Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Major downgrade to VX entertainment system

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major downgrade to VX entertainment system

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaSteve
I flew SFO-LAS on Monday and then returned today. No "live" TV, no music and no games. Other than a 30 minute ground hold in Vegas because of low ceilings and ugly weather at SFO, it was a pretty good flight, although the head flight attendant announced about 20 minutes into the flight that we were beginning our descent into SFO. LOL. Uh, not quite. We hadn't even crossed the Sierra Nevada yet. So that kind of made the flight seem a lot longer than the 1+ hour hop it usually is.
I also flew from SFO - LAS on 3/12. We were on a different plane because mine had games. I played Asteroids. The Dish and Live TV buttons were there, but can't remember if I pressed it. Think it didn't work, since I remember thinking no more live SF Giants games on CSNBA.

Came back on 3/16 and the Dish selection was oddly missing from IFE. Dunno about games either because I took a nap.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by bkojote
....all they've managed to do is lose their AA route network, bleed money in California, get evicted from their JFK terminal, lose a ton of partner airlines, pay $10mil/yr for a (much more valuable) brand they don't use, eliminate their product differentiation, and have the bottom fall out of their formerly lucrative transcon PRASM...
That is a pretty cynical capsule recap of post-merger activity... but it hurts 'cos it's true.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The only thing saving them at SFO these days is UA. Despite valiant attempts at attempting to improve their image, UA keeps shooting themselves in the head.
Remember that VX did not swing to consistent profitability until Smisek and the UA-CO merger sent a bunch of Bay Area HVFs shopping for alternatives. The AS business plan for California must still be predicated to some degree on UA continuing to stink up SFO. God help AS if United ever gets its act together... unlikely as that prospect is.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BearX220
Remember that VX did not swing to consistent profitability until Smisek and the UA-CO merger sent a bunch of Bay Area HVFs shopping for alternatives. The AS business plan for California must still be predicated to some degree on UA continuing to stink up SFO. God help AS if United ever gets its act together... unlikely as that prospect is.
Yes, I remember it well. Couldn't take a flight without the UA refugees telling anybody on board that would listen how horrible UA was.

Now, I find many people taking UA just because the schedule is better, they want miles for a * Alliance J/F award, or they don't want to watch the slow and steady decline in the VX product while not at all looking forward to the the AS one. AS has been working over time to make themsleves the utterly forgettable carrier at SFO.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:49 am

We are going to be flying home from Hawaii in June, with a layover in SFO, and booked our tickets with AS (but it shows as Airbus fleet so assuming this is the old VX planes since the seating chart matches that of the A319 and 320). If I am understanding correctly, the TV screens in the back of the headrests will still be physically there, but they will not be turned on or working so we will need to have our own devices to entertain us on the flight correct?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
If I am understanding correctly, the TV screens in the back of the headrests will still be physically there, but they will not be turned on or working so we will need to have our own devices to entertain us on the flight correct?
I don't think anyone here knows exactly what the long range plan is with those seatback screens. They've disabled the Direct TV feed which covered news station and some networks from New York City and L.A. There's still other stored entertainment options there. I suspect the grand plan in the long run is to have all of us use the wi-fi to access stored content, similar to what is done on Alaska aircraft, but that conversion has not been made yet and could be months out and involve new hardware on the flight to provide that content. Hopefully we'll all have a better idea before your June flight rolls around.
Jenn0625 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
I don't think anyone here knows exactly what the long range plan is with those seatback screens. They've disabled the Direct TV feed which covered news station and some networks from New York City and L.A. There's still other stored entertainment options there. I suspect the grand plan in the long run is to have all of us use the wi-fi to access stored content, similar to what is done on Alaska aircraft, but that conversion has not been made yet and could be months out and involve new hardware on the flight to provide that content. Hopefully we'll all have a better idea before your June flight rolls around.
VX flight crew I spoke with in January sounded pretty confident that AS was just going to switch them off completely on April 25, but not sure how reliable that info is. They were a bit more certain that starting 4/25 they'd no longer play the VX safety video and would be doing PA speeches instead.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tom911
I suspect the grand plan in the long run is to have all of us use the wi-fi to access stored content, similar to what is done on Alaska aircraft, but that conversion has not been made yet and could be months out and involve new hardware on the flight to provide that content..
The recent Insight Community survey suggested that streaming-to-device of a limited number of live channels (using upgraded satellite Wi-Fi) was under consideration. Clearly, that would be in the mid- to long term.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
And a lot will depend, I imagine, on the aircraft reconfiguration schedule. Might take a year or longer to get Alaska seating in those 67 Virgin aircraft.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by socalgecko
VX flight crew I spoke with in January sounded pretty confident that AS was just going to switch them off completely on April 25, but not sure how reliable that info is. They were a bit more certain that starting 4/25 they'd no longer play the VX safety video and would be doing PA speeches instead.
Ugh, I hope that isn't true. I'm flying VX SFO-OGG r/t a couple days after this and it would really suck not to have seatback IFE any more.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
They might just not want to have a VX safety video playing an an AS plane. And maybe they don't feel the need to shoot a new AS safety vide. Not sure why'd they shut off them off completely, unless there is some sort of expensive licensing issue with them playing movies/tv shows on a seat back screen vs streaming to a device. I'd think re-branding the software would be fairly easy and cheap.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'll be happy to have this video retired.
jinglish and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by bkojote
I'd wager they don't have the slightest clue what they're doing, and considering all they've managed to do is lose their AA route network, bleed money in California, get evicted from their JFK terminal, lose a ton of partner airlines, pay $10mil/yr for a (much more valuable) brand they don't use, eliminate their product differentiation, and have the bottom fall out of their formerly lucrative transcon PRASM, call it more than a hunch.

But hey, let's check those numbers down the road once the screens and onboard ordering get yanked out in exchange for those fantastic Microsoft players.
I think AS is considering changes to the entertainment system fleet wide. They recently sent out a survey asking questions about live TV, various networks and streaming video.
socalgecko likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'll be happy to have this video retired.
The video is just a bit obnoxious.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I would love to see a hybrid scenario where you watch entertainment on your own device but also have the ability to order food and drinks on demand through your device as well.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
FluxTZ, I'm told that's what Alaska is working on. Alaska already has pre-ordering of food for those in Y and rolling it out in F for everyone.

Rumors also going around that the Alaska tablet/dige is making its way onto VX aircraft. This is a decent alternative, especially since you can also stream the GoGo Vision library on to it. I'm one of those people who like to watch a tv while doing work or whatnot, leaving my device free for texting/browsing, etc.
CalanMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.