Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming AS Route Cuts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I have to believe that there are lots of disaffected AA/DL/UA SFO/LAX elites, who don't obsess over lie-flat seats for domestic travel, find AS' lower qualification thresholds, generous elite benefits and award partners as a compelling alternative.
In my case (SAN-based), I will choose an AS nonstop to the east coast and Hawaii over a connection in LAX, DFW or PHX EVERY TIME. I am fortunate to have earned LT PLT status on AA, have that as a fallback, but now consider AS my carrier of choice.

After all is said and done, AS may have no choice but to give up much of the low-margin VX business, continue to carve out niche service where there are profits to be had, resulting in another chapter in the MBA textbook on M&A failures.
ashill likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The problem for AS—even with SEA based transcons is that the B6 product in economy is also way better AND cheaper. This is not to even mention that lie flats to BOS are going for $399 on B6 and double or more for AS. Would you be willing to pay double or more for an inferior AS product? The marginal perks achieved through Mileage Plan would not be worth it. You also get free entertainment and high speed internet on B6. As the competition ramps up the value proposition of AS falls off the cliff.

ptownca likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:59 am

I just booked SFO to FLL in December. I know they eliminated that flight for several months, but this flight is still available. Thoughtson whether they will cancel it altogether?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah, which is why "ditch SFO for LAX" is so peculiar an argument. It's HARDER to make money on a route when five airlines fly it, not just two. Look at how many times SJC-LAX has been a flop for AS (and it was one for VX, too)- or LAX-CUN (flop for both AS and VX).
But consider this - LAX has been a loyal Alaska hub and connection destination for various partners for decades. Brand loyalty is strong in LAX. In SFO the Alaska trade name is not as much. Yep, it bought Virgin America, but it's not Alaska and its not the same airline as Virgin America. Will 100% of those customers stay?

I always viewed buying Virgin America as a way to eliminate a competitor on CA routes and to prevent Jet Blue from buying it. I never saw it more than that. The airplanes are different type. Brand loyalty is not to Alaska but Virgin Air in SFO. Will all those Airbus planes be retained when leases come due?

Who knows what any of this really means.
​​​​
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ashill

B6 establishes its first base in JFK, which is such a large market that it can’t really be compared to DL moving into SEA.

BOS is pretty comparable to SEA in size (or at least was before DL built up SEA) and in geography (being in the corner of the country, so limited in domestic connection opportunities). But B6 moved in after AA essentially ended their focus city operation in favor of the cornerstone strategy. So BOS was devoid of a carrier with a broad network and therefore ripe for a lower-cost airline that can appeal to upper middle class leisure travelers (a market that I think all three of VX, B6, and AS are more focused on that the big three). There really aren’t any similar opportunities for AS/VX at this point, at least not ones that are obvious to me. So I don’t think it’s fair to say that AS/VX are failures for being unable to move into SFO and build up a profitable and loyal base as quickly as B6 did in BOS/JFK and DL did in SEA (which was the genesis of this side conversation).
And when B6 launched didn't it focus on routes not served well by existing carriers, like the carribean?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:32 am

AS just needs to figure out what they need to do with the assets they got. Flying all of legacy VX routes is not going to work, since the most profitable routes all are now getting hammered by mint. As part of the merger, they now have 10 gates at LAX for about 90 flights. That’s a solid #5 in the market. Nobody is going to make a lot of money in LAX, but it’s a necessary evil if you want to have a solid west coast strategy. Keep increasing presence from PNW/SFO to BUR/ONT/SNA. Doing OAK/SJC to BUR/ONT/SNA is too costly at the moment. Start from where you are stronger than WN which is SEA/PDX/SFO and add flights to these secondary LA basin markets.

