Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Beside Hawaii and Mexico, where can you easily go from the left coast for a vacation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beside Hawaii and Mexico, where can you easily go from the left coast for a vacation?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Sarasota, FL...nice family friendly beaches, some interesting museums and things to see if you don't want to sit on the beach the whole time, can fly SFO-MCO or SJC-SAN-MCO and then a 2 hour drive to Sarasota. Or fly SJC-SEA-TPA and it's a 45 minute drive. Lots of nice VRBO condos on the outer islands available at that time of year for under $100/night.

Sarasota is a quiet, but friendly town, in the heat of summer.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: WN, UA, AA
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
We go to HI annually, seen enough of it. To be honest, I rather spend time at a Mexican resort than Hawaii, especially with kids, it's very convenient.

We actually have 10 days to juggle with. 5-7 days trip allows some time at home to recover before going back to work. I've never been to any of the places that you guys mentioned. We take the kids to Cabo, Cancun and HI all the time bcause that's what we're familiar with and know places that are suitable for the little ones.

Ideally, I'd like to get out of the US. We look at the Bahama and Jamaica but flights are just too long.
What are you favorite places to stay in Cabo and Cancun? Just curious but also may help with suggestions. And what are not so favorite if any?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:57 am

Ironic this would appear on the ALASKA forum. But indeed the far north is probably not renowned for warm beaches. Obvious within reach locations are Gulf Coast from Texas to Florida. There are also lakes with warm climates within the Continental US depending on season. I guess that is is incompatible with getting out of the US.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
I thought the same until this happened...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-emba...mexican-ferry/
Yeah, but I suspect the odds of being a crime victim are higher on the US "left coast" than in a tourist area in Cozumel

Last edited by mvoight; Mar 9, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DrAlex
With a 4 and 6 year old, I'd take a <60 minute flight to SAN and hit SD Zoo, SD Wild Animal Park, Legoland, Balboa Park, and the New Children's Museum. Add in some beach time and stay somewhere with a nice pool.
This. Amusing that you got rejected because it's *too easy* to get to. If you're out west to begin with, want a beach and a fun place for kids, I can't think of a better place than Coronado.

That said, when the kids were that little, we didn't travel a ton in July. We usually went in May or September, times when families with older kids don't travel as much. If you definitely want to travel in July, and want to stay on AS, I'd use that as an opportunity to go to the Northwest or even to Alaska. Oregon and Washington will both be glorious and full of fun outdoors things for kids. I haven't visited Alaska myself yet, but flying this airline definitely makes me want to visit sometime in the next couple years.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Grand Cayman (GCM), a lovely and safe island in the Caribbean that was unaffected by last year's hurricanes.

Back when I lived near San Luis Obispo, I could get there in one day (SBP-LAX-MIA-GCM).

I've been there a number of times and shall return.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
I vote for Homer or Seward, Alaska. Not tropical, but generally has most of the other things you're looking for. Can take the train from Anchorage to Seward -- tons to do in Seward for kids.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
Grand Cayman (GCM), a lovely and safe island in the Caribbean that was unaffected by last year's hurricanes.

Back when I lived near San Luis Obispo, I could get there in one day (SBP-LAX-MIA-GCM).

I've been there a number of times and shall return.
A lot of islands were unaffected by the hurricanes last year.

GCM doesn't have much flight options timed for a connection from the west coast. There's also the currency parity to think about.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
A lot of islands were unaffected by the hurricanes last year.

GCM doesn't have much flight options timed for a connection from the west coast. There's also the currency parity to think about.
Here are some AA connecting flights between San Jose and Grand Cayman:

SJC 6:35 am - 8:03 am LAX - Equip: E175
LAX 9:40 am - 5:52pm MIA - Equip: B777-200
MIA 7:30 pm - 8:01 pm GCM - Equip: A319

GCM 12:30 pm - 4:20 pm CLT - Equip: A320
CLT 6:25 pm - 8:53 pm SJC - Equip: A320

American offers other same day connecting service between the west coast and Grand Cayman as well and also flies DFW-GCM nonstop as does Cayman Airways on a seasonal basis.

As for the currency, although Grand Cayman does have its own money, U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere on the island:

Cayman Islands Official Tourism Website | Welcome to the Cayman Islands
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When are you planning to go?
We've been traveling from SoCal with kids since they were born - there are plenty of destinations perfectly convenient for travel with kids. AZ, TX, NM, CA best for fall travel. Summer is great for pacific northwest and canada. MAmmoth and Tahoe and convenient year round. Spring is the trickiest due to spring break insanity - hawaii may be best for that season. And then of course there are more distant locations - bali in summer, thailand/malaysia in winter/spring, europe in late spring or early fall etc etc...
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Chicago would be an option, not a super long flight, the beaches on the lake are very nice for city beaches, or you could go further out of town for more wilderness type beaches. Loads to do with kids, and the city runs a lot of movies/concerts/etc in the parks over the summer.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
You might get some more good ideas by browsing a few blogs such as:
Away is Home.
13 Female Miles, Points, and Travel Writers to Add to Your Feed - Mommy Points
https://mommypoppins.com/kids/kid-fr...sorts-vacation

Sounds like you already have a handle on the actual traveling with kids, it is just getting ideas for new things to do or areas to visit. So, check some of those links out to see if you get inspired.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Watch out for the Zika south of the border and FL.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
I would highly recommend the ABC Antilles: Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. Each island is unique and between them all have something for everyone. My favorite was Bonaire for the diving and due to the local peeps, but Aruba and Curacao were both great as well.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I would highly recommend the ABC Antilles: Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. Each island is unique and between them all have something for everyone. My favorite was Bonaire for the diving and due to the local peeps, but Aruba and Curacao were both great as well.
The ABCs are great, but a long flight from the west coast. 10-12 hours with a layover is not something I'd want to do with kids

Originally Posted by NoTravelIsFree
It is July - why not save the tropics for when it is colder and check out some place like Vancouver Island (it is safe and close). You may not want to swim in the ocean without a wetsuit but the lush vegetation and coastal scenery is breathtaking. Head up to Tofino and take the kids to the hot springs and whale watching, teach them about totem poles, spirit bears and starfish. Go shelling on long beach or for a hike in the rainforest. Have afternoon tea at the Empress....hmmmm, I'm convincing myself that it is time to revisit the west coast. I understand that beach vacations are easy with kids but getting them out exploring the world at a young age is awesome too. We are just about to hit my 8 year old's 5th continent in a few weeks and quite frankly, I think she does long hauls better than I do.
Vancouver (and the Island) is a great place to visit. I'm biased because I get up there a couple of times a year, but in the summer especially it's gorgeous.
NoTravelIsFree likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.