Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming AS Route Cuts

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by ashill

I’ve never seen a press release for a terminated route. Occasionally a press release about new routes will mention what was cut to make room, but often not. And if the flight was cut for an extra SEA-LAX turn, they won’t have a press release at all.
Both SJD and PVR from SNA are gone from 8/7, replaced with two daily SNA-SJC frequencies
Old May 12, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Looks like the redeye LAX-BOS is gone in the fall schedule. I loved that flight (have 3 booked this year), so feeling sad that it's gone. That said, based on BTS data, it looks like AS is losing its shirt on the route, so I can't say I'm too surprised.

All my LAX-BOS tickets are now rerouted via SFO. Hopefully, the SFO-BOS redeye isn't next on the chopping block.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Looks like the redeye LAX-BOS is gone in the fall schedule. I loved that flight (have 3 booked this year), so feeling sad that it's gone.
It's already not on the current schedule - I've flown LAX-BOS a couple times in the past month or so and am probably booking another one for this week or next and haven't seen it listed in the search results in a while.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
All my LAX-BOS tickets are now rerouted via SFO. Hopefully, the SFO-BOS redeye isn't next on the chopping block.
That sounds like a brave routing to attempt during the summer. It’s downright foolish to attempt during the winter.
LAX_BillyJoe likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I would guess that LAX-BOS will be cancelled completely by the end of the year. This is one of their weakest routes. UA used to suspend their service for the winter--at a time with much less competition. As the weakest link, AS will likely just give up that route and move the capacity to another route where they will be more successful.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
That said, based on BTS data, it looks like AS is losing its shirt on the route, so I can't say I'm too surprised.
Is there a way to see load factors on a specific route for each airline or are you limited to seeing total departures and/or arrivals for a particular airport?
Old May 13, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Is there a way to see load factors on a specific route for each airline or are you limited to seeing total departures and/or arrivals for a particular airport?
You can see average fare on a specific route and the high fare airline and low fare airline (with their average fares).
Old May 13, 2019, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by jc1977

Both SJD and PVR from SNA are gone from 8/7, replaced with two daily SNA-SJC frequencies
Where are you seeing the extra SNA-SJC flights? I still only see four after this date.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I guess B6 is outcompeting AS on LAX-BOS. I wonder if B6 is offering the Mint product.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I wonder if B6 is offering the Mint product.
They are
Old May 13, 2019, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I guess B6 is outcompeting AS on LAX-BOS. I wonder if B6 is offering the Mint product.
If B6 were the only problem, then AS could probably hang on. Unfortunately for them DL, UA, AA also have capacity on this route and are offering a premium product. So AS lacks frequency, is unlikely to get F revenue with the weakest product on the route, and has a very limited presence in Boston. With DL now trying to grow BOS, and UA now paying attention to this route when it used to be an afterthought for them, there is just no room for AS anymore from LAX to BOS.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Million Miler Gold, Delta Gold, Alaska/VX Gold, SPG Gold for Life
Bay area strategy (or lack of)

Originally Posted by fly18725
Seattle is less than 10% of Delta ops, though ATL really distorts the picture.
Do you want to know where are the Alaska SFO/LAX flights have gone? PDX! Why would you create another hub 165 miles away from your major one?
I fly coast to coast all the time out of SFO, northeast (BOS, LGA, IAD) in summer and southeast (MCO, FLL, MIA). 3x a year to YOW (painful).
Why so many flights to Hawaii? Didn't Southwest just get into this market?
I'm willing to fly out of SJC or OAK for Alaska if they would offer direct long haul flights.
Pick a bay area airport and commit/grow it, the slow death of VX, no lounge in SFO.
While we're at it, pick a SoCal one too and pull out of LAX.
Be the long haul value carrier Southwest isn't (or was ala Airtran).
I see more of my 2019 business shifting to DL which is sad as I had hoped VX err AS was gonna thrive here. Oh well, good luck with Portland!
Old May 18, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by mailbotx
Do you want to know where are the Alaska SFO/LAX flights have gone? PDX!
Please elaborate. Which routes have recently been added to PDX that moved from SFO/LAX?
jinglish likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AS MVP
Thoughts on LAX-BOS.

This is certainly a bloodbath, but not just for AS, but for everyone else.

You can't be a hub carrier at LAX without flying to BOS. Just can't do it. But BOS is not a huge city and with everyone flying the route because "they have to fly it" the fares have been very depressed for a number of years.

I've been to Boston a couple times in the last two years ... one time I took the daytime AS flight LAX-BOS, and another time, the redeye was not on the scheduled so I flew B6 there, instead.

This is a route where AS makes it really hard to be LAX based and stay loyal to AS. Single daily schedule, and very expensive pricing if you fly a connection through one of the other west coast hubs. Without a mid-con hub to connect over when the single daily flight time doesn't work, Alaska's options are pretty abysmal. I feel like they are "half in" in LAX and I'm not sure how an airline can stay "half in" in LAX when everyone else is "all in."

If it wasn't for BUR-SEA and LAX-PAE, I'd be flying Delta. But I just can't see the bulk of my flying moving to LAX-SEA for every single flight. What a nightmare that would be.
jjmadison likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mailbotx
Do you want to know where are the Alaska SFO/LAX flights have gone? PDX! Why would you create another hub 165 miles away from your major one?!
Because SEA-PDX is a popular route, and AS's network is closer to WN's than DL/UA/AA. Note that WN has DAL/AUS/SAT/HOU all in about a 300 mile circle in Texas and does just fine, as well as OAK/SJC, LAX/SAN/BUR/ONT... all cases where they went ahead to "create another hub 165 miles away from your major one". They, unlike DL/UA/AA, haven't had a bankruptcy.
jinglish likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.