At Bay area, you have a split operation at SFO/SJC. There really isn’t any reason to fly transcon routes like EWR-SJC when you have presence at SFO, those are terribly low yielding Maybe concentrate on west coast routes and mid con routes out of SJC. At SFO, add routes that make things viable for ff and businesses. It’s going to cost money to sustain such an operation, but they already spent $2.6 billion to be in this position. Why would you just give up?
Defend SEA at all cost. This is your home base and your profit center. DL is blowing a lot of money to build up their operation there. There is no way DL is profitable at SEA imo. So you keep adding capacity on the markets that are competing against DL. When there is a recession (and there will be one soon), DL is going to retreat or cut down from all the markets that are less profitable and SEA will be one of them.
And sorry to the SAN/PDX ff, those 2 stations are going to be the ones taking the hit from this. PDX has very little competition, so they don’t need to focus there. SAN this and next year will become very low yielding with WN adding capacity + added HI competition from WN/HA + transcon pressure from mint (BOS was by far their highest yielding transcon out of SAN).
As for DAL operation, those LGA/DCA routes are ridiculous. They are horribly low yielding against AA’s hub-to-hub operation. The walk prices on LGA-DAL is in the low $100s for a 4 hour flight on E75. How is that anything but hemorrhaging money? Sell those slots and add more frequency to west coast, where you can probably really hurt WN.

BOS is pretty comparable to SEA in size (or at least was before DL built up SEA) and in geography (being in the corner of the country, so limited in domestic connection opportunities). But B6 moved in after AA essentially ended their focus city operation in favor of the cornerstone strategy. So BOS was devoid of a carrier with a broad network and therefore ripe for a lower-cost airline that can appeal to upper middle class leisure travelers (a market that I think all three of VX, B6, and AS are more focused on that the big three). There really aren’t any similar opportunities for AS/VX at this point, at least not ones that are obvious to me. So I don’t think it’s fair to say that AS/VX are failures for being unable to move into SFO and build up a profitable and loyal base as quickly as B6 did in BOS/JFK and DL did in SEA (which was the genesis of this side conversation).
There is big difference bw B6 at BOS and AS at SEA. AS has far longer history at SEA and faces much less competition and has much greater market share. Even at this point, B6 is only at 31% market share domestically and something like 25% market share overall at BOS. They have very few monopolies and are dominated on most of the major business markets out of BOS, which are mostly AA/UA strongholds. In a sense, it makes DL incursion harder because they have to go into a lot of routes that are B6 + one of AA/UA/WN duopolies vs at SEA which have a lot of routes heavily dominated by AS. B6 had to enter many markets that were legacy strongholds in order to build up to their current position at BOS. Entering LGA/ATL-BOS in fact triggered the recent BOS expansion by DL, which imo hasn't hurt B6 all that much, but is putting a huge dent on DL profits.

They had suffer through several years of pain at BOS before the station became really profitable. Same with FLL, which was the least profitable focus city, but now in the past few quarters have really climbed up the charts now that they have started winning FLL point of sale. My prediction is that once they are out of room to expand at BOS/FLL, they will move into IAD and really challenge UA there.

If anything, B6 expansion at BOS/FLL are good blueprints for what AS needs to do to build its SFO/SJC operation against UA/WN.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by tphuang
AS just needs to figure out what they need to do with the assets they got. Flying all of legacy VX routes is not going to work, since the most profitable routes all are now getting hammered by mint. As part of the merger, they now have 10 gates at LAX for about 90 flights. That’s a solid #5 in the market. Nobody is going to make a lot of money in LAX, but it’s a necessary evil if you want to have a solid west coast strategy. Keep increasing presence from PNW/SFO to BUR/ONT/SNA. Doing OAK/SJC to BUR/ONT/SNA is too costly at the moment. Start from where you are stronger than WN which is SEA/PDX/SFO and add flights to these secondary LA basin markets.

