Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming AS Route Cuts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Confirmed via Twitter, MEX is out again as of Nov 7.

Maybe they'll resurrect Denver from anywhere but Seattle. A boy can dream.
rustykettel and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by safari ari
From ANC?
milypan likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by channa
If you want to calculate the true effect, you could list every secondary domestic market that AA serves that AS doesn't.
The ended codeshare routes, yes, since that was required as a condition of the merger. The ending of domestic AA earning & elite benefits could just as well be due to AA not wanting a back door to their then new PQD requirements & spend based RDM earning scheme.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rustykettel
The ended codeshare routes, yes, since that was required as a condition of the merger. The ending of domestic AA earning & elite benefits could just as well be due to AA not wanting a back door to their then new PQD requirements & spend based RDM earning scheme.
AS had already seen changes to AA earnings by that point--down to 25% on the lowest Y buckets. With rates like that, qualifying for status while flying mainly AA would probably be even harder while crediting to AS than with AA.

The only conditions placed on AS and AA for merger approval were the codeshare drawdowns. The loss of elite benefits and domestic earnings was probably due to AA now having a semi-competitor in AS.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by milypan
Yes. That seems to be the strategy they're falling back to, and certainly it's the one that would be dictated by "let's drop the least profitable routes," so I don't see why it would have been a problem. Certainly could have saved them some money. Let B6 duke it out with UA at SFO and the entire US4 at LAX.
What about AS's strategy is returning to being a small PNW airline? As noted, they have about the same capacity and serve more markets out of SFO than VX did. And they certainly have roughly the total operations of pmAS + pmVX, ie they're an appreciably bigger airline than they were before the merger no matter how their assets are deployed.

This has been said many times, but I don't get the complaints about AS's ex-SFO network in comparison to VX's network. VX's ex-SFO network was fairly weak, and so is AS's. They've moved assets around a bit, but neither pmVX nor present AS were/are capable of being all things to SFO-based travellers who fly to a variety of places. That's not necessarily an unviable position, but it certainly is a challenge. But unless you specifically rely on one of the handful of markets that AS has dropped (DEN, FLL, and CUN, according to @AS Flyer above), I don't how anyone could claim that AS's network is appreciably worse than VX's.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by jinglish
AS had already seen changes to AA earnings by that point--down to 25% on the lowest Y buckets. With rates like that, qualifying for status while flying mainly AA would probably be even harder while crediting to AS than with AA.
That was due entirely to AA switching to a revenue-based frequent flyer program; they weren't going to let people earn far more miles by crediting AA flights to AS. What AS could have done (but didn't) was retain 100% EQMs on all AA fares, as AA did for their own flights, or at least the 50% earning that AA now has for all partner-marketed discounted (even slightly) economy tickets. But that had nothing to do with the merger, although that's kind of irrelevant to the customer: either way, you're absolutely right that the value of AA as a partner plummeted for that reason alone for many customers, including me.

The only conditions placed on AS and AA for merger approval were the codeshare drawdowns. The loss of elite benefits and domestic earnings was probably due to AA now having a semi-competitor in AS.
I fully agree.
jinglish likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Have they fully pulled out of the station? Not quite sure how to salvage my holiday flights to LIM at this point... originally they yanked SAN-MEX, so had to move to LAX-MEX. Now I don't see how I can get to MEX on an AS award to catch my LAN flight.

Anybody have any luck getting AS to combine two partners in one award ticket when they pull service? Seems like the only option, but it's not like AA has any space over the holidays anyway.
Good luck. I booked a MEX/SCL for December (8 months ago) figuring SFO/MEX would eventually open, or then SFO/LAX/MEX. Now I'm rather escrewed with my MEX/SCL award unless LAX/SCL opens. Yay.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by beckoa
Maybe AS will contact LA and see if they will open space to fly from the US-LIM?
I think it will be A321neos. They do have more range, more capabilities, and more fuel-efficient, as well. If they fly LAX-LIM nonstop by operated 737-MAX9 or A321neos.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Good luck. I booked a MEX/SCL for December (8 months ago) figuring SFO/MEX would eventually open, or then SFO/LAX/MEX. Now I'm rather escrewed with my MEX/SCL award unless LAX/SCL opens. Yay.
I’m in the same boat on one of my records. Managed to get the US-MEX flights for the rest of the family, but I am currently starting in MEX. I’m not holding much out hope for space on LAX/LIM and will probably just suck it up and buy a revenue ticket. Ouch. So much for my 331-day advance planning.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by safari ari
I would guess DEN to MAD with a stop in MEX...LOL..Don't see anything from DEN--too much competition everywhere for a carrier which can't even make SFO-DEN work.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by ashill
This has been said many times, but I don't get the complaints about AS's ex-SFO network in comparison to VX's network. VX's ex-SFO network was fairly weak, and so is AS's...I don't how anyone could claim that AS's network is appreciably worse than VX's.
I’ve never claimed that VX had a better network than the current AS one, or that it even had a good network at all. Is there anyone here that is claiming that?

