Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming AS Route Cuts

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I thought the article also said that the bulk of the passengers on PSC-PDX were connecting in PDX. If that’s the case, then it does make sense to beef up PSC-SEA and push connections through SEA since there are more places to connect to.

I’d love PSC-PDX to stick around, but honestly the biggest competition on that route is I-82/84. I suspect PSC-SEA has much more O&D traffic as well.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
I thought the article also said that the bulk of the passengers on PSC-PDX were connecting in PDX. If that’s the case, then it does make sense to beef up PSC-SEA and push connections through SEA since there are more places to connect to.

I’d love PSC-PDX to stick around, but honestly the biggest competition on that route is I-82/84. I suspect PSC-SEA has much more O&D traffic as well.
So the Seattle Times article a handful of posts up above didn’t mention it was for connections. They mentioned most the cut routes were because they weren’t bringing in enough money on them, even with full planes. I believe AS said “cutting their losses with lower fares” on those routes. So again, would the PSC-PDX flight still been 80%+ full if they had bumped the fare up $15 to $20 each direction? I mean I don’t want to pay more, but an extra $30 to $40 for a round trip compared to a connection in Seattle and probably a $50 to $100 increase in cost is kinda a no brainer.

Also, if they were connections and specifically AS connections (think onward to Hawaii and SoCal, Vegas, NY markets) then will that mean the PDX flights to those places will start to see a reduction in pax? I certainly would not fly from PSC into Seattle just to get to PDX so I can catch a flight to Hawaii or to BUR/LAX. That would be crazy to make it 3 steps vs 2.... unless it was like $100+ CHEAPER. If AS already is trying to manage costs, I can’t imagine too much routing where 3 flights were less then 2 flights to the same place...

So is this a sign that PDX might get frequency cut back on transcons and SoCal flights to once daily? (If any are currently more then once) Will they lose Hawaii for an extra flight to Hawaii going out of SEA and PDX people will have to shuttle up there first?

Or is this really more like 95% trying to hog the gates at SEA to make trouble for Delta? Again, I TOTALLY understand that... but maybe think about doing that before you spend a boat load of money buying an airline that was mainly out of California. Because reducing Horizon service just to boost SEA seats and keeping all the Virgin California locations gets you a lot of smaller PNW locations that are pissed off at you now.

What makes them better then Delta or United now at those locations? (Other then mileage plan; but for the leisure traveler AS isn’t going to stand out of the pack except for price or convenience, and they may have just got rid of the convenience for a lot of those cut routes...)
Old May 23, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by acarney
So is this a sign that PDX might get frequency cut back on ... SoCal flights to once daily? (If any are currently more then once)
Seriously? Looking at a random weekday in July, AS is running 8x PDX-LAX, 2x PDX-ONT, 3x PDX-BUR, 4x PDX-SNA, and 4x PDX-SAN. I think the loss of a connection possibility from the tri-cities, combined population of under 200k, isn't going to have a significant impact on frequencies from an airport in an MSA of 2.4 million.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
Seriously? Looking at a random weekday in July, AS is running 8x PDX-LAX, 2x PDX-ONT, 3x PDX-BUR, 4x PDX-SNA, and 4x PDX-SAN. I think the loss of a connection possibility from the tri-cities, combined population of under 200k, isn't going to have a significant impact on frequencies from an airport in an MSA of 2.4 million.
I was thinking of all the route cuts to PDX and instead into SEA.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jinglish
The E175 also is also only replacing the Q400 on the longer QX routes. AS is still going to have something like forty of the Bombardiers.
That's AS' line, but those routes don't exist in a vacuum. RNO-SJC goes to E175 the week after the tag SJC-EUG gets axed. I don't think that's a coincidence. E175's are on the Seattle Shuttle, which is hardly a long thin route. Less Q400's, less slack, and more pressure to move them off of the more marginal routes.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
surprised they could not make MMH work. that's a bear of a drive from SMF, and not much fun from RNO either. relocating service to Bishop makes operational sense but not sure that the terminal infrastructure is up to snuff ot support it. MMH is tourist driven, but there is a lot of money that pours into that place in the winter. if AS is giving away the farm on cheap fares in the high season, that's their own problem.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:18 am

