Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Southwest Airlines Enters Hawaii - Alaska Airlines May Be the Biggest Loser

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Airlines Enters Hawaii - Alaska Airlines May Be the Biggest Loser

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
That is only because it is summer
YOY PRASM increases - so summer flying isnt a factor.
Eastbay1K and sltlyamusd like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
YOY PRASM increases - so summer flying isnt a factor.
Oh good. It is so overcast today, I couldn't tell if the sky was falling. Indeed, it is not.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SF1K

Yes I wish AS would be more proactive in matching F fares as well. I do notice that they tend to match the price but not at opening of schedule. So I think I’m going to try to be more patient in booking. I also booked HA for our return Thanksgiving because it was about half of AS but if I’d waited then it would have been the same. I’d rather fly AS for the miles.
When you say "proactive in match F fares", you mean effectively lowering F fares. Since there are a very limited number of F seats, perhaps AS is actually making money off of them by not matching lower fares and/or allowing "mileage" upgrades, particularly at peak times. At the end of the day, consumers should now choose the airline that works best for them and not feel "captive" to a single airline.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by formeraa
When you say "proactive in match F fares", you mean effectively lowering F fares. Since there are a very limited number of F seats, perhaps AS is actually making money off of them by not matching lower fares and/or allowing "mileage" upgrades, particularly at peak times. At the end of the day, consumers should now choose the airline that works best for them and not feel "captive" to a single airline.
Well not sure if they are selling them at the high price point. Guess there is always a fool that won’t shop around and will pay twice as much for an AS F flight over another airline. In my case they lost out because I ended up not wanting to wait and risk not having the fare/flight be available so I bought on HA. And a few months later AS fares were the same price as HA - at that time seemed like zero seats sold - just judging by seat map so I know not an exact science. But AS could have had my $1000 for a few months as opposed to $0. Yes I’m just one person and one example but I’m sure there are others cases where this happens. Again I’m happy to give AS my money and they are the first place I try to buy from but I’m not willing to pay a 100% premium to fly on them.
JIMCHI likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Unless west coast connections improve for those of us coming from the intermountain west, midwest, south, north, east, etc., I'll not be using WN. AS all the way. ^
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I flew AS402 SEA-LAX last Saturday. On check-in, only 4F unassigned and still for sales from $549. In Y, a window and middled in 17 (17A & 17E) and 3 scattered middle behind 17. Expert Flyer showed F3, P2, I1. At ~T-8 the flight was sold out.

At boarding, 4 on the upgrade list (actually 5 because my companion wasn't listed) ans I was #1 . Nobody was upgraded. GA was willing to split on a companion certificate.

So, AS sold out the last of F from $549 on a route with 13 flights that day. Only my second time in Premium this year. Flight was good, Elite Recognition, chocolate bar provided. The roasted Quinoa & Sesame was good but a little sweet compared to dark chocolate. Excellent overall. Also, it was my first time taking advantage of the discount on the AS Credit Card for in-flight purchases.

James
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I flew AS402 SEA-LAX last Saturday. On check-in, only 4F unassigned and still for sales from $549. In Y, a window and middled in 17 (17A & 17E) and 3 scattered middle behind 17. Expert Flyer showed F3, P2, I1. At ~T-8 the flight was sold out.

At boarding, 4 on the upgrade list (actually 5 because my companion wasn't listed) ans I was #1 . Nobody was upgraded. GA was willing to split on a companion certificate.

So, AS sold out the last of F from $549 on a route with 13 flights that day. Only my second time in Premium this year. Flight was good, Elite Recognition, chocolate bar provided. The roasted Quinoa & Sesame was good but a little sweet compared to dark chocolate. Excellent overall. Also, it was my first time taking advantage of the discount on the AS Credit Card for in-flight purchases.

James
I also notice on a few of my recent flights that there are a lot of day of travel F class purchase taking all remaining F seats. AS definitely knows what they're doing.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
With school starting this month for most Western states, I suspect loads will be light. My flight in three weeks is full in the non-elite main seats. But PC, exit row and F are pretty open. But I've learned that seat maps don't matter much since there are a lot of Y tickets without seat assignments that will be placed in elite or PC seats on the day of.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
I also notice on a few of my recent flights that there are a lot of day of travel F class purchase taking all remaining F seats. AS definitely knows what they're doing.
I have been very happy with my recent midcon and transcon experiences in AS F. Even on flights where I don’t get the white leather seats, the new seats are still better than other carriers domestic F non lie-flat products (particularly in terms of legroom...DL, UA and AA have poor legroom up front on many narrow bodies). I also really enjoy the current AS catering on these longer flights.

Southwest to me is the “Blah Airlines” VX used to mention in their ads. The customer service is good but the overall experience is pretty lackluster. I never look forward to flying them like I do with AS. I just miss when AS first started flying to Hawaii and the meals still had Hawaiian flair etc. Since AS only flies it’s 738 and 739ER to Hawaii they could bring back hot BOB meals on these flights, for example, since all these planes have ovens in Y. Would just be a simple and easy way for AS to slightly up its game and probably still pull in more inflight revenue as well.
jjmadison and Flying for Fun like this.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Aug 20, 2019 at 10:39 am
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Agree, moving to cold onboard meals was a bit short sighted... especially ex-Hawaii.
lalala likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Agree, moving to cold onboard meals was a bit short sighted... especially ex-Hawaii.
Personally, I find the quality and variety of the cold meals (sandwich, salad, plus protein platter) to be far superior to the one hot item.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
let’s not forget about SDCs ... just sayin’ ...
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by jrl767

let’s not forget about SDCs ... just sayin’ ...
Agreed. Plus, as a 75k, I find 90% of my upgrades that happen within the check-in window are not reflected on the waitlist. I simply disappear from the waitlist. That would make it appear as if I was a last-minute F buyer.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jjmadison
Agreed. Plus, as a 75k, I find 90% of my upgrades that happen within the check-in window are not reflected on the waitlist. I simply disappear from the waitlist. That would make it appear as if I was a last-minute F buyer.
In my case, I didn't think to check the awaiting seats list. I have seen upgrades to F from there before while the F waitlist was processed afterwards.

James
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SF1K

Yes I wish AS would be more proactive in matching F fares as well. I do notice that they tend to match the price but not at opening of schedule. So I think I’m going to try to be more patient in booking. I also booked HA for our return Thanksgiving because it was about half of AS but if I’d waited then it would have been the same. I’d rather fly AS for the miles.
From a business perspective, it is not to AS's advantage to sell F seats too cheaply, particularly on Hawaii flights where some will actually purchase First Class. One revenue management strategy is to price high at first, then lower as needed later on to fill seats, and then sell them at checkin/gate if necessary. Arguably, people book way in advance in Hawaii flights (as opposed to regular domestic flights) so the demand patterns are different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.