Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS / VX Dysfunction

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by channa
In 2 weeks, those flights will be AS and subject to free upgrades for MVPs and higher. In other words, there won't be any F seats to standby for, so the net outcome will be the same.
Are you allow to standby for a nearby airport on AS? I wasn't aware you could go from SJC to SFO...

If so:
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Man, this transition is KILLING me as a (former) Elevate Gold since 2012 based out of SFO.

Every flight is a roll of the dice in terms of upgrades, experience, and available amenities these days.

Now no more food/snacks in MCS?

None of my MC to MCS upgrades have been processing in the last month plus.

Flew 4 AS/VX segments this week (two RT's from SFO to DEN: VX1865 & VX 1868))... All four flights were all over the place in terms of experience and available amenities. 2 MC segments weren't upgraded, two flights I bought MCS outright since no upgrades have been processing lately, but discovered they've now removed food/snacks service and IFE ordering. Two flights no wifi.

I have SIX more AS/VX segments coming up in the next 18 days and am seriously considering rebooking elsewhere and abandoning this nonsense at Alaska. Will all this actually improve after April 25th?

Has anyone else seen the new message when you press the "EAT" button on the IFE?

"Please enjoy a totally new sensory experience with the flavors of the world, a delightful choice of entrees, tapas sized appetizers and desserts on select flights. The in-flight team will let you know the offerings on this flight"

However, the crew did not have any food/snacks to offer MCS. Beverage orders were taken verbally, including complimentary beer/wine/spirits for MCS.

Has anyone else experienced the no wifi and no MCS food/snacks lately?

Please reassure me things are going to get better

Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by mixmastermark

Thanks.
Hmmm...we had WIFI and the eat function still had normal listing of drinks and VX snacks when I flew about 10 days ago.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Man, this transition is KILLING me as a (former) Elevate Gold since 2012 based out of SFO.

Every flight is a roll of the dice in terms of upgrades, experience, and available amenities these days.

Now no more food/snacks in MCS?

Thanks.
Not sure what you are expecting. In a couple weeks MCS will not exist hence obviously the amenities will not exist either. Red is going away soon as well so no seat back entertainment will be there. SFO-DEN flights are gone too so you don't have to worry about taking another flight on AS/VX to Denver. Things will gradually transition to AS configuration/food offerings/amenities. If that works for you, great. If not, time to check out other options. VX is dead so embrace AS or select another airline.
DrAlex likes this.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Apr 13, 2018 at 2:54 pm
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Thanks.
Sounds like things are becoming streamlined.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by channa
In 2 weeks, those flights will be AS and subject to free upgrades for MVPs and higher. In other words, there won't be any F seats to standby for, so the net outcome will be the same.
Indeed in two weeks it will be a free same day change and there is usually a seat kept around until an hour before departure if you are in paid F.

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Are you allow to standby for a nearby airport on AS? I wasn't aware you could go from SJC to SFO...

If so:
I know need to figure out the specifics here... I hope it is co-terminal for OAK/SFO/SJC, EWR/JFK, BWI/DCA/IAD. Anyone know how this is going to go? Definitely would make AS more competitive with carriers that have more frequency.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPeter
I know need to figure out the specifics here... I hope it is co-terminal for OAK/SFO/SJC, EWR/JFK, BWI/DCA/IAD. Anyone know how this is going to go? Definitely would make AS more competitive with carriers that have more frequency.
It would be nice to have but it is not an actual benefit. I could be wrong but I haven't heard anything to indicate this is coming.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:02 pm

The thing is it's still existing now pre 4/26. They're charging for it.

It kind of grinds me that I paid $250.00 to upgrade to F from MCS but the product was already stripped down to the new Alaska service/catering last month. I get the meals aren't going to be as good, but at the very least they could've kept the PDB and bag of chips around until it becomes a comp upgrade.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Not sure what you are expecting. In a couple weeks MCS will not exist hence obviously the amenities will not exist either. Red is going away soon as well so no seat back entertainment will be there. SFO-DEN flights are gone too so you don't have to worry about taking another flight on AS/VX to Denver. Things will gradually transition to AS configuration/food offerings/amenities. If that works for you, great. If not, time to check out other options. VX is dead so embrace AS or select another airline.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
A friend at Alaska "in the know" said there are a few planes with broken RED systems, and they had to disable online ordering (that may have been the part that wasn't working). Coupled with the A321 NEO juggling/issues, and they haven't had time to get things fixed.