Has flight 1370 LAX-BOS been cancelled? I had that booked for late August but I can't view the reservation. Furthermore, it seems that flight drops off the schedule after August 24 and the route drops to two flights a day, with the elimination of the red eye. Thought I'd ask here because I have yet to be contacted by Alaska, nor could I find any posts or news reports about a reduction on this route.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grandmaster b
Has flight 1370 LAX-BOS been cancelled? I had that booked for late August but I can't view the reservation. Furthermore, it seems that flight drops off the schedule after August 24 and the route drops to two flights a day, with the elimination of the red eye. Thought I'd ask here because I have yet to be contacted by Alaska, nor could I find any posts or news reports about a reduction on this route.
The reduction was in the 4/8/2018 OAG update (see link below). The route previously was scheduled as 3x daily in Sep and Oct (going to 2X in Nov), but they reduced it to 2x for those months pulling the red-eye departure on LAX-BOS. I would suspect it will return again for next spring/summer.

OAG Changes 4/8/2018: DL Drops EWR-CDG, EW Drops RSW-CGN;, Level Into EWR-ORY, WN Adds MDW-SNA, Y4 Drops LAX-ACA/PVR - Airliners.net

Last edited by xliioper; May 25, 2018 at 5:24 am
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
I got an email that my itinerary has changed on an upcoming OAK-LIH flight. I'm not sure if they reduced the frequency (it's currently at 3x, except around Thanksgiving and Xmas where it's 7x) or just shifted the days they operate around (Tu/Th/Sa). KOA and OGG are 7x during the summer/holiday season and 4x (KOA)/6x (OGG) during offpeak.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:03 pm

More frequency cutting on EUG-PDX. Early morning flight cut Sun/Tue/Wed beginning 8/28, leaving only two daily flights to Portland on those days.

Gotta call tomorrow for a schedule change and see if they'll open U on an alternate flight..
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
As much as I love PDX - Do you think PDX will be dehubbed in favor of SEA & SFO? I honestly can't see 4 west coast hubs going on forever and I would think that AS would setup a hub or at least a focus city somewhere on the east coast. Seems like cutting frequency would be a precursor to dehubbing. I hope i'm 1000% wrong though.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by am1108
As much as I love PDX - Do you think PDX will be dehubbed in favor of SEA & SFO? I honestly can't see 4 west coast hubs going on forever and I would think that AS would setup a hub or at least a focus city somewhere on the east coast. Seems like cutting frequency would be a precursor to dehubbing. I hope i'm 1000% wrong though.
All of the hubs are pretty focused on O&D over connections. Provided the local demand remains strong, Portland can easily support its current level of flights.
am1108 and jinglish like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It’s like asking if WN needs to dehub PHX. The way AS runs their network is closer to WN than AA; they’re much more willing to explore new markets like SAN and SJC, much like WN did through their history. While they can get some international feed unlike WN, they are optimized for domestic operations like WN. They are used to having to scrap in the LCC bucket in hubs where they are 50% or less of the market (also similar to WN in PHX, DEN, DAL/DFW, Bay Area, LAX and surrounds).

I wouldn’t be particularly worried.
am1108 and jinglish like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:23 pm

MFR-PDX appears to be going from 6x Sun-Fri/5x Sat to 5x Sun-Fri/3x Sat around September. RDM-PDX from 5x Sun-Fri/4x Sat to 4x Sun-Fri/3x Sat.

Was just doing a rough stare at end of schedule and in between. I'd assume if it was just seasonal, it should return by the current end of schedule.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:06 am

that would be the dumbest thing they could do. PDX to them is far more profitable than SFO/SAN/SJC. It's far more likely for them to give up in one of those market and retreat than dehubbing a place where they are printing money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.