Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming AS Route Cuts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
Originally Posted by Aliquot
There are a lot of comments maitiaining that AS can't compete with multiple frequencies on XXX-YYY, but AS has fueled a lot of growth with one daily flight in many major markets, and with major holes in their network (when did they restart SLC?). Maybe they have gotten to big for that now, but we won't know until they start shrinking and loosing money.
Inclined to agree. While I don't like that they're cutting SFO-MSP, an example of this growth is at BWI--started a while back with just one service to SEA, and now has service to SEA/SAN/LAX, SFO through VX, and seasonally, PDX.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by obnoxoid
Inclined to agree. While I don't like that they're cutting SFO-MSP, an example of this growth is at BWI--started a while back with just one service to SEA, and now has service to SEA/SAN/LAX, SFO through VX, and seasonally, PDX.
When I lived in the Bay Area, maybe five or so years ago I had to fly to MSP on business (my one and only visit to the great state of Minnesota so far). I was a UA 1K, and as I recall they had exactly one non-stop each day. I think it was an A319. I just checked and today they (or rather, Skywest) were flying two E175s to MSP. If the big dog in San Francisco can't offer more non-stop service, it doesn't seem surprising that AS has trouble with that route (and that they didn't put more flights on it to begin with).
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
When I lived in the Bay Area, maybe five or so years ago I had to fly to MSP on business (my one and only visit to the great state of Minnesota so far). I was a UA 1K, and as I recall they had exactly one non-stop each day. I think it was an A319. I just checked and today they (or rather, Skywest) were flying two E175s to MSP. If the big dog in San Francisco can't offer more non-stop service, it doesn't seem surprising that AS has trouble with that route (and that they didn't put more flights on it to begin with).
...yet UA is actually able to sustain 3 mainline flights in the summer season when AS can sustain none.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:47 pm

AS has nixed VX LAX-CUN as well
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Anyways, about dominant carriers, UA has about 40% market share at SFO. It's not a fortress hub like IAH or EWR. It's also WAY bigger than OAK/SJC.

[...]

Additional fun fact: WN has a bigger operation by pax volume at SFO than VX or AS had. So does AA. So does DL. All of them have bigger operations than VX at LAX as well (and WAY bigger ones at LAX/SFO than AS has at SAN/SJC- in fact, WN, DL, AA and UA are also, wait for it, bigger than AS at SAN, at least pre-merger). Contemplate all that for a moment before you decide AS needs to bail at SFO, but it's no big deal, they'll make it up in much smaller airports.
Slight correction: that's mainline market share. Skywest is 9%, and my guess is that's mostly United (although some is AS and some is probably AA and DL; I don't care to dig into that level of detail), so United is probably closer to 50%. But the more important point stands that VX and mainline AS are each smaller than 4th-place DL's mainline share (with Skywest in 3rd place) at SFO. So it's not like VX had a particularly big operation at SFO to begin with; they just served a decent number of cities with less frequency and more glitz than AA and DL, which each have essentially hub-only service with a lot of capacity from SFO.

AS+VX are flying as many or more ASMs as they were before the merger, aren't they? Yes, they've reallocated some of the frequency away from SFO-big cities. But they've added 44 new markets across the network in about a year. That is not trivial. It's not like VX was printing money in SFO even with their supposed high value customer base, so I don't really get the rampant talk about how badly AS has mismanaged the supposedly-great VX assets. But to those who still ask the what-did-AS-get-for-their-$2.6 billion question, as always, AS is better off dealing with reallocating the VX capacity than they would be contending with B6+VX.

and where AS's F product is IMO next to useless; WN demonstrates you simply don't need one on an hour flight if you can offer 4/5/6/7 daily frequencies and a non-punitive Y product
​​​​​​​
I wonder if there's a deal to be made for AS with the pilots' union to find a way to make an all-Y 82-seat E175 configuration affordable (ie replace the three rows of F with four of Y, with a slight reduction in seat pitch in the back -- could still be perfectly comfortable) for intra-CA service.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
When I lived in the Bay Area, maybe five or so years ago I had to fly to MSP on business (my one and only visit to the great state of Minnesota so far). I was a UA 1K, and as I recall they had exactly one non-stop each day. I think it was an A319. I just checked and today they (or rather, Skywest) were flying two E175s to MSP. If the big dog in San qqqFrancisco can't offer more non-stop service, it doesn't seem surprising that AS has trouble with that route (and that they didn't put more flights on it to begin with).
The problem is that UA has hubs in useful places. Even if you can’t take/afford the UA nonstops to MSP, SFO-DEN-MSP is reasonable. SFO-SEA-MSP is questionable, and SFO-SEA-IAH or SFO-SEA-ATL are downright absurd.

