Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Can't pay for a flt with my CC if using my wife's acct??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

Trying to book flts using my wife's acct because she has the Companion Fare cert but it won't let me pay with MY credit card. Is this true? Can I override by calling in? Crazy.

My card has better travel benefits than hers.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by philemer
Trying to book flts using my wife's acct because she has the Companion Fare cert but it won't let me pay with MY credit card. Is this true? Can I override by calling in? Crazy.

My card has better travel benefits than hers.
Just copy and paste the companion cert and then book from your account.. As long as your wife is one of the travelers, anyone can pay for the flights. The companion cert holder only has to either be one of the travelers or the one paying, but not both.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
In addition to Finkface's suggestion, I've been able to use my credit card in my wife's account. Last time we did it was in December for an award booking.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Finkface
Just copy and paste the companion cert and then book from your account.. As long as your wife is one of the travelers, anyone can pay for the flights. The companion cert holder only has to either be one of the travelers or the one paying, but not both.
Ya, got that. I think the problem lies in the fact that I was trying to use a "saved" card. To override that issue I added a "new" card # (actually the same card that was saved, my CSR) and then it let me complete the purchase. AS needs to get that "bug" out of the system. Geesh. Now I'm going to just delete all the saved cards.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by rustykettel
In addition to Finkface's suggestion, I've been able to use my credit card in my wife's account. Last time we did it was in December for an award booking.
When the companion certificate holder is not traveling, I've been able to do this for any credit card holder with the same last name, but not for a credit card holder with a different last name. (My spouse and I do not share a last name, but we've purchased tickets for ourselves using her mother's companion certificate, of course with permission -- to purchase a ticket to bring the grandkid for a visit.)

So we could use Jill Doe's credit card to pay for a ticket using Jane Doe's companion certificate (Jill Doe and John Smith traveling); we could not use John Smith's credit card to purchase the same ticket.

It did not appear to matter whether the credit card used for the purchase was the credit card associated with the companion certificate, whether or not the companion certificate holder is traveling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.