At Bay area, you have a split operation at SFO/SJC. There really isn’t any reason to fly transcon routes like EWR-SJC when you have presence at SFO, those are terribly low yielding Maybe concentrate on west coast routes and mid con routes out of SJC. At SFO, add routes that make things viable for ff and businesses. It’s going to cost money to sustain such an operation, but they already spent $2.6 billion to be in this position. Why would you just give up?
Defend SEA at all cost. This is your home base and your profit center. DL is blowing a lot of money to build up their operation there. There is no way DL is profitable at SEA imo. So you keep adding capacity on the markets that are competing against DL. When there is a recession (and there will be one soon), DL is going to retreat or cut down from all the markets that are less profitable and SEA will be one of them.
And sorry to the SAN/PDX ff, those 2 stations are going to be the ones taking the hit from this. PDX has very little competition, so they don’t need to focus there. SAN this and next year will become very low yielding with WN adding capacity + added HI competition from WN/HA + transcon pressure from mint (BOS was by far their highest yielding transcon out of SAN).
As for DAL operation, those LGA/DCA routes are ridiculous. They are horribly low yielding against AA’s hub-to-hub operation. The walk prices on LGA-DAL is in the low $100s for a 4 hour flight on E75. How is that anything but hemorrhaging money? Sell those slots and add more frequency to west coast, where you can probably really hurt WN.

There is big difference bw B6 at BOS and AS at SEA. AS has far longer history at SEA and faces much less competition and has much greater market share. Even at this point, B6 is only at 31% market share domestically and something like 25% market share overall at BOS. They have very few monopolies and are dominated on most of the major business markets out of BOS, which are mostly AA/UA strongholds. In a sense, it makes DL incursion harder because they have to go into a lot of routes that are B6 + one of AA/UA/WN duopolies vs at SEA which have a lot of routes heavily dominated by AS. B6 had to enter many markets that were legacy strongholds in order to build up to their current position at BOS. Entering LGA/ATL-BOS in fact triggered the recent BOS expansion by DL, which imo hasn't hurt B6 all that much, but is putting a huge dent on DL profits.

They had suffer through several years of pain at BOS before the station became really profitable. Same with FLL, which was the least profitable focus city, but now in the past few quarters have really climbed up the charts now that they have started winning FLL point of sale. My prediction is that once they are out of room to expand at BOS/FLL, they will move into IAD and really challenge UA there.

If anything, B6 expansion at BOS/FLL are good blueprints for what AS needs to do to build its SFO/SJC operation against UA/WN.
Great analysis tphuang. For my own selfish reasons I wish they would just move the entire SFO operation down to SJC and own the South Bay. But that isn't going to happen...
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Brand loyalty is strong in LAX. In SFO the Alaska trade name is not as much. Yep, it bought Virgin America, but it's not Alaska and its not the same airline as Virgin America. Will 100% of those customers stay?
100%? No, of course not. The question is whether AS can keep much of the brand loyalty VX enjoyed (largely unprofitably) while turning it into an operation that can work for AS and expand the base of customers loyal to the things that the AS brand stands for.

I always viewed buying Virgin America as a way to eliminate a competitor on CA routes and to prevent Jet Blue from buying it. I never saw it more than that. The airplanes are different type. Brand loyalty is not to Alaska but Virgin Air in SFO.
​​​​

I think absolutely everyone who has commented on this thread and the other similar ones agrees on that point.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Glad to hear you've gone to the work to collect the real statistics.
My curiosity got the better of me, and I took a bit of time to tabulate the latest available O&D stats (Q4 2016 to Q3 2017). These are (10%) passenger numbers from the SF market (SFO/OAK/SJC) for the top 50. Although I'm using airport codes here for easy identification, they are market level stats (for example, LAX includes BUR, LGB, SNA, JFK includes EWR and LGA, etc.). Sorry about the lack of formatting.

