Upcoming AS Route Cuts

Old Oct 3, 19, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
SFO<—>IAD comes back to 2x/day in mid Feb, similar to SEA<—>IAD/BWI redeyes
lalala likes this.
Old Oct 4, 19, 12:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
SFO<—>IAD comes back to 2x/day in mid Feb, similar to SEA<—>IAD/BWI redeyes
good to know, but a dealbreaker for our employer, nonetheless.
Old Oct 4, 19, 1:32 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
It's pretty hard for Alaska to compete head to head with United between two of their hub airports. SFO-DCA is probably the only real moneymaker.
Old Oct 4, 19, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by TProphet View Post
It's pretty hard for Alaska to compete head to head with United between two of their hub airports. SFO-DCA is probably the only real moneymaker.
If AS could move this slot to SAN, wonder if they would?

I recall AS once sold DCA-SAN (for a few hours, full Y only) right before the last DCA slot exemptions were offered. This city-pair went to a competitor.

Sad to see the Hawaii routes being trimmed. Trying to fly both of these routes before they depart.
Old Oct 4, 19, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TProphet View Post
If they want to keep at least some of the customer base, they need to keep the real non-money-losers, too, even if the aircraft could currently be deployed on a more money-making route. "Our" new SFO lounge is either going to be sparsely populated, or full of PP passengers.
Old Oct 4, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA Gold , DL Silver, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, National Exec
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
If AS could move this slot to SAN, wonder if they would?

I recall AS once sold DCA-SAN (for a few hours, full Y only) right before the last DCA slot exemptions were offered. This city-pair went to a competitor.

Sad to see the Hawaii routes being trimmed. Trying to fly both of these routes before they depart.
I sure hope so, as this would make life a whole lot easier for me. I have flown AS SAN-BWI this year for the miles promo, and now that the route is offline until May, I'll have to fly UA to IAD. Please make this a reality!
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:41 am

I hadn't noticed this passionate enhancement before, non-stops between PHL and LAX have been cut.

I suppose an 18 hour flight connecting through SEA at a higher cost than alternatives might be attractive to some people. That was sarcasm. For me, this route cut is a sad loss in the total value of being a frequent AS flyer.
jjmadison and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:50 am

Programs: IHG Plat(Ambssdr on occasion), Hyatt Plat, AS Mileage Plan, Rapid Rewards
Also, cutting SJC-SNA which sucks for me. It's almost like they think all the Bay Area airports or LA airports are interchangeable and I can always make due between Metropolitan areas
Old Oct 10, 19, 4:01 am

Programs: AS, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by archstenton View Post
Also, cutting SJC-SNA which sucks for me. It's almost like they think all the Bay Area airports or LA airports are interchangeable and I can always make due between Metropolitan areas
Wow. Goodbye one time shuttle market pre-VX.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Next round of California cuts is out with last flights operating 20 May 2020:

SF0-MSY
LAX-FLL
LAX/SAN-SLC
SMF-OGG

More capacity shifted to SEA to maintain their market share there. I would expect further cuts as the year progresses as the MAX situation looks like it will be dragging on well into 2020. Will be interesting to see if they change their mind and don't return the 8 planes to lessors in 2021 or just decide to keep shifting capacity to SEA and let longer flights from California just continue to wither away.
Old Dec 22, 19, 3:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post

SF0-MSY
LAX-FLL
LAX/SAN-SLC
SMF-OGG

More capacity shifted to SEA to maintain their market share there. I would expect further cuts as the year progresses as the MAX situation looks like it will be dragging on well into 2020. Will be interesting to see if they change their mind and don't return the 8 planes to lessors in 2021 or just decide to keep shifting capacity to SEA and let longer flights from California just continue to wither away.
LAXFLL and MSYSFO are not cut. Temporarily suspended May 20-Oct 7. The rest are permanent.
Old Dec 22, 19, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
LAXFLL and MSYSFO are not cut. Temporarily suspended May 20-Oct 7. The rest are permanent.
They are suspended until they are cut. AS has no permanent schedule this far out. They still don’t even know if any MAX’s will be delivered next year and if so when.
Old Dec 22, 19, 4:09 pm

Programs: All the Programs...

SF0-MSY
LAX-FLL
LAX/SAN-SLC
SMF-OGG

The dropping of LAX and SAN from SLC is disappointing and making it real hard to keep supporting AS here in SLC...
Old Dec 22, 19, 4:17 pm

They are suspended until they are cut. AS has no permanent schedule this far out. They still don’t even know if any MAX’s will be delivered next year and if so when.
AS is selling the flights. You can’t argue they’re cut if they’re selling a schedule.

Of course, any existing flight can be cut. While airlines could also cease to exist tomorrow.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 11:52 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 75k, Bonvoy Titanium
LAX/SAN-SLC
Originally Posted by OO-SLC-CR9 View Post
The dropping of LAX and SAN from SLC is disappointing and making it real hard to keep supporting AS here in SLC...
.... First I lost SAN-DAL, now SAN-SLC?

It's already bad enough FLL-LAX is getting slashed. Between these three pairs that's like 80% of my travel.

Alaska, I really, really, really, want to stay. But you are not making it easy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: