Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy Names Alaska #1 Airline In America For Second Consecutive Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy Names Alaska #1 Airline In America For Second Consecutive Year

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post The Points Guy Names Alaska #1 Airline In America For Second Consecutive Year

NEW YORK, March 6, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- The Points Guy (TPG) announced this morning that Alaska Airlines has been named the number one airline in America for the second year in a row in its annual Best Airlines Report. The 2018 report was assembled by TPG's team of aviation experts and ranks airlines in the United States, from best to worst, using a strategic methodology based on specific criteria and data, evaluating on-time arrival rates, passenger complaints, cabin comfort, baggage issues, and much more. Southwest Airlines followed Alaska Airlines, with Delta, United, and Frontier rounding out the top five ranking. By contrast, American Airlines, Spirit, JetBlue, and Hawaiian Airlines were the lowest ranked airlines in the last twelve months.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300608828.html
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-...-straight-year

Yes AS does a solid job overall.

Not sure how TPG gets a press release, nor if it really has any weight. My own 2c.
kevincrumbs likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Not sure how TPG gets a press release, nor if it really has any weight. My own 2c.
Agreed.The bias from credit card referral income is huge. AAG as a portal for premium award travel redemptions makes it a favorite for most of the bloggers.
notquiteaff and SFOPeter like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVP
Southwest in number 2--wow California is getting spoiled with some great airlines!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Something tells me the VX fans won’t agree with this!

It goes to show you, though, that while Alaska isn’t always the best in its hard product offering, doing the intangibles well does go a long way for most flyers.
ashill likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chugach
Something tells me the VX fans won’t agree with this!

It goes to show you, though, that while Alaska isn’t always the best in its hard product offering, doing the intangibles well does go a long way for most flyers.
VX not on the list, it was merged into AS for the purposes of the list. So the AS is the combined VX/AS data.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by QXflyer
Southwest in number 2--wow California is getting spoiled with some great airlines!
#2 due to the companion pass for merely signing up for the card. That brought in a lot of cc pimping money thus paid for the rankings.

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Agreed.The bias from credit card referral income is huge. AAG as a portal for premium award travel redemptions makes it a favorite for most of the bloggers.
All the rats jumped the sinking ships. Soon just like the others AS program will be turned to crap due to all the vultures. Burn those points while we can.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
#2 due to the companion pass for merely signing up for the card. That brought in a lot of cc pimping money thus paid for the rankings.
The article I read said they were #2 based mainly on their no fees. No change fees, no baggage fees.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Baze
The article I read said they were #2 based mainly on their no fees. No change fees, no baggage fees.
We all know the real reason.
jinglish, notquiteaff and hi55us like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:45 am

If you follow PointsGuy on instagram etc, he NEVER flies Alaska/Virgin or Southwest (he mostly always flies AA and JetBlue mint domestically), so I'm not sure why he doesn't align his travels with this ranking.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
If you follow PointsGuy on instagram etc, he NEVER flies Alaska/Virgin or Southwest (he mostly always flies AA and JetBlue mint domestically), so I'm not sure why he doesn't align his travels with this ranking.
Does he gain value from people clicking on his links? That's probably why. If he flew the transcon routes on a regular basis, he would be .....ing like the rest of us about the seat comfort and the monotony of the food choices up in F. I don't think he flies Coach.
ptownca likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by CDKing
We all know the real reason.
I dunno. We don't fly WN in our household, and that might be why TPG picks them, but I have to admit Southwest's policies have me looking at them more and more! The lack of change fees, included checked bags, and no "basic economy" fares are all reasons to like Southwest. And considering WN refunds 'customers of size' for second seats and nobody else does, means you aren't likely to be stuck next to someone encroaching on your seat with Southwest.

I always disliked their 31" pitch seats, but now, most airlines has densified enough that it's all pretty similar.

In fact, I always have good experiences with Alaska but can't see why they'd get #1 except for the award partners.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
NK and AA I can understand as being at the bottom but less so B6 and HA.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by beckoa
Also my 2˘.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
He is also mainly based in NYC, with a lot of time in Miami, so unless he's flying to/from the cities AS serves on the West Coast, it's not going to help him much. Also, he generally prefers lie-flat/premium cabins, even for domestic travel. AS (with exception of VX first class, sort of) doesn't offer that. The ranking is considering all factors for all travelers, the majority of which are not concerned with flying in a lie-flat seat for transcon travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.