Market (from SFO) Passengers
  1. LAX 464819
  2. JFK 197296
  3. LAS 153402
  4. SAN 138973
  5. SEA 134467
  6. ORD 102605
  7. DEN 87734
  8. IAD 85274
  9. PDX 83364
  10. PHX 78721
  11. BOS 77134
  12. DFW 66136
  13. HNL 47756
  14. SLC 44595
  15. ATL 41872
  16. FLL 40706 (note: FLL gets more than MIA!)
  17. IAH 39855
  18. AUS 37254
  19. OGG 34409
  20. MSP 34308
  21. MCO 29995
  22. PHL 29192
  23. DTW 25550
  24. MSY 16920
  25. STL 15802
  26. RDU 15294
  27. LIH 15214
  28. CLT 14628
  29. KOA 14429
  30. MCI 14175
  31. BNA 14160
  32. ABQ 13109
  33. CLE 12919
  34. TPA 12020
  35. PSP 11267
  36. IND 10788
  37. CVG 10674
  38. PIT 10645
  39. CMH 9890
  40. BOI 9625
  41. RNO 9342
  42. SAT 9315
  43. MKE 8940
  44. TUS 8453
  45. GEG 8096
  46. BDL 7450
  47. OMA 6271
  48. EUG 5402
  49. MEM 4478
  50. BUF 4362
ashill likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by diver858
I have to believe that there are lots of disaffected AA/DL/UA SFO/LAX elites, who don't obsess over lie-flat seats for domestic travel, find AS' lower qualification thresholds, generous elite benefits and award partners as a compelling alternative.
In my case (SAN-based), I will choose an AS nonstop to the east coast and Hawaii over a connection in LAX, DFW or PHX EVERY TIME...
I can see how that might make sense at SAN, but the problem at SFO (let alone LAX) is that the AS network is becoming so weak that, outside the West, they have barely any advantage over competitors with no special presence at SFO at all! Consider DL. If you look at the top 10 destinations east of the Rockies, DL lacks nonstop service to 6, and AS lacks nonstop service to 4. So AS has a modest advantage in nonstop service, but it is, IMO, offset by the fact that DL has good connecting service to the markets it doesn’t serve nonstop, while AS effectively has no service at all to these markets. This can make it difficult to concentrate most of one’s flying on AS, regardless of how disaffected one is.

After all is said and done, AS may have no choice but to give up much of the low-margin VX business, continue to carve out niche service where there are profits to be had, resulting in another chapter in the MBA textbook on M&A failures.
Indeed.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
But consider this - LAX has been a loyal Alaska hub and connection destination for various partners for decades. Brand loyalty is strong in LAX. In SFO the Alaska trade name is not as much. Yep, it bought Virgin America, but it's not Alaska and its not the same airline as Virgin America. Will 100% of those customers stay?

I always viewed buying Virgin America as a way to eliminate a competitor on CA routes and to prevent Jet Blue from buying it. I never saw it more than that. The airplanes are different type. Brand loyalty is not to Alaska but Virgin Air in SFO. Will all those Airbus planes be retained when leases come due?
​​​​
In hindsight, it does appear AS buying VX was a panic move to prevent B6 buying VX. As I was a long time SFO VX flyer, I think 99% of the SFO/VX crowd would have much preferred B6 getting VX. Similar planes, culture etc.

A B6/VX combo would have been a winner and a strong competitor not to just AS, but the legacy carriers.

I'm now in the B6 camp, especially with Mint. AS will need to definitely adjust F pricing where Mint competes with them. Last spring it was cheaper to go SEA > SFO in VX F and then SFO>BOS in Mint than AS non stop F to Boston.

I had hoped against hope that AS would absorb what made VX special, but with time, it shown me nothing but tone deafness.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:02 pm

My guess is that AS was hoping that the Q400's cost advantages could grab at least a large share of a few of the smaller markets (e.g. BFL/RDD/ACV) from UX at SFO, which would give them a few seats per flight of feed. We know what happened to that idea.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:42 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Folks:
I appreciate the passion around this topic, however, personal attacks will not be tolerated. I have cleaned up a number of posts and deleted others here. Please stay on topic, discussing the route cuts.

Ryandc99, Moderator Alaska Airlines
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:50 am

It looks like starting from May 20th, SFO-MEX is severely cut down. The prices on all the still scheduled days are showing $353. Not sure if it's going to get completely or just reduction in schedule.

LAX-FLL is down to once daily starting the same week.

Edited: now SFO-MEX is gone completely. LAX-MEX gets the second daily back.

Last edited by tphuang; Feb 25, 2018 at 7:39 am
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
One has to wonder if they are expecting another QX meltdown and need the aircraft just in case, if they will just keep more spares around for the summer, or will shift more capacity to the PNW. They haven’t done much route specific advertising and I doubt many people even knew AS was flying to MEX or had service to MSP from SFO. The more west coast campaign may actually be hurting them as people assume they don’t go anywhere but the West Coast and people thinking they now go everywhere from the West Coast find they go to very few places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.