Wiki Posts
Search

Throw Away Ticketing on Awards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Throw Away Ticketing on Awards

What happens if you throw away the last segment in a Alaska partner award. What happens?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Never had a reason to so not sure. Awards aren't priced like revenue tickets so not really an incentive to do so.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I don’t think anything will happen, as long as it is the last leg.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Yes, it is the last leg. Since it’s not a revenue ticket I wonder if it would make a difference?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Yes, it is the last leg. Since it’s not a revenue ticket I wonder if it would make a difference?
Exactly what "difference" are you trying to determine?

The consensus is that there would be no impact.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checked bag?
Immigration issues?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:14 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I agree with others. It’s not clear why you would book but not fly the last segment. It’s either the same price or cheaper to just not book it (or cancel the last segment and keep the rest).

But it if you insist, probably nothing will happen. Make sure you don’t check any bags because they will go to the original destination
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
There are reasons, but with pretty much every award now available as one way that includes a stopover, they would probably be quite limited. (Are there any partners remaining that require RT travel - or that OW prices as RT if you just want OW?)

AS awards generally permit either an open jaw OR a stopover. I will provide a sort of real life example of a reason to throw away a final segment. This is when AS had one flight a day SFO/LAX quite some time ago, and OW partner awards weren't a thing.

Partner award SFO (AS) LAX (YY) AAA - stopover (YY) BBB - final destination (YY) LAX (AS) SFO. (YY is generic airline and AAA BBB are generic airports).

Even if one didn't want the final LAX/SFO segment on AS, it was considered an open jaw by not returning to SFO and even though the partner award was a full RT (with a stopover). With AS' one flight a day, the return required a 14 hour or so connection @ LAX on the return. Or, one could just purchase a LAX/SFO and get home 10+ hours earlier.

So, if you wanted the outbound SFO/LAX (because the timing was good), you had to ticket the return LAX/SFO, even if you didn't care to have it, and even though AS could have sold the seat to someone else.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hate to answer OP's question without full facts. Is he worried about bags or what else? The answer you get here is limited by the facts you provide.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
What happens if you throw away the last segment in a Alaska partner award. What happens?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Are you changing travel plans for that CX award again?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

No checked bags, obviously. I’m just wondering if there are any rules prohibiting throwaway ticketing on the last segment of awards. That’s it.
There are lots of reasons people would get off early on different awards. I will give one example, though this isn’t the reason I’m asking. Cathay 888 from HKG-YVR-JFK is sometimes available HKG-JFK but not booked as HKG-YVR, and if I wanted to get off in Vancouver, as an example.

Last edited by NWplatinum; Mar 10, 2018 at 5:35 pm
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The way AS prices it's own award tickets....there are quite a few times you may want to book an award flight and drop the last segment if you're looking at using fewer miles. For example, I recently wanted to fly DEN-SEA-PDX (one-way) and it priced out at 7.5K miles but if I added a PDX-BOI segment after a "stopover" in PDX a few months later, my trip priced out to 5K. It would save you 2.5K miles just to drop the last segment although in my case, I wanted to go to BOI so I'm not going to drop it and to be honest, even if I didn't want to fly the last segment, I'd probably find a reason to go just because I can't stand to let a plane ticket go to waste, but I'm just saying that there are times when it makes sense to drop the last segment.
SFOPeter likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The way AS prices it's own award tickets....there are quite a few times you may want to book an award flight and drop the last segment if you're looking at using fewer miles. For example, I recently wanted to fly DEN-SEA-PDX (one-way) and it priced out at 7.5K miles but if I added a PDX-BOI segment after a "stopover" in PDX a few months later, my trip priced out to 5K. It would save you 2.5K miles just to drop the last segment although in my case, I wanted to go to BOI so I'm not going to drop it and to be honest, even if I didn't want to fly the last segment, I'd probably find a reason to go just because I can't stand to let a plane ticket go to waste, but I'm just saying that there are times when it makes sense to drop the last segment.
thank you. Now the question is, would it be legal to NOT take that last segment or would MileagePlan penalize you?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

thank you. Now the question is, would it be legal to NOT take that last segment or would MileagePlan penalize you?
Not sure whether or not it breaks any rules, but I highly doubt they would penalize you unless you made a habit of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.