The bottom line is that AS effectively doesn’t serve half the biggest MSAs (excluding hubs, where it gets service “for free”) and/or half the biggest MSAs east of the Rockies. This makes it a nonstarter for almost all CA-based business travelers. It’s fine if they don’t want to serve that market, but they also don’t cater to price sensitive customers with ULCC fares and service. Is the “leisure enthusiast” crowd really traveling en masse to places like IND, MCI, and RDU? I have my doubts.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by milypan
This makes it a nonstarter for almost CA-based business travelers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fr...p_destinations

AS and VX serve all top ten domestic destinations. That's not a nonstarter. A nonstarter might be something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollyw...p_destinations

But yes, minus DL and AA, reach east of the West Coast is down for sure.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
The problem is that UA has hubs in useful places. Even if you can’t take/afford the UA nonstops to MSP, SFO-DEN-MSP is reasonable. SFO-SEA-MSP is questionable, and SFO-SEA-IAH or SFO-SEA-ATL are downright absurd.
Sure. But you knew that when you, as an SFO based flyer, selected AS as your airline. Or if it was originally VX, you knew about their even more limited route network. None of this is new, and no one here hopefully expected them to turn their presence at SFO overnight into a UA clone.

If i was still living in the Bay Area, i would probably still spend most of my dollars with UA.
ashill and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:57 pm

AS and VX serve all top ten domestic destinations.
Something that technically even United doesn't do (since they don't serve JFK, whereas VX serves both JFK and EWR).

But be careful with those statistics; they represent the first destination of passengers, not O&D traffic, so hubs get artificially inflated. That said, though the numbers are inflated, I expect that for SFO, the top ten destinations for O&D+connecting traffic are pretty similar to the top ten for O&D traffic only. DEN is the most obvious candidate for the numbers to drop significantly when you count only O&D traffic, I would guess. For BUR, I expect that the numbers for hubs (including WN "hubs") are very heavily inflated because there are only so many flights.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:07 pm

AS and VX serve all top ten domestic destinations.
That's actually not true (that they serve the top 10 domestic destinations). They don't serve PHX, which is top 10 from the Bay Area. The reasons PHX is not on that list are:
  1. The list splits one large market into two (JFK and EWR) since it's by airport, not MSA
  2. It doesn't include OAK and SJC traffic (so it misses all the WN traffic to PHX)
  3. Per ashill, it's not O&D
But yes, I concede that if you're a business traveler that only travels west of the Rockies and doesn't care about frequency, then AS can be a viable option. I'm doubtful that describes the majority, or even a significant minority, of CA business travelers. Certainly I could not recommend AS to any of my colleagues with a straight face.
​​​​​
Sure. But you knew that when you, as an SFO based flyer, selected AS as your airline. Or if it was originally VX, you knew about their even more limited route network. None of this is new, and no one here hopefully expected them to turn their presence at SFO overnight into a UA clone.
If i was still living in the Bay Area, i would probably still spend most of my dollars with UA.
To be clear, I never expected them to turn into UA at SFO. It's simply not possible – UA has almost triple the domestic gates of AS+VX combined, plus they have the hubs east of the Rockies that enable service to small cities (which AS used to enable via DL/AA). But I thought that perhaps between SFO + SJC + OAK they might at least provide once daily service to, say, the top 10-15 O&D markets from the Bay Area. It's increasingly clear that won't happen. The problem isn't that their network isn't as good as UA's out of the SFO...it's that I'm not even sure it's as good as DL's. It's just really hard to see who their customer base is going to be from California, and I think that's come across pretty strong in the last couple conference calls too.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Delta is entirely different. They were the country's largest airline at the time. They have an incredible nationwide and worldwide network and a capital structure to support it. Alaska does not. And, if you recall, Delta established its routes and used Alaska as a feeder and it's frequent flyer program for awhile before then deciding to push Alaska aside. BIG differences here.