I've had a handful of flights where my order never went thru, only to find out 30 mins later, they were completely out of food (no good on a transcon. That incident was a few months ago. I don't think I've had a flight where everything went according to plan.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Flying SAN-SFO today in F. Finish work early, so I call VX to change to an earlier flight. Call auto-transferred to AS. Rep says yes, there are seats available, confirms $25 fee for the change, says he has to do this manually, puts me on hold. Comes back five minutes later, says his "lead" insists I have to pay an upfare of $240. I say "I'm pretty sure same day change should be into any seat for $25." Puts me back on hold, comes back ten minutes later, says "yes, you're right, we can do that. I'm on hold with Virgin to process the change, I'm going to have to put you back on hold."

35 minutes later (50 mins total now) . . . I've walked to my hotel, used the restroom, retrieved my bag, and ubered to the airport . . . still on hold. Get to the VX check-in counter and figure might as well hang up because they can process it here, right? VX check-in agent resists, says "they're still working on your ticket, I don't want to touch it." I kind of lose it, tell him I've been on hold for 35 minutes and I'm not going to just stand off to the side waiting for this to fix itself. I'm seriously ready to go buy a walk-up ticket on UA. Dude fiddles with his keyboard for about 60 seconds, hands me a BP in F for the earlier flight (which goes out with 2 empty F seats).

Anyone else running into this sort of dysfunction dealing with VX flights as they "integrate" with AS?
Always....in fact, I would have just enjoyed the extra time in SAN and wait it out til my scheduled flight rather than sit on the phone forever (which is what I would totally expect until after April 24th when the integration completes).
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:58 pm

I agree that the changes are coming but as of now, VX is still charging for upgrades and all these items. I feel like that AS is already streamlining MCS to be more like "Premium Class" on AS, which costs only a fraction of MCS. I think passengers have a right to complain because they are not promised the same product as the former Virgin America, while still paying the Virgin America's price. It is a ripoff.

This transition in the cabin product has been disappointing because Alaska has done a pretty good job in keeping everyone informed about the changes of Mileage Plan/Elevate, but when it comes to the actual service, like catering and entertainment, Alaska has kept passengers in the dark. Things just popped up and the bad customer experiences results not from the actual product but not fulfilling the expectation, especially from former Virgin America frequent guests.

Carfield
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Carfield
I think passengers have a right to complain because they are not promised the same product as the former Virgin America, while still paying the Virgin America's price. It is a ripoff.

This transition in the cabin product has been disappointing because Alaska has done a pretty good job in keeping everyone informed about the changes of Mileage Plan/Elevate, but when it comes to the actual service, like catering and entertainment, Alaska has kept passengers in the dark. Things just popped up and the bad customer experiences results not from the actual product but not fulfilling the expectation, especially from former Virgin America frequent guests.

Carfield
This is the one thing I really don’t understand about AS and why I stopped flying VX 6 months ago. The problem with certain aircraft not having Red working started over a year ago. They never formally announced last year when they started disabling live TV. I am sure they are running out of VX snacks etc so are just not bothering to order more as they won’t need them in a few days. It has been death by 1000 cuts to make AS customers think that they are not missing out on anything from the demise of VX and sets up constant disappointment for VX customers that are expecting one product and sometimes getting the full product or perhaps get a small part of it-seemingly at random. If they set expectations low and just stopped charging for upgrades,etc it would have been easier to stomach. Keeping the physical red system but gutting all the content and food options just sets everybody up for disappointment.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:24 pm

It would be helpful if AS could communicate what the “interim” VX metal product will be until AS actually starts reconfiguring these birds with new seats. The fact that AS has dialed back the VX product I’m not hugely surprised by, given that they have had a SOC since Jan 11, but I agree that it makes me reluctant to pay for MCS or First on VX metal without a clear idea of the product I will be getting.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
It would be helpful if AS could communicate what the “interim” VX metal product will be until AS actually starts reconfiguring these birds with new seats. The fact that AS has dialed back the VX product I’m not hugely surprised by, given that they have had a SOC since Jan 11, but I agree that it makes me reluctant to pay for MCS or First on VX metal without a clear idea of the product I will be getting.
While that would have been a better way to manage expectations, we have a week and a half left at this point. It's not gonna happen.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Here is an interesting think exercise: Which airline merger has been beneficial for fliers?

AS management has made a mess of this merger, with all the goodwill VX fliers had at the beginning. I'm just lucky I was able to go home to BOS and enjoy B6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.