Wiki Posts
Search

Summer 2018 Schedule Updates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ashill
Indeed. But these before-8:00 flights from SEA to the east coast make connections for the NW (YLW being the important one for me personally) difficult or impossible too, and that seems like a set of connecting markets that AS should care about. A 7:45 flight probably only blows up YLW and YYJ (because of the need to clear Customs and thus a long minimum connect time), but still annoying and puzzling that they don't make connections possible. And the earlier flights (eg the 6:59 AM to BOS) make connections from the crack of dawn flights out of EAT, GEG etc impossible, which seems silly.
Originally Posted by PDXpress
MFR, RDM, EUG... Earliest you can get to SEA is around 7:00am.
AS has a 7:00am departure to ATL that allows for almost no connections. I don't get it either.
There are only so many gates and planes for AS to work with at SEA, as well as at their East Coast destinations. It's pretty clear that the AS network is optimized for connecting for West Coast operations, not for using SEA as a connecting hub to the East Coast. (Witness the fact that exactly zero of SEA's top ten destinations are transcons, and even places like ATL don't make the list- but midcon hubs like ORD/DEN/DFW do).

Given how SEA is bursting at the seams, I'm not really sure SEA is going to work as (in effect) an AS banked hub that has a bunch of eastbound departures all heading off at about the same time to catch inbound traffic from Southern Oregon and Western Canada (which seems to be what's being asked for here). It's a strategy that works better for DL, to be honest, because they have a LOT more connectivity options if people are willing to double connect through a DL hub (SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL), whereas it's "whatever we can offer through SEA" in AS's case.

Here's the other thing... I'd think RDM-DEN-XXX (UA) or YYJ-YVR-XXX (AC) is waaaaaay more popular than connecting going east through SEA...
dayone likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 21, 2018 at 4:02 pm
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Here's the other thing... I'd think RDM-DEN-XXX (UA) or YYJ-YVR-XXX (AC) is waaaaaay more popular than connecting going east through SEA...
You'd think so but connecting through SEA vs DEN adds only about 20 minutes total flight time to BWI, at least as blocked, and avoids 2 1/2 in a UAX CRJ of one form or another.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
UA has 1 daily RDM-DEN (50 seats) and AS has 5 daily RDM-SEA (380 seats). But I guess you can't argue with geography.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
UA has 1 daily RDM-DEN (50 seats) and AS has 5 daily RDM-SEA (380 seats). But I guess you can't argue with geography.
Yeah, but how many of them are using SEA to go eastbound as opposed to O/D or shorter hops?

Shoot, AS can't even make RDM-LAX work...
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
MFR, RDM, EUG... Earliest you can get to SEA is around 7:00am.
AS has a 7:00am departure to ATL that allows for almost no connections. I don't get it either.
You are so correct - it used to be that almost all flights out of SEA or PDX allowed for early morning connections from the myriad PNW cities that had to get to one of those gateways - now many of them simply can't. I don't want to do red-eyes, and I don't want the expense of an overnight hotel before that 7am flight out of SEA to wherever.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Looks like the E175 SAN - MEX flight is going away after May 19th. Any announcements on this? I'd expect the summer season to be busier.
socalgecko likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:54 pm

When will late Sept schedules firm?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
This is more of a problem relating to their limited flight options to the East.
Well, it’s both limited flights to the east and limited flights to the QX destinations. YLW and EAT are each 2x or 3x daily to SEA; there are more SEA-NYC and SEA-WAS, and as many SEA-BOS flights. So the real issue is that AS doesn’t bank the hub in SEA. If you want connections to work with infrequent flights, you more or less have to bank. But as you and others note, both gate issues and the obvious desire to serve the local O&D traffic first take priority. But I suspect there’s not a ton of SEA-YLW O&D and nearly zero SEA-EAT O&D. (At EAT, the agents look and me funny when my final destination is SEA, usually on a stopover mandated by the crummy connecting schedules.)

One small tweak in times takes out a whole days worth of reasonable connections to many destinations.
This drives me crazy. I had a trip earlier this year where YLW-SEA-DCA was five minutes under the MCT, forcing me into an overnight layover.

(Witness the fact that exactly zero of SEA's top ten destinations are transcons, and even places like ATL don't make the list- but midcon hubs like ORD/DEN/DFW do).
My refrain: be careful about those statistics, as they represent first-stop traffic, not O&D traffic. So naturally connecting central hubs have far more first-stop traffic than transcons with much less onward connecting traffic. And my wild guess is that limited ATL traffic reflects limited O&D demand between SEA and the southeast as a region with specific exceptions like CHS (Boeing).

Given how SEA is bursting at the seams, I'm not really sure SEA is going to work as (in effect) an AS banked hub that has a bunch of eastbound departures all heading off at about the same time to catch inbound traffic from Southern Oregon and Western Canada (which seems to be what's being asked for here). It's a strategy that works better for DL, to be honest, because they have a LOT more connectivity options if people are willing to double connect through a DL hub (SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL), whereas it's "whatever we can offer through SEA" in AS's case.
Yes, I agree that AS’s apparent priorities make sense. But it is annoying for those of us in cities with little or no air service other than QX to SEA. I’m well aware that EAT and YLW aren’t the center of the aviation universe!

Last edited by ashill; Mar 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by motoridersd
Looks like the E175 SAN - MEX flight is going away after May 19th. Any announcements on this? I'd expect the summer season to be busier.
Several weeks ago. SAN/SFO-MEX are both gone. You can take a Mexican carrier from TIJ or drive up to LAX.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:21 am

Several weeks ago. SAN/SFO-MEX are both gone. You can take a Mexican carrier from TIJ or drive up to LAX.
Do you have a link to an official announcement? Are they gone for good or for the season?

I know flights from TIJ are aplenty and CBX is super easy to use. For work I usually fly with US carriers, and this AS direct flight had a really nice schedule. I took it twice and liked it way better than most of the flight options in and out of TIJ. The flights I took weren't too full, even though the price was pretty good for a RT after considering the added expenses of extra services with the low cost Mexican carriers, a CBX RT and the longer Uber/Lyft ride to it vs SAN. LAX is even more inconvenient, and at that point even UA can be competitive from SAN with a layover in LAX or IAH.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Do you have a link to an official announcement? Are they gone for good or for the season?
Official announcements for service suspensions or cancellations are very rare. The closest it typically gets are third parties who carefully (with scripts) scrutinize the published schedules every week and look for changes.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...routes-in-s18/

Gone for good so you will have to make other plans.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:29 am

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...routes-in-s18/

Gone for good so you will have to make other plans.
Thank you! This is what I was looking for.

Shame, they made such a big deal out of it, but they're not the first to try and fail. Volaris had a twice a week SAN - MEX flight that didn't last long.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Shoot, AS can't even make RDM-LAX work...
Until Jan 1, AS flyers could earn on the existing AA flight on that route. UA starts nonstop service 4/9...
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS
The mid day SEA-RDM-SEA flight will be a 737 this summer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.