Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Major downgrade to VX entertainment system

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum

Flew from SFO-DCA today on a new VX A321 which the pilot said was only two months old.

Seats were super comfortable and it was great to have an electrical and USB plug so easily accessible by the tray table. It was the Virgin America experience we've grown to love with one major exception -- the Red Entertainment System now only offers movies and a handful of recorded TV shows (plus the ability to order food and drinks). The live TV is gone, the music is gone and the games are gone.

This was hugely disappointing, particularly since this was a cross-country route and the planes are brand spanking new. Obviously, Alaska ordered this downgrade. But why???
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Costs probably.

Previous thread in VX sub-forum:

Is the "live" Dish Network news feed gone?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jmandc
Flew from SFO-DCA today on a new VX A321 which the pilot said was only two months old.

Seats were super comfortable and it was great to have an electrical and USB plug so easily accessible by the tray table. It was the Virgin America experience we've grown to love with one major exception -- the Red Entertainment System now only offers movies and a handful of recorded TV shows (plus the ability to order food and drinks). The live TV is gone, the music is gone and the games are gone.

This was hugely disappointing, particularly since this was a cross-country route and the planes are brand spanking new. Obviously, Alaska ordered this downgrade. But why???
Because VX is dead. AS will use their own content license.
flytoeat likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:48 am

Does the current IFE on VX more or less match the free content AS offers via GoGo Inflight, except offered via seatback monitor?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Does the current IFE on VX more or less match the free content AS offers via GoGo Inflight, except offered via seatback monitor?
IIRC, yes. Although it did feel a bit lighter.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Originally Posted by jmandc

On VX/AS 1350 today, SFO-BOS. No live TV, games or music as well.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
Because VX is dead. AS will use their own content license.
As well as spending the next 18 months or so ripping out seatback IFE from pmVX planes.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:15 pm

They've had music as of last month, so if music and games are now gone that's really sad.

VX's music playlists were always top notch. Sigh, Alaska just doesn't get it.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by bkojote
Sigh, Alaska just doesn't get it.
I'd wager Alaska gets it just fine. VX was in the business of a Silicon Valley startup: Building a company that someone, likely a larger and more established company, would want to acquire for more capital than what initially went into it. AS is in the business of a 20th-century industrial: Making a product that you can sell to customers for a profit, and continue doing so through the foreseeable future. VX performed its task well, put itself up for sale, and succeeded. AS has succeeded in the profit game for the last couple of decades, and I suspect will continue to perform its task for the foreseeable future.

The tasks are different, so the players will behave differently. It doesn't mean that anybody doesn't understand that people like streaming music or expensive-to-carry-around-and-maintain seatback screens.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
I flew SFO-LAS on Monday and then returned today. No "live" TV, no music and no games. Other than a 30 minute ground hold in Vegas because of low ceilings and ugly weather at SFO, it was a pretty good flight, although the head flight attendant announced about 20 minutes into the flight that we were beginning our descent into SFO. LOL. Uh, not quite. We hadn't even crossed the Sierra Nevada yet. So that kind of made the flight seem a lot longer than the 1+ hour hop it usually is.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by CalanMan
I'd wager Alaska gets it just fine. VX was in the business of a Silicon Valley startup: Building a company that someone, likely a larger and more established company, would want to acquire for more capital than what initially went into it. AS is in the business of a 20th-century industrial: Making a product that you can sell to customers for a profit, and continue doing so through the foreseeable future. VX performed its task well, put itself up for sale, and succeeded. AS has succeeded in the profit game for the last couple of decades, and I suspect will continue to perform its task for the foreseeable future.

The tasks are different, so the players will behave differently. It doesn't mean that anybody doesn't understand that people like streaming music or expensive-to-carry-around-and-maintain seatback screens.
I'd wager they don't have the slightest clue what they're doing, and considering all they've managed to do is lose their AA route network, bleed money in California, get evicted from their JFK terminal, lose a ton of partner airlines, pay $10mil/yr for a (much more valuable) brand they don't use, eliminate their product differentiation, and have the bottom fall out of their formerly lucrative transcon PRASM, call it more than a hunch.

But hey, let's check those numbers down the road once the screens and onboard ordering get yanked out in exchange for those fantastic Microsoft players.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
lose a ton of partner airlines
Uh, who other than AA? Not that I mean to understate the impact that that partnership drawdown, but other than that... the DL divorce might have happened a little sooner than otherwise?
They've had music as of last month, so if music and games are now gone that's really sad.

VX's music playlists were always top notch. Sigh, Alaska just doesn't get it.
I poked around VX's music selection on my first flight with them. The selection was... okay? They had only two tracks from the most recent Andrew Bird album, and they'd actually swapped the titles/files.

I'm the kind of tech-oriented millennial who was in VX's target market, and I have no idea of why I'm supposed to care so much about IFE for domestic flights. I have much of my music library synced to my phone, I can download much of Netflix's content to my iPad, and there's nothing preventing me from bringing a book or my Kindle onboard.
be_rettSEA, pbelmore and DrAlex like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jinglish
Uh, who other than AA?
Just in the last few months, DL/AM/AF/KL to name a few.

As for the entertainment system, it sounds you like flew VX under AS ownership. The Red system has been in decline since the day AS bought VX. Premium music, TV shows, indie movies, etc have been disappearing bit by bit for nearly two years now.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Just in the last few months, DL/AM/AF/KL to name a few.

As for the entertainment system, it sounds you like flew VX under AS ownership. The Red system has been in decline since the day AS bought VX. Premium music, TV shows, indie movies, etc had been disappearing bit by bit for nearly two years now.
Oops, somehow forgot about the rest of the SkyTeam partners (except KE). But those are almost definitely a consequence of the DL breakup, which, again, was going to happen sooner or later regardless of the VX acquisition.

And that flight was in October '16, so before the VX deal had even been approved.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I'd wager they don't have the slightest clue what they're doing, and considering all they've managed to do is lose their AA route network, bleed money in California, get evicted from their JFK terminal, lose a ton of partner airlines, pay $10mil/yr for a (much more valuable) brand they don't use, eliminate their product differentiation, and have the bottom fall out of their formerly lucrative transcon PRASM, call it more than a hunch.

But hey, let's check those numbers down the road once the screens and onboard ordering get yanked out in exchange for those fantastic Microsoft players.
Agree 100%. The only thing saving them at SFO these days is UA. Despite valiant attempts at attempting to improve their image, UA keeps shooting themselves in the head. They are very poor shots and seem to survive--unlike some of the pets they transport. Took UA back from ATL to SFO last month and the passive aggressive gate agent went above and beyond to be sure he did not resolve a very simple issue--even with a UA customer service agent on the phone willing to talk him through the simple steps to resolve it. The hard product was actually a bit better than AS but generally the AS gate agents and flight attendants don't take out their frustrations with the company on their passengers on a regular basis like UA.
jjmadison likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.