Wiki Posts
Search

Redeem AA miles for AS EQM?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Redeem AA miles for AS EQM?

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible book a flight with American Airline's AAdvantage miles (the flight I'm looking at is marketed by AA but operated by AS) and receive elite qualifying miles for my Alaska Mileage Plan?

The only non-AS flight I've taken this year was a total mess, which is why I was given the AA miles.I am currently just short of MVP status in my first year as a member of AS and don't currently have any other trips planned for the year.

Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
You don't earn elite qualifying miles on award tickets, but I do appreciate the username. ^
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
To be clear: if you're using AA miles, you're still just booking into the AS saver award fare bucket. Earnings will be the same as if you'd made the booking with AS miles, so nada.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by crimedawg
I'm wondering if it's possible book a flight with American Airline's AAdvantage miles (the flight I'm looking at is marketed by AA but operated by AS)
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

This is more or less a technicality, but if you're booking the flight with miles, it will be sold as an AS flight all the way. AA does not sell AA-marketed codeshare flights on AS metal with miles; codeshares (with very rare exceptions not relevant here) only apply to tickets paid for with cash. An AA codeshare may well exist on the flight you're looking at, but it wouldn't be what you purchase with miles.

Others have correctly answered your question about whether this AS flight would earn miles of any flavor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.