No checked bags on flight

Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
No checked bags on flight

Was on AS482 (PDX-SFO) and then connecting there to LAX this afternoon. Went to drop my bag off and was told that “there was no access to bags”. Was a bit confused as I couldn’t figure out why I would need access to my checked bag, but the friendly agent at the counter explained that the flight was only carry-on baggage. I’ve never heard of this and neither he agent. We both thought maybe there’s not enough baggage handlers at SFO today or something like that. Anyone ever heard of this? In the end it didn’t have any impact on my flight as AS rerouted me via SEA getting in 20 mins earlier than I would have via SFO, but it was still a bizarre thing to hear about the no baggage flight. Anyone know what may have happened?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
That makes no sense to me... I routinely check luggage and haven't run into this. Were you checking in bags after T-40?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Was there in plenty of time. It wasn’t just my bag. It was all bags. It was a no checked baggage flight. Never seen this before
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Wonder what would have happened if passengers arrived with baggage too large to fit in the overhead compartment.. Bags checked on the next flight? Re-booked on the next flight on which bags could be checked? Sent home SOL?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Wonder what would have happened if passengers arrived with baggage too large to fit in the overhead compartment.. Bags checked on the next flight?
Probably this, or rebooked if they didn't want to be separated from their bag. I sure hope AS was also delivering bags on the arrivals end free of charge versus making people come to retrieve them.

It's not uncommon to see some checked bags left when an aircraft is weight balance limited due to cargo, a larger than normal fuel load, or something else. But usually that is only on longer flights. In this case, I'd bet on some heavy high value/high revenue cargo, a mechanical issue with the plane that affected payload but not its ability to fly, or some other strange explanation.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unlikely to be W&B or simply a weight restriction on this short a flight at this time of year on this route. This sounds most likely to be a mechanical issue affecting access to the baggage hold. Aircraft still operable, but for one reason or another, the hold cannot be accessed or checked bags cannot be properly secured.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Often1
This sounds most likely to be a mechanical issue affecting access to the baggage hold. Aircraft still operable, but for one reason or another, the hold cannot be accessed or checked bags cannot be properly secured.
I've been on at least one flight in the past where that was the case. I vaguely remember something about that on a DL flight either last year or the year before, Not only could they not take bags the plane was limited to a very low altitude.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
What happened to any liquids that might have been in your supposed to be checked bags?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
What happened to any liquids that might have been in your supposed to be checked bags?
Dump or wait for bag to catch another flight.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Dump or wait for bag to catch another flight.
I really need to know what happened because we're headed to SFO on Friday - is anyone sure that it was a broken cargo door or something?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Flight 482 is 737

Seeing that AS 482 is one of the models of 737, checked bag should have been allowed. AS computers of late, has had some hiccups of late, and perhaps, the system was malfunctioning at the time of your bag check, unable to find your record in printing your bag tags. or your check-in time within 40 minutes cut off and no longer available for bag check. (this policy is a bit annoying).
Good that you were able to find a way to making things work, and your destination on-time.

Jiburi
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've had this happen before a couple times in very hot weather operating near the range of the aircraft or off of a short runway. DCA-MCI in a US Airways 737 was one that would either restrict bags, VDB/IDB, or even add a fuel stop in the summer.

Can't really explain PDX-SFO though... MX or some type of highly unusual cargo would make sense, I guess.

The typical procedure should be that the airline accepts the bags, hopefully gives you an indication of how/when they'll be routed, and then delivers them to your hotel or house on the other end. Alternatively, passenger can take a reroute and stay with the bags.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Often1
Unlikely to be W&B or simply a weight restriction on this short a flight at this time of year on this route. This sounds most likely to be a mechanical issue affecting access to the baggage hold. Aircraft still operable, but for one reason or another, the hold cannot be accessed or checked bags cannot be properly secured.
Winner winner Costco pasta dinner!

Code:
Comments:
SCHEDULE     ACTUAL     DELAY/CANCEL   ARRIVAL          
CITY  ARRV  DEPT   ARRV  DEPT   CODES          GATE            
PDX   ORIG  405P         414P  0F                              
SFO   600P  TERM   611P                        50A             

0F - FLIGHT OPERATIONS                                         
5PDX/BOTH PITS ARE INOP ON THIS PLANE, CHKD BAGS WILL NN TO BE MOVED ON ALTERNATE FLT *1328*FCF8PM
4PDX/OUT0414P  0.09L  OFF0446P *1849
2SFO/ON 0607P IN 0611P 0.11L  *2017
Tail number N594AS. Went to SEA last night on AS357 with same restrictions. Sched for AS2 SEA-DCA today and no notation so far. Maybe fixed at SEA overnight/this morning?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Question - I thought the passenger always had to travel on the same plane as his/her luggage. So these checked bags are traveling separately?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Question - I thought the passenger always had to travel on the same plane as his/her luggage. So these checked bags are traveling separately?
the airline can separate you from your bag. You can’t. Also positive bag match is mainly international.
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.