Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No checked bags on flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Baze

the airline can separate you from your bag. You can’t. Also positive bag match is mainly international.
Technically, you can "separate yourself from your bag" -- by skipping a flight or getting to the gate too late, but your bag is already on the plane.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Technically, you can "separate yourself from your bag" -- by skipping a flight or getting to the gate too late, but your bag is already on the plane.
And I have sat in planes where we got delayed as they had to pull a bag off for a no show. Domestic USA flight.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Baze
And I have sat in planes where we got delayed as they had to pull a bag off for a no show. Domestic USA flight.
How long ago? I thought that had been a post-9/11 (or even post-Lockerbie) policy but that it'd been rescinded in the recent past thanks to bag-screening standards. Even if still the case, it isn't applied with the utmost strictness, since airlines still throw a bag on a later flight if they don't make the traveler's connection.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I'm guessing it had something to do with the fire suppression system. Rare to see BOTH pits out. And it can't be a pressurization issue as the pressure bulkhead is in the back of the plane. And they'll fly with the pits unheated.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Winner winner Costco pasta dinner!

Comments:
SCHEDULE ACTUAL DELAY/CANCEL ARRIVAL
CITY ARRV DEPT ARRV DEPT CODES GATE
PDX ORIG 405P 414P 0F
SFO 600P TERM 611P 50A

0F - FLIGHT OPERATIONS
5PDX/BOTH PITS ARE INOP ON THIS PLANE, CHKD BAGS WILL NN TO BE MOVED ON ALTERNATE FLT *1328*FCF8PM
4PDX/OUT0414P 0.09L OFF0446P *1849
2SFO/ON 0607P IN 0611P 0.11L *2017

Tail number N594AS. Went to SEA last night on AS357 with same restrictions. Sched for AS2 SEA-DCA today and no notation so far. Maybe fixed at SEA overnight/this morning?

Probably whatever the issue was will be fixed in SEA. Looks like it is not back in service yet per flight aware...
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
How long ago? I thought that had been a post-9/11 (or even post-Lockerbie) policy but that it'd been rescinded in the recent past thanks to bag-screening standards. Even if still the case, it isn't applied with the utmost strictness, since airlines still throw a bag on a later flight if they don't make the traveler's connection.

wasn’t too long ago. And what you describe is as I said. The airline can separate a bag from the passenger but a passenger can’t. Example. You check a bag then want to standby for a different flight. You are separating from your bag. I have been turned down whenever I tried on different airlines. Been a couple years since last time I tried as always got turned down.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I'm guessing it had something to do with the fire suppression system. Rare to see BOTH pits out. And it can't be a pressurization issue as the pressure bulkhead is in the back of the plane. And they'll fly with the pits unheated.
You guessed right. Both pits were blocked due to the fire suppression system being inop. I believe it was a problem in the discharge indication circuit.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Putzy
You guessed right. Both pits were blocked due to the fire suppression system being inop. I believe it was a problem in the discharge indication circuit.
Thanks for confirming.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:16 pm

I think it is a random attempt to take passengers' minds off the various problems Alaska/Horizon has had lately. If you complain about this you won't be talking about the Horizon pilot shortage, horrible WiFi, etc. I will be proven right if you see any of the following in the next few months:

1. Passenger name vowel limit (no passengers allowed to board with more than two vowels in their last name)

2. Only people wearing Portland Timbers or 12th Man jerseys allowed in aisle seats

3. No carry on bags permitted (a cousin to the "no checked bags" flight)

4. Shoes must be removed at the cabin door

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.