sit on the phone forever (which is what I would totally expect until after April 24th when the integration completes).
Yes, had a similar experience the other night. Took 1h40m on hold getting punted back and forth between AS and VX with AS quoting nonsense about VX policies.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS
We have flights booked for May and June. We did this back in January. A premium was paid for VX metal and F class of service. Now realizing that what we paid for will no longer be available. No heads up from AS that they are removing or downgrading things Flyers valued in the VX product. Just the date of acquisition by AS.
SAD DAY!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Nailed it!

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:28 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It kind of boggles me that a FTer who presumably knows more than the average flier can say things like “a premium was paid for VX metal” when it’s been obvious and telegraphed for months that VX isn’t the surviving airline, AS is. VX did not buy AS. It was the other way around. AS had repeatedly said they are standardizing on AS service standards, after due consideration. Yes, I know we all wanted VX service at AS prices or AS upgrade policies. Well, it’s not happening.

With all due respect, cancel your tickets and get your money back if you don’t like it. AS doesn’t think there is money to be made in white recliners and unlimited snacks in premium coach. The only way to teach them is if enough people hit them in the pocketbook. (Given VX’s record over the last decade, the evidence is at best mixed on whether their model was a good one compared to everyone else’s.)
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
FWIW, and it may not be all that much, this merger is going a whole lot more smoothly than others of the recent past.

Things like "let's use the inept reservations system of the smaller carrier and transfer everything over from the larger carrier, say a prayer, and then go to confession when disaster strikes" is not happening here. Overall, we're having relatively insignificant issues. Pretty much everyone is going where they intended, when they intended, and although they may not be in the seat they wanted, or ate the food they wanted, I'm sure that they were thrown some travel credit crumbs when they complained.

I'm not making any excuses. Things could have gone a bit more smoothly. But it could have gone a whole lot worse.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ptownca
Here is an interesting think exercise: Which airline merger has been beneficial for fliers?

AS management has made a mess of this merger, with all the goodwill VX fliers had at the beginning. I'm just lucky I was able to go home to BOS and enjoy B6.
The VX acquisition has improved the amount of routes available to earn AS miles on ^ and soon more upgrade opportunities...
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa
The VX acquisition has improved the amount of routes available to earn AS miles on ^ and soon more upgrade opportunities...
Um, no. I've lost the entire domestic AA system, save the code shares.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
FWIW, and it may not be all that much, this merger is going a whole lot more smoothly than others of the recent past.

Things like "let's use the inept reservations system of the smaller carrier and transfer everything over from the larger carrier, say a prayer, and then go to confession when disaster strikes" is not happening here. Overall, we're having relatively insignificant issues. Pretty much everyone is going where they intended, when they intended, and although they may not be in the seat they wanted, or ate the food they wanted, I'm sure that they were thrown some travel credit crumbs when they complained.

I'm not making any excuses. Things could have gone a bit more smoothly. But it could have gone a whole lot worse.
Agree 100%. Aside from folks losing the VX product they enjoyed, (and we knew it would be going away) the biggest hiccup seems to be miles posting in a slow batch format. Will see how things go on the 25th, but with VX' legacy systems being drawn down, it should be ok. ^
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by pcoll
We have flights booked for May and June. We did this back in January. A premium was paid for VX metal and F class of service. Now realizing that what we paid for will no longer be available. No heads up from AS that they are removing or downgrading things Flyers valued in the VX product. Just the date of acquisition by AS.
SAD DAY!
Were they selling VX flights back in January for May/June travel? Sounds like you may have inferred that an AS flight on Airbus equipment would be VX. Though I don't believe AS ever communicated anything of the sort.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:36 pm

Uhh, I beg to differ on 'the merger's going smoothly' as an east coast flier.

Since their October consolidation I don't think I've had a single Virgin America flight departing JFK go correctly (tally is 5), ranging from check-in meltdowns to upgrades not processing to getting bumped from my seat to getting bumped from my flight. These are on standard, straightforward tickets booked on Virgin metal through Alaska, and I'm wagering all of this has been caused by Alaska prematurely axing VX support and trying to wing it. Given the consistently glacial pace of check-in lines on both coasts and the 20+ minute wait to have anything done over the phone, such irregularities don't seem to be abnormal. And of course the two times I've paid $250.00 to upgrade to first class (and my seat wasn't given away!) the flights were mis-catered.

