Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming AS Route Cuts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
If you have not paid attention the growth from Portland has significantly been cut. Portland has borne the impact of the Horizon problems. Those 'new' flights we had to Kansas City, St. Louis, Omaha, and so forth been pulled from the schedule due to Horizon's issues. Some reappeared for Feb travel, but then were pulled until later. Our Oakland and Sacramento schedule is on/off again. So it's hit or miss. You can hit the Boston, New York, LAX or the San Diego flights, those are consistent. The rest, not so.
Alaska and Horizon have grown consistently in PDX over past few years, with 12% more passengers in 2017 compared to 2014. The growth under the Alaska brand is probably more since Skywest saw 20%+ growth in 2017.

Yes, the network has changed, but PDX still has more non-stop destinations on AS than on any other airline, by a large margin.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:02 am

Not surprised about the Sjywest numbers. I only flew 737 or E175 last year. I could not risk booking a Q400 and having it cancelled.

Last edited by Orwaid; Feb 20, 2018 at 2:39 pm
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
You're right Alaska can't be everything to everyone. But other than Seattle residents it is morphing into nothing for no one.
The promise of broad service from SFO following the VX acquisition is slowly evaporating.
Skyjumper likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by getoffthe grid
The promise of broad service from SFO following the VX acquisition is slowly evaporating.
Even keeping what VX had seems questionable at this point.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
Alaska and Horizon have grown consistently in PDX over past few years, with 12% more passengers in 2017 compared to 2014. The growth under the Alaska brand is probably more since Skywest saw 20%+ growth in 2017.

Yes, the network has changed, but PDX still has more non-stop destinations on AS than on any other airline, by a large margin.
And a lot of those new markets have 'temporarily' disappeared. In years past I could hop Delta or American and make it work. Today I need to look elsewhere to make it work.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Even keeping what VX had seems questionable at this point.
Yep, maybe the best course of action is to pull back on SFO, concentrate on north/south traffic, and push some of the the VI airplanes to San Jose where there is less direct competition and AS was already decently well established.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:08 pm

Yep, maybe the best course of action is to pull back on SFO, concentrate on north/south traffic, and push some of the the VI airplanes to San Jose where there is less direct competition and AS was already decently well established.
They probably shouldn't have spent $4 billion on VX if that's the plan. They could have built up the existing network organically, and backfilled the QX hole with E175s instead of using them on routes like SFO-MSP, SFO-ABQ, SFO-MCI, etc. Too late now.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There is also way less traffic and WN is no less of a tough customer than UA (they have similar market share at SJC to UA at SFO, as well as more traffic volume than AS). You’re also going to run out of gate space that already exists for AS at SFO. Also, there’s a decent chance LAX performs worse than SFO- many SFO VX routes don’t have LAX counterparts. Where are you putting those planes? BUR? ONT?

Doing a complete fold and turning VX planes into beer cans would be a career ending event for a lot of AS execs. Shareholders don’t like it when you burn a few billion of shareholder value for nothing. And it’s not like Delta was going to stay partners with AS under any circumstances once they decided a SEA hub was their goal, so I think the “flexibility” you tout was a chimera, a circumstance that wasn’t going to last.
PDXpress likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
The PDX-ORD redeye is basically the spring break and holiday overflow flight. It's not regular and really not much of an option. Alaska may be flying 5 RTS from SEA-ORD, but that's not helping me one bit. Alaska can choose to bail on PDX-ORD, its fine with me. When we received mileage plan credit on AA it was no big deal. Now its a big deal.

