Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blue Mood Lighting on Nighttime Flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Is this one of the new moves to keep the worst parts of VX. I don't remember the BSI being so damn annoying.
lalala likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by D582
The Boeing 737 Sky Interior has 8 standard scenes built-in (plus OFF):
[...]
- Night / Sleep - Blue Overhead, Sidewall OFF, Dim
I have never found this setting to be distracting, annoying or an impediment to sleep.
thegingninj likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
Will see about DOT complaint if lights are still on during take off and landing.
This is assuredly not what the DOT complaint process is intended to address

If you are concerned about safety due to these lights, your complaint/comment should be to the FAA. If you are bothered by them, and not concerned about safety, your complaint should be escalated with AS.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Seems like a very reasoned, well-articulated concern. But have you sent anything to Alaska?
Yep, I submit a note to Alaska listens after every flight where I attempted to sleep.

The purpose of posting on FT was more to gauge if others have been having the same issue, and by the sounds of it, this seems like a fairly common problem.

Maybe the next step is to try emailing Brad.
lalala likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Yep, I submit a note to Alaska listens after every flight where I attempted to sleep.

The purpose of posting on FT was more to gauge if others have been having the same issue, and by the sounds of it, this seems like a fairly common problem.

Maybe the next step is to try emailing Brad.
More of us need to email Brad about this. I am somewhat excited when I end up on a plane that doesn't have this "enhancement" even if I'm sitting in coach.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
Agree eye masks are a great equalizer ^
Eye masks are a must for me on red eye flights. Even if the cabin lighting is dark enough for you, there's always a chance of having a neighbor with their reading light on and/or glare from a laptop screen or iPad
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:57 pm

Bring a damn eye mask, people, or better yet have Alaska provide them like JetBlue does.

I swear, as a former VX captive, Alaska fliers are some of the most miserable fliers there are and complain about any additional perk that may make flying nicer. This is why the Virgin America experience is getting watered down and we're losing great things like seatback ordering, tv screens, and anything resembling a pleasant flying experience. Personally I've never had a problem and find the blue light calming and way less obtrusive than having a full on cabin white nightlight. To say the blue light inhibited melatonin being the reason you can't sleep (over the extraordinarily uncomfortable seats) because that one bad study created 'night shift' mode is bull.

Take your business to Blah airlines, please.
thegingninj likes this.

Last edited by bkojote; Mar 12, 2018 at 1:04 pm
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS150 tonight ANC-LAX started the first 30-45 minutes with dim blue mood lighting, then switched to dark. 739ER.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
On a SEA-ANC the blue mood lighting was on the whole flight 10pm-12:30am. I don't know if it woke me up but almost everyone took a nap after takeoff via the 75+ temperature in PC.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by bkojote
Bring a damn eye mask, people, or better yet have Alaska provide them like JetBlue does.

I swear, as a former VX captive, Alaska fliers are some of the most miserable fliers there are and complain about any additional perk that may make flying nicer. This is why the Virgin America experience is getting watered down and we're losing great things like seatback ordering, tv screens, and anything resembling a pleasant flying experience. Personally I've never had a problem and find the blue light calming and way less obtrusive than having a full on cabin white nightlight. To say the blue light inhibited melatonin being the reason you can't sleep (over the extraordinarily uncomfortable seats) because that one bad study created 'night shift' mode is bull.

Take your business to Blah airlines, please.
Seriously? on a flight that leaves at 7:15PM EDT?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS97 no issues with lighting. It seems to be on the lowest setting and quite dark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.