Wiki Posts
Search

AS IRROPS crazy making

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A little OT, but people who complain about Delta IT, the apps, and IRROPS ought to fly other carriers more. They'll see things can be a lot worse - as the OT's example (just one observation).

This. I have a serious new appreciation for how good we have it. There's no place like home, there's no place like home. . . . .
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
1) I feel bad for the OP. However it is good for AS they ran the flight...there were *a lot* of cancellations yesterday due to the lower ceilings...I'm lucky I made it thru.

2) I heard the string of anouncements starting around noon for this flight. Started off they wanted all pax to meet at some area 3 outside security. I looked up the flight in flightstats and saw the a/c move departure cities. The AS/VX folks were making lots of last minute changes... I had a SFO-SAN change aircraft leading to an hour plus delay with other issues arising...no flight crew...no fuel...no effective communication.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
Yesterday was a bad weather day with windy conditions at SFO which was the cause of many problems. Flights arriving were being held at their departure cities for an average of 1 hour 49 minutes and think this had a terrible affect with planes caught out of position. My husband was on the 8.30 pm to SAN. The plane they were originally scheduled to fly was substituted with another due to the aircraft being delayed out of LAX to DAL then late from DAL to SFO. However, they ended up with a plane but no crew. Instead of departing at 8.30 p.m. it was 11.47 p.m. before they departed. However, what was disappointing was the lack of information being provided by Alaska.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A little OT, but people who complain about Delta IT, the apps, and IRROPS ought to fly other carriers more. They'll see things can be a lot worse - as the OT's example (just one observation).
This. I'm a lowly no-status peon on DL who only flies it as a last resort. (Nothing personal - just that my paid travels don't line up enough with their route map to even get me to Silver.) Yet when I've had IRROPS there, even no-status me can instantly change flights entirely inside the app. No annoying kick-out to a mobile browser like with some airlines. And no need to call, go to the airport, etc.

UA is adequate...usually. AA is a mess. WN was a mess, but has recently improved their in-app rebooking capability. AS seems to lag the pack, although I haven't been seriously burned yet.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
As a Delta convert, the IT/App side is the single biggest thing I miss. Their IT backends just worked, and you could do so much stuff from within the app. It feels modern and new. Alaska's feels like its stuck in 2010 still.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rune87
Alaska's feels like its stuck in 2010 still.

That's generous. I would say more like 2005.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
True. It is rare that I don't fly DL, but I wanted nonstop service SFO-SNA. It is really surprising to me how significant the differences are between the two companies. This will, without a doubt, cause me to avoid AS more in the future.
Sorry, my response pertained mainly to DL's industry leading IRROPS functionality. However, I do agree that your situation on AS was absurd. and shouldn't have happened -- particularly when you called in to get further information. The Res agents should be given the tools to answer your question accurately.

But then again, I've had to inform AS GA's at SEA that the AS flight is listing the wrong gate on the airport monitors (the GA's were wondering why so many people were asking her about the gate). AS is generally "west coast" friendly, but sometimes appears very amateurish.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
AS is generally "west coast" friendly, but sometimes appears very amateurish.

Agreed. I want to like them. A lot of my flying is on the west coast, and they are the only alternative to UA for many west coast destinations--and I still like them better than UA and won't step foot onto a UA plane unless I have to, but this does give me pause.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:36 pm

Over the past nine years, the vast majority of my AS flights have been on-time, so I have very little IRR OPS experience with them. That said, the few times they've had major disruptions (snow/ice in SEA, the QX meltdown last summer or QX cancellations at small stations like STS), it seem like they get overwhelmed very easily. Probably something they need to invest in a bit more now that they have more flights out of SFO and SFO is one of the most delay prone airports in the country.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by tusphotog

Could you not SDC onto an earlier flight after being automatically rebooked? Or at least list for standby?
it pays to remember in these cases, you can also request a refund, and go buy a walk up ticket on OAL. with the high frequency of flights between certain destinations these days on WN, DL, AS, and UA, sometimes this is the easiest solution and not always cost prohibitive.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
AS is generally "west coast" friendly, but sometimes appears very amateurish.
I'm only 9 months or so into flying AS and this is my thought as well. I really want to root for them - I feel like they behave in some ways how airlines did 10-ish years ago (in a good way) - but man, their IT also feels pretty 10-ish years ago...
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
I was suppose to be on AS(VX) 1952 today and that was cancelled due to WX too. They rebooked me on 1950 for tomorrow (Saturday) and the only reason I found out it was cancelled was because of TripIt.

I quite agree that DL's IRROPS handling is best of all of the US carriers but I was still disappointed that AS/VX made no attempt to contact me.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
That's generous. I would say more like 2005.
A bit of an exaggeration, to say the least. The first iPhone was released in 2007 and the first android phone in 2008. The whole app economy just isn't that old. People just weren't using their Palm Treos like that. The mobile boarding pass standard was only finalized in 2008.

If you want an example of an airline that's way far behind in the tech times, look no further than Virgin America, which didn't have any mobile app at all until 2016. I'm hoping that once the integration work is done, and the VX systems can be jettisoned, that the AS Software team can focus on catching up with stuff like this, as well as fixing the dang upgrade processor.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CalanMan
A bit of an exaggeration, to say the least. The first iPhone was released in 2007 and the first android phone in 2008. The whole app economy just isn't that old. People just weren't using their Palm Treos like that. The mobile boarding pass standard was only finalized in 2008.

If you want an example of an airline that's way far behind in the tech times, look no further than Virgin America, which didn't have any mobile app at all until 2016. I'm hoping that once the integration work is done, and the VX systems can be jettisoned, that the AS Software team can focus on catching up with stuff like this, as well as fixing the dang upgrade processor.

I'm not talking only about the app. I am talking about the complete inability to manage IRROPS without calling in or going to the airport. The website (and the internet was in full force by 2005) does not offer any options. It does not even offer up to date and useful information.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Schedule changes are the biggest IT pain point for me. I've had to call in and talk to an agent for stuff as simple as one segment's arrival and departure times shifting by a few minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.