You're right Alaska can't be everything to everyone. But other than Seattle residents it is morphing into nothing for no one.
Webtraveller you are dead on right. For us in PDX taking away DL and domestic AA now I can't go to the places I need to go, so need to consider switching carriers in order to maintain status, or split up my flights and be nobody on multiple carriers. Still trying to figure out what to do. Maybe a B6 AS merger is in the works as has been speculated on here.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Doing a complete fold and turning VX planes into beer cans would be a career ending event for a lot of AS execs. Shareholders don’t like it when you burn a few billion of shareholder value for nothing. And it’s not like Delta was going to stay partners with AS under any circumstances once they decided a SEA hub was their goal, so I think the “flexibility” you tout was a chimera, a circumstance that wasn’t going to last.
So far, it does seem that AS management did not do their homework on this deal and acted out of fear rather than rationality. Many airlines have been bought and basically disappeared after the acquiring airline found greater value in just eliminating a competitor completely rather than making the new route network work. In this case, AS seems to be doing the opposite. They are dragging down their own profitable/successful business while helping their competitors in the process. I think the hole they are in is only getting deeper and I would love to know what the plan is to either make the former VX network profitable at the same levels as AS was or how they plan to shift all the extra capacity currently used on marginally profitable/loss making ventures into something else that would be more successful. VX was just barely making money at much lower wage levels. It is really difficult to see how AS is going to make this work...but I guess we have to be patient and see if they have a magic plan nobody knows about just yet to turn things around.

The VX investors really come out looking like geniuses for off loading the debt and getting twice the market cap as before the bid--while adding no additional market cap to ALK.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Maybe a B6 AS merger is in the works as has been speculated on here.
I hope for your sake that you don't use unfounded FT speculation as the basis for your loyalty decisions.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Webtraveller you are dead on right. For us in PDX taking away DL and domestic AA now I can't go to the places I need to go, so need to consider switching carriers in order to maintain status, or split up my flights and be nobody on multiple carriers. Still trying to figure out what to do. Maybe a B6 AS merger is in the works as has been speculated on here.
I am not really sure a B6 merger would offer us anything of significant value.. There are too many holes in that network as well.

I think this is all a mess. Before this started I could easily fly anywhere in the country or world and get Alaska credit on Alaska or a partner, primarily for me, AA. It worked well.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:58 am

I would hate to see a merger bw AS and B6. Horrible for consumers. But I think AS and B6 would benefit from a greater partnership with code share and earning/redeeming miles. Outside of transcon, they don't compete much and both are dealing with Delta incursion. I don't see any of the big 4 would partner with either AS and B6 at this point. And maybe they are already having conversation about that.

AS would do great if they can move into JFK T5 (and get better gates at BOS) and I'm sure B6 would also prefer moving to T2 at SFO in the future if AA moves out. Just some examples of how this could work out.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
So far, it does seem that AS management did not do their homework on this deal and acted out of fear rather than rationality. Many airlines have been bought and basically disappeared after the acquiring airline found greater value in just eliminating a competitor completely rather than making the new route network work. In this case, AS seems to be doing the opposite. They are dragging down their own profitable/successful business while helping their competitors in the process. I think the hole they are in is only getting deeper and I would love to know what the plan is to either make the former VX network profitable at the same levels as AS was or how they plan to shift all the extra capacity currently used on marginally profitable/loss making ventures into something else that would be more successful. VX was just barely making money at much lower wage levels. It is really difficult to see how AS is going to make this work...but I guess we have to be patient and see if they have a magic plan nobody knows about just yet to turn things around.

The VX investors really come out looking like geniuses for off loading the debt and getting twice the market cap as before the bid--while adding no additional market cap to ALK.
There are a lot of posts like this on forums. Wall Street has trained the economy to depend on instant gratification. I don't have any idea what AS management is planning, but I hope they are planning for the future. I think a few years of decreased profits, or even small losses might be neccisiary to build what they have mind. I assume VX wasn't part of the original plan, but their hands were forces when faces with the possibility of B6 gaining a foothold. That would probably have been a major obstacle to any plan.

Of course no one here is party to the thinking of upper management, aside from their public statements. So it's all just speculation.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I think this is all a mess. Before this started I could easily fly anywhere in the country or world and get Alaska credit on Alaska or a partner, primarily for me, AA. It worked well.
DL and DL partnered Skyteam carriers would have gone in any case, regardless of AS' purchase.

So far neither AA nor AS have publicly stated the exact reasons for that partnership's drawdown. It could be that AA didn't want to pay mileage as they switched to a revenue based scheme, along with continuing to give elite benefits to customers who sidestepped AA's spend requirements by switching programs. That isn't VX dependent either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.