It didn’t take DL a decade at SEA to have a viable operation. It didn’t take B6 a decade at JFK/FLL/BOS. But you’re saying “time to bail” in what, all of 18 months, with about zero customer facing integration aside from the loyalty program and a couple of paint jobs? (I know about SOC, but that isn’t customer facing.)

Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:16 pm

That's actually not true (that they serve the top 10 domestic destinations). They don't serve PHX, which is top 10 from the Bay Area. The reasons PHX is not on that list are:
  1. The list splits one large market into two (JFK and EWR) since it's by airport, not MSA
  2. It doesn't include OAK and SJC traffic (so it misses all the WN traffic to PHX)
  3. Per ashill, it's not O&D
You may be right, but the readily available statistics for OAK, SJC, and PHX all exclude O&D too. I expect WN has significant connecting traffic at all three of those airports (and AA at PHX), so whatever numbers you have that would put PHX 11th on that list (10th if you combine NYC) inflate Bay Area-Phoenix too. But it's not like the number of fingers we happen to have on our hands is some magical cutoff, of course.

But yes, I concede that if you're a business traveler that only travels west of the Rockies and doesn't care about frequency, then AS can be a viable option. I'm doubtful that describes the majority, or even a significant minority, of CA business travelers. Certainly I could not recommend AS to any of my colleagues with a straight face.
​​​
OK, but did you recommend VX? Because essentially all these issues were there for VX too (except VX was hip and charged loss-making fares, so Bay Area people wanted to fly them).

I think the real difference between AS and VX is that AS has reasonable other places to put the VX planes (the 44 new markets, which certainly have come at the cost of some existing markets), whereas VX just didn't.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Delta is entirely different. They were the country's largest airline at the time. They have an incredible nationwide and worldwide network and a capital structure to support it. Alaska does not. And, if you recall, Delta established its routes and used Alaska as a feeder and it's frequent flyer program for awhile before then deciding to push Alaska aside. BIG differences here.
Yup. And Northwest/Delta built the TPAC focus city then hub before they started going head-to-head domestically with AS. And SEA-touching flights even now can't be more than 10 or 20% of DL's operations; whereas SFO and SEA each account for a far larger share of AS+VX's operations: there's a heck of a lot less risk in building something up when it's a few percent of your operation than when it's 25%.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Yup. And Northwest/Delta built the TPAC focus city then hub before they started going head-to-head domestically with AS. And SEA-touching flights even now can't be more than 10 or 20% of DL's operations; whereas SFO and SEA each account for a far larger share of AS+VX's operations: there's a heck of a lot less risk in building something up when it's a few percent of your operation than when it's 25%.
Seattle is less than 10% of Delta ops, though ATL really distorts the picture.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
You may be right, but the readily available statistics for OAK, SJC, and PHX all exclude O&D too. I expect WN has significant connecting traffic at all three of those airports (and AA at PHX), so whatever numbers you have that would put PHX 11th on that list (10th if you combine NYC) inflate Bay Area-Phoenix too. But it's not like the number of fingers we happen to have on our hands is some magical cutoff, of course.
Pretty sure I’m right. I’m not using the simple pre-tabulated T-100 stats that sometimes get thrown around here (e.g. from the SFO Wiki page above). When we were talking about this same topic ~6 months ago I went and downloaded the DB1B O&D data, which comes from a 10% ticket sample, and wrote some quick code in Stata to aggregate it up to the market (MSA) level. Unfortunately I’m not sure that I kept it around, so all I have at the moment is what I documented in my former posts, but I’m confident that those were accurate.

OK, but did you recommend VX? Because essentially all these issues were there for VX too (except VX was hip and charged loss-making fares, so Bay Area people wanted to fly them).
No, I didn’t. For several years my own plan was to make 1mm on UA and then move as much travel to VX as possible, retaining lifetime Gold status on UA for markets not served by VX. However, the AS/VX merger, combined with the depressing thought of having to travel several hundred thousand more miles on UA, made me jump ship early. It’s too early to judge whether I can make it work, but frankly I’m more concerned at this point that AS seems to have no strategy at all, at least wrt CA. Whether I can make the AS network work is somewhat irrelevant if AS can’t make the business work in CA, period. The only positive is that if AS fails entirely, someone else (presumably B6, DL, or AA) with a better network will come in and use the vacated AS gates to make SFO at least a focus city.
jinglish likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.