FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   60 day free changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1895734-60-day-free-changes.html)

CZBB Feb 25, 2018 6:07 pm

60 day free changes

I went to change a reservation today (I wanted to change the return leg, 60+ days out) and was told that because the 1st leg is less than 60 days, the change fee applies. When did this change? I have a tweet from Alaska from a few years back over exactly the same thing, and at the time they said "60 days from the leg you want to change"

Was kind of a long conversation with the agent, as at first she didn't want to allow an open jaw on a companion cert, and then tried to claim it wasn't a valid open jaw (it was). She waived one of the two change fees, but I always thought that the 60+ was from the day of the flight you wanted to change.

PABE Feb 25, 2018 6:58 pm

I believe the fare rules dictate that it is 60 days prior to the first leg of the FARE you are changing. A round trip would be two fares; while a oneway with a stopover would be one fare.

I’m not totally sure because most of my domestic travel is booked as two separate one-ways.

channa Feb 26, 2018 9:34 am

All AS fares are OW. You could have booked 2 x OW all along. I would escalate to a supervisor and ask that they waive this.

ashill Feb 26, 2018 11:49 am

Originally Posted by sturges (Post 29458440)
I believe the fare rules dictate that it is 60 days prior to the first leg of the FARE you are changing. A round trip would be two fares; while a oneway with a stopover would be one fare.

From the detailed fare rules of a ticket I just purchased:

FOR CANCELLATIONS MADE 60 DAYS OR MORE BEFORE THE CANCELLED SEGMENT IS SCHEDULED TO DEPART THE APPLICABLE CANCELLATION FEE WILL BE WAIVED.
It seems pretty clear to me that that's 60 days before the segment, not 60 days before the first leg of the fare, unless there's some weirdness about a cancellation fee being different than a change fee. But it sure looks to me like the OP was wrongly charged.

Originally Posted by channa (Post 29460642)
All AS fares are OW. You could have booked 2 x OW all along. I would escalate to a supervisor and ask that they waive this.

With the caveat about any stopovers that sturges mentioned.

CZBB Feb 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Hopefully @missydarlin will step in with the official stance.

missydarlin Feb 26, 2018 3:58 pm

It's hard to answer fully without seeing the reservation, but in general, unless it is somehow tied to the previous segment as a connection, it should be 60 days from the ticketed flight you are trying to change.

CZBB Feb 26, 2018 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin (Post 29462297)
It's hard to answer fully without seeing the reservation, but in general, unless it is somehow tied to the previous segment as a connection, it should be 60 days from the ticketed flight you are trying to change.

Thanks for the answer @missydarlin

Without quoting the exact reservation....
Outbound Apr 13 YVR-SEA-BWI
Original Return Apr 26 BWI-SEA-YVR

The latter is what I changed (to Apr 28 SAT-SEA-YVR), and despite that being > 60 days, I was charged a change fee.... The agent kept saying that because the Apr 13 date was less than 60, I'd have to pay the change fee, despite my wanting to change a Apr 26 reservation

beckoa Feb 26, 2018 10:07 pm

Wonder if there is something weird going on with taxes as its no longer returning to Canada triggering different add collects/refunds?

missydarlin Feb 26, 2018 10:18 pm

It's worth following up with Customer Care.

Originally Posted by CZBB (Post 29462436)
Thanks for the answer @missydarlin

Without quoting the exact reservation....
Outbound Apr 13 YVR-SEA-BWI
Original Return Apr 26 BWI-SEA-YVR

The latter is what I changed (to Apr 28 SAT-SEA-YVR), and despite that being > 60 days, I was charged a change fee.... The agent kept saying that because the Apr 13 date was less than 60, I'd have to pay the change fee, despite my wanting to change a Apr 26 reservation

CZBB Feb 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin (Post 29463450)
It's worth following up with Customer Care.

Done and solved. Thanks.