Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Elite earning miles on Hainan's Tianjin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

So i know the answer to this, that alaska does not credit the miles. But i was wondering why. Tianjin Airlines is owned by Hainan and they use a unified frequent flyer program. Why does Alaska only credit miles from flights on Hainan and not Tianjin?

Thoughts?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Probably not negotiated because AS didn't see much need for it. How many Mileage Plan members do you think are actually flying on GS? There are some similar annoying exclusions--no earnings on Cathay Dragon or BA CityFlyer come to mind--but this only matters for a very small percentage of AS customers.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rabble
So i know the answer to this, that alaska does not credit the miles. But i was wondering why. Tianjin Airlines is owned by Hainan and they use a unified frequent flyer program. Why does Alaska only credit miles from flights on Hainan and not Tianjin?

Thoughts?
Each partnership is individually negotiated. Same reason you cant use Dragon air, Jetstar, Thomas Cook etc that are all related to another AS partner. Hainan ownes 7 airlines, only the main one is the partner. Notice how none of these carriers have US mainland flights? Maybe as they expand more in the US things may change. I think Tianjin starts LAX service sometime this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.