Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming AS Route Cuts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Boeing?
For the aircraft type, replacing/augmenting the Airbus or Q400 on those routes.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mehdron
USA Today article: "Alaska Airlines ending several California routes"
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...tes/480677002/
Another article on the AS cutbacks in California.

https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginni...a-12736805.php
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Skyjumper
Another article on the AS cutbacks in California.

https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginni...a-12736805.php
Dated Saturday, March 10, 2018, though.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by tphuang
Edited: now SFO-MEX is gone completely. LAX-MEX gets the second daily back.
Was looking for this flight today but it's gone. I liked the times but the flight itself sucked. Bad food in F, pretty surly FA's, often late.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Was looking for this flight today but it's gone. I liked the times but the flight itself sucked. Bad food in F, pretty surly FA's, often late.
Well, being in SFO does wonders for schedules.

Food has recently been westcoastafied. I don't really like the new LAX schedules myself, as the early flight leaves too early to connect from SEA/PDX or ANC [when the nonstop isn't running].
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
1 JFK-LAX-JFK flight was finally removed from the schedule as was 1 JFK-SFO-JFK flight. First flight now leaves LAX at 1042AM with a big gap between 1PM and 825PM on the return from JFK. First flight of the day leaves SFO 909AM and last flight returns from JFK at 456PM as of 6 July.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
1 JFK-LAX-JFK flight was finally removed from the schedule as was 1 JFK-SFO-JFK flight. First flight now leaves LAX at 1042AM with a big gap between 1PM and 825PM on the return from JFK. First flight of the day leaves SFO 909AM and last flight returns from JFK at 456PM as of 6 July.
This is a big ouch. Of course, they'll offer me EWR for an earlier flight, where I really don't want to go. And they'll offer me EWR for a later flight home, and I'll ask about that new lounge they've just built at JFK for my pre-departure comfort.
Between SFO delays and NYC delays, I want to get out of here early (next trip is at 615a) as to not arrive NYC at bedtime.

They're making it so you can't reliably get to JFK and have a decent chance of making a dinner reservation the same day.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:47 pm

It seems to me that schedule wise, and overall, AS is adopting more of the WN LCC look and moving farther away from the style of the legacy carriers.

They are far less concerned about timings or competing on routes, and they certainly aren’t adopting a strategy of “what makes sense for business travelers” (I’ll admit I’m biased, killing off DEN-SFO).

A fast devaluation of first class and food, stripping out all amenities on ex-VX aircraft, just to name a few...it’s all in line with the WN approach: sit back, shut up, and we’ll have you there in a couple of hours in a more comfortable fashion than F9 or NK (and yes, WN too). It’s certainly not an approach that’s going to win back or win over new corporate customers, but it keeps costs down to an extent.

Theyve lost my business, but I must admit, in such a competitive environment, it seems smarter of them to take that approach than try and become the 4th legacy carrier.

LAX and SFO to NYC were VXs bread and butter, it says a lot that those are already headed in a vastly different direction under AS.
ashill likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Well AS is developing a lounge in JFK.... and is rumored to have a lounge sometime in SFO. ^
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa
Well AS is developing a lounge in JFK.... and is rumored to have a lounge sometime in SFO. ^
Yes, maybe this will be the profit strategy - to always have room for PP members.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Yes, maybe this will be the profit strategy - to always have room for PP members.
They may be better off just forgetting about JFK all together at this point and just renting out the lounge. They might actually make more money for far lower cost
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
might be old news, but IAD-SFO down to 1x daily
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
might be old news, but IAD-SFO down to 1x daily
I know they already announced a decrease from 3x to 2x daily. A further cut to 1x daily would be disappointing. For what dates are you seeing this?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:28 am

SEA-IAH downgraded to 737-800 from -900 starting in the third quarter. Hopefully not a sign of greater cuts on that route.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
I know they already announced a decrease from 3x to 2x daily. A further cut to 1x daily would be disappointing. For what dates are you seeing this?
tomorrow and forward

only 1 evening departure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.