VX arguably had a more differentiated product, but the differentiation was not on the network axis (at least, not positively).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I have to wonder though - you say you've moved on and don't use Alaska any longer - why are you here? What keeps you coming back here? You don't even want to fly on Alaska. You don't like the product.
Precisely because I am based in San Francisco and care about the competitive environment at my home airport. I lived through a very long time when UA was the only game in town and it was quite difficult to avoid them. It wasn't long ago that there was no B6/VX or even WN at SFO. F9 was the only alternative carrier from SFO to LAX before VX came along. Having a disruptive carrier in the name of VX come in totally changed the competitive landscape at SFO bringing in MUCH lower fares and way better breadth of service, a much broader network, and lay flat seats at a much more reasonable price to multiple markets which never had them.

AS is not terrible by any means and I never said I would never fly them. The majority of time they either don't go where I want to go or offer a product that is substantially better than the multiple other offerings that are out there. I would like nothing better than having a large competitive force at SFO offering a substantially better product but sadly that has not happened with AS and seems very unlikely to happen in the near future.

Rather than being in denial and constantly trying to prove how in some random market AS offers the best service, it may be wise to listen to people that are actually from the areas that AS is struggling to be competitive and profitable in rather than pretending everything is peachy. The drag in profitability from California is also impacting their traditional strongholds like in PDX so it is not like the negative impacts of California don't reverberate through the rest of the company. I hope they turn things around but management seems to still be in very deep denial at this point as are many AS fans.
channa and FlyingBear like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
I would guess DEN to MAD with a stop in MEX...LOL.
Can you say, 797 launch partner right there.....
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I'm LAX based (live & work closer to BUR).

Born and raised in Seattle, I go up for a visit every 8-10 weeks. Much prefer flying BUR-SEA than LAX-SEA.

With the VX purchase I thought, great, I can just fly Alaska everywhere from LAX (or with a quick one stop in SFO).

Sadly though, the frequencies just aren't enough from either. I'd like to go to Boston on a Wednesday night after work on a red eye so I can be there first thing Thursday morning in October. The LAX-BOS red-eye is gone which means I have to connect in SFO or SEA. The only connecting flight LAX-SFO leaves at 1630. That's an awful early departure when you're planning on taking the redeye. Might as well just take the whole day off and fly non-stop first thing in the morning.

Have to friends I'd like to see this fall in Chicago. We're down to a single daily LAX-ORD.

MEX bites the dust, again.

Etc, Etc, Etc.

If it wasn't for that one BUR-SEA flight, I'd be over to Delta.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Precisely because I am based in San Francisco and care about the competitive environment at my home airport. I lived through a very long time when UA was the only game in town and it was quite difficult to avoid them. It wasn't long ago that there was no B6/VX or even WN at SFO. F9 was the only alternative carrier from SFO to LAX before VX came along. Having a disruptive carrier in the name of VX come in totally changed the competitive landscape at SFO bringing in MUCH lower fares and way better breadth of service, a much broader network, and lay flat seats at a much more reasonable price to multiple markets which never had them.

AS is not terrible by any means and I never said I would never fly them. The majority of time they either don't go where I want to go or offer a product that is substantially better than the multiple other offerings that are out there. I would like nothing better than having a large competitive force at SFO offering a substantially better product but sadly that has not happened with AS and seems very unlikely to happen in the near future.

Rather than being in denial and constantly trying to prove how in some random market AS offers the best service, it may be wise to listen to people that are actually from the areas that AS is struggling to be competitive and profitable in rather than pretending everything is peachy. The drag in profitability from California is also impacting their traditional strongholds like in PDX so it is not like the negative impacts of California don't reverberate through the rest of the company. I hope they turn things around but management seems to still be in very deep denial at this point as are many AS fans.
AS isn't going to go to lie flat seats or 7-8 flights a day from SFO-JFK/BOS/FLL - beyond that, what exactly should Alaska do? They're competitive in the majority of transcon markets. So yeah, "listen to the people from those areas" - what else is there to learn from them? That's your biggest gripe? Is AS not competitive to RDU, MCO, BNA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.