The bumped flights have given me plenty of time to sit in the dumpster fire that is their consolidated ground operations at JFK. Alaska's hardly the only airline with an unfavorable terminal move, but they've handled it worse than any other airline I know of. (I will say good luck finding anywhere to use a $15.00 meal voucher.) Contrast with Delta at LAX or American at LGA or even JetBlue at MAT, where all of the airlines provided something to club members or fliers. So I've got an Alaska Lounge membership that doesn't really provide any substantial value for 50% of my flights (unless I'm flying AA!)

Then there's the condition of the rest of the terminal itself, which I've ragged on plenty, but it's a year in and it looks like this:

Do I expect hiccups? Of course, I booked my tickets knowing it'd be my last chances to fly the VX product before it goes away and was willing to put up with rough edges (plus I need to finish off my travel bank) but it's been unbelievably bad. Last week I ended up just giving up and rebooked a transcon ticket on JetBlue, and it made my recent travels on VX look like an exercise in masochism.
ptownca likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just think, in two short weeks you'll be able to complain that ex-VX workers aren't adequately trained in the AS system. And that may be true, for a few. You'll also be complaining about workers that have been with AS their entire careers, and about workers who are using the system & rules properly and just won't give you what you want.

If the DL/NW acquisition is any guide, their will be a core of complainers still whining ten years from now.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Um, no. I've lost the entire domestic AA system, save the code shares.
I generally avoid partner metal as it doesn't count towards that special counter for lifetime MVPG... then again I am a bit unique on where and how I fly to destinations. For me its expanded.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Gold 75K
I just followed a link I received about my elite benefits after the merger. I understand why some things might not be available immediately on April 25th. But the website says the complimentary drink and free chocolate won't be available until "early summer 2018". It's not a huge deal, but I'd expect that could be done immediately without any system transition issues. I'm flying on 4/25 and am going to ask for my free cocktail!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by sjbsf
I just followed a link I received about my elite benefits after the merger. I understand why some things might not be available immediately on April 25th. But the website says the complimentary drink and free chocolate won't be available until "early summer 2018". It's not a huge deal, but I'd expect that could be done immediately without any system transition issues. I'm flying on 4/25 and am going to ask for my free cocktail!
It also said

As Virgin America-branded Airbus planes get reconfigured starting this fall, our elites will enjoy complimentary upgrades like they currently do on our Boeing aircraft.
U space is available beginning 4/25, and I believe others here have successfully used GGUs on VX metal after that date. Maybe instant upgrades too? But does this mean that complimentary upgrades are blocked until reconfig or elites just won't enjoy the greater possibility of a complimentary upgrade like they do on Boeing until the Airbus F cabin goes to 12?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
As Virgin America-branded Airbus planes get reconfigured starting this fall, our elites will enjoy complimentary upgrades like they currently do on our Boeing aircraft.
Originally Posted by rustykettel
U space is available beginning 4/25, and I believe others here have successfully used GGUs on VX metal after that date. Maybe instant upgrades too? But does this mean that complimentary upgrades are blocked until reconfig or elites just won't enjoy the greater possibility of a complimentary upgrade like they do on Boeing until the Airbus F cabin goes to 12?
I have both used GGUs and had instant upgrades work for me on post-4/25 A320s, so this also caught me by surprise. The only interpretation of this that I can see would be that complementary upgrades on "non-qualifying fares" at T-120/72/48/1 won't be happening until reconfig. However, on the "flight plan" website they link to, under "Mileage Plan members", they say:
Flying on Virgin America-branded or Airbus aircraft
April 25, 2018
Upgrade benefits match standard Alaska Mileage Plan elite benefits by tier

Early summer 2018 All standard Mileage Plan benefits apply, including a complimentary premium beverage or chocolate for MVP Gold and 75K members.
So that seems to contradict the above. Only one of these things can be true. I hope the latter, but either way, I think this communication can fairly be put in the "merger dysfunction" category.

I'm flying on a non-qualifying fare on an AS Airbus the morning of 4/25. I'll report back, though I totally expect things to be really rough right then. Even within a day or two, things will hopefully be a bit more smoothed out.

Last edited by CalanMan; Apr 16, 2018 at 12:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.