Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Southwest Airlines Enters Hawaii - Alaska Airlines May Be the Biggest Loser

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Airlines Enters Hawaii - Alaska Airlines May Be the Biggest Loser

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Chugach
WN’s inter island numbers are atrocious. Worst loads in their system by a lot.
And HA is apparently feeling secure enough to start edging prices back up even when WN is a lot cheaper. Really can’t understand what WN set out to do, especially interisland. It’s a pretty nice little market for one carrier but a bloodbath for two. Why did they think they could come in and succeed where carriers with a lot more history and infrastructure here have declined to play? No doubt they have deep enough pockets to sustain it if they’re determined, but what’s the point?

Still wishing AS would buy buy HA and let me consolidate on one carrier, but that’s not looking likely.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by WrightHI
And HA is apparently feeling secure enough to start edging prices back up even when WN is a lot cheaper. Really can’t understand what WN set out to do, especially interisland. It’s a pretty nice little market for one carrier but a bloodbath for two. Why did they think they could come in and succeed where carriers with a lot more history and infrastructure here have declined to play? No doubt they have deep enough pockets to sustain it if they’re determined, but what’s the point?

Still wishing AS would buy buy HA and let me consolidate on one carrier, but that’s not looking likely.
I get a carrier doing an island hop before flying back like a west coast-HNL-LIH-west coast. Thrn doing full inter island isn’t going to be profitable.

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
Southwest has quietly axed SAN-OGG/KOA/LIH through the end of their schedule. They are still flying to HNL twice daily, so they can funnel traffic to the other islands through there with their interisland flights. I would imagine it's a combination of poor performance and increasing fuel costs.

Whatever the reason, this looks like a win for AS. It looks like AS will go double daily to HNL again this summer, although OGG looks to be staying as a single daily flight (it was double daily last summer).
the problem is in connection booking. How many locations fly direct to San Diego gibpve the booking limit of 1 plane change and 1 stopover or 2 stopovers. They can’t route WA/OR/ID pax thru San Diego

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.