Fiji/Qantas Business-First availability

Old Feb 18, 18, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold
Fiji/Qantas Business-First availability

Wanting to book business and/or first for our family of four for next year. Is this even possible with the listed carriers? I see availability for 2 wide open but nothing more than that.

thanks
Old Feb 18, 18, 9:46 am

Programs: DL FO, Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bosca418 View Post
Wanting to book business and/or first for our family of four for next year. Is this even possible with the listed carriers? I see availability for 2 wide open but nothing more than that.

thanks
Unfortunately North America-Australia awards have the highest demand relative to capacity. I won't say it's flat-out impossible, but your odds aren't very good.
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:24 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
You’d have a good chance of finding two awards to Australia on QF and two on Fiji on the same day. But not likely four on the same carrier (although I did find four QF rewards recently on the same day in J).
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wanting to get from where to where?
What dates?
As above, will be hard to extremely hard to maybe not possible.
AS thread Consolidated Qantas (QF) awards availability/booking/routing thread
If you find availability for 1 or 2 just take. Easier to cancel than find. Then hunt for the next 1 or 2

AS and AA have many common partners so the same problems with premium award availability.
AA QF thread AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
AA FJ thread FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
Old Feb 18, 18, 1:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
This really boils down to stick-to-it-iveness and a bit of luck. As stated above, premium class seats are extremely rare. I felt like I'd won the lottery when I managed to score First Class round trip from Dallas to Sydney this past September. Those seats became available back in January of 2017 and I was fortunate to be able to get almost three weeks in Australia.

I might add that once you're there, getting around is much more easily booked via Qantas' 20000 mile Business Class awards. (Your award ticket to Australia will allow you to travel to one onward destination in Australia beyond your point of entry) I had no problem booking a few days in Alice Springs, Tasmania, Brisbane and Perth. Qantas' transcon Business Class product - especially on the A330s - is top notch, as are its lounges - probably the finest domestic Business Class lounges in the world.

Good luck finding those seats. Flexibility may very well be your best friend in this regard. Remember, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

P.S. I can't speak to Fiji Airways availability as I've never flown with them.
Old Feb 18, 18, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat

thanks
I think your best bet is to focus on Qantas rather than Fiji if you're looking for business class seats....Qantas will be tough but for some reason Fiji seems even tougher....lots of Y availability on Fiji but business class is scarce. My mom and stepdad flew on a Y AS award on Fiji and the seat assignment thing was such a total mess that I actually won't consider flying them myself in Y (ever).
Old Aug 27, 18, 2:40 pm

Searching LAX-NAN-AKL
I see on QF award search tool FJ, J availability. I can not duplicate that availability on AS website, neither can the agent find. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44 View Post
Searching LAX-NAN-AKL
I see on QF award search tool FJ, J availability. I can not duplicate that availability on AS website, neither can the agent find. Any suggestions?
FJ biz award is class U. AS website seems to be totally broken for finding any FJ business awards. You can try reporting the problem. Good luck with that. AS has had bugs for months it has not fixed and I have no confidence they have the expertise to fix. I would try asking to do a long sell and see if they could just request the space on a flight you know has space and wait for FJ to come back with a response. I do not know if AS agents can even do this anymore. If they could their policy is to not allow front line agents to do it. I had an F award on JAL where their main system was down but since the flight was the next day the kind partner desk agent got approval from a supervisor to use the "backup system" as she called it and was able to complete the booking. I wonder if this "backup system" does long sells?

So I would suggest:
1) Report the problem to AS. Likely they will either ignore it or not fix it but it is worth a try.
2) Ask to for them to try a long sell for dates you know are available via QF using "U" class".
3) If the agent claims not to know what a long sell is then ask if they can try the backup system.
4) If agent is clueless or claims 2 or 3 are not allowed ask for a supervisor to help.