Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming AS Route Cuts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Well, a quibble: PDX (6689k AS+QX passengers, so neglecting VX) is, I think, a significantly larger station for AS/VX than SFO (neither AS nor VX alone are even in the top 5 [!], so each has less than DL's 3480k. Even if you charitably assume that AS [including QX] and VX each have 3479k, SFO is not appreciably bigger than PDX for AS+VX).

SFO is ASVX's third-largest station, and FLL is B6's third-largest station. So if B6 ex-FLL is comparable to ASVX ex-SFO, that's fair!

And of course AS absolutely dominates Alaska (the state); that's the only place where either AS or B6 are (or ever will be) truly dominant.
I would actually say AS dominates SEA also. And that's unlikely to change given the current gate count situation. AS in SEA/PDX hasn't faced any kind of situation like SFO/LAX, which explains why it's experiencing so much trouble with these new assets.

Yeah. B6 certainly isn't a replacement for a full network legacy carrier either, and VX sure as hell wasn't. The question is whether AS (or B6) can carve out a useful niche. ASVX can be all things to a good number of Alaska-, SEA- or PDX-based mainly-domestic fliers, and they can be all things to a fairly small number of mainly-domestic Bay Area-based fliers. (Because the Bay Area is a big and wealthy place -- like NYC -- being all things to even a small fraction of Bay Area fliers is not nothing, and really not bad for the fourth-biggest domestic airline at SFO and I would guess the fifth-biggest in the Bay Area.) But I think what FlyerTalkers really miss is that you don't have to be all things to anybody. Most travellers (including business travellers) are not FlyerTalkers: they fly multiple airlines. The fact that AS can't get them to DEN doesn't mean they won't fly AS to ORD or SEA or HNL or wherever AS does fly. And the fact that AS doesn't fly to PHX in May doesn't mean they won't fly AS to PHX in March. And even people who can't/don't fly AS all the time may still like them and pay a (small) premium to fly them when they're an option -- I certainly do. The challenge is can AS's brand (good service, fair fees, doing small things well) translate to the Bay Area and replace VX's brand (glitzy service, fancy mood lighting, and whatever else VX fans like), and whether AS can maintain the good and reliable service part of their brand (since they're certainly having some struggles with that now, though I don't think irreparable struggles).

BOS hasn't consistently had flatbeds at all until B6 brought them in very recently. And the fact that transcontinental flatbeds are $400 doesn't speak well for their profitability.

BOS is one of the most competitive markets in the country precisely because it didn't have a dominant legacy that had turf to defend. It's big enough so it will always (like SFO) have robust service on all the network carriers and still have room for more. And of course each of the networks carriers has their strengths out of BOS. But there was no one carrier that had the strength or the muscle in BOS to a) care that B6 was building up enough to mount a strong response or b) have the scale to mount a strong response.
I think AS and B6 in terms of current network coverage is quite comparable. In terms of revenue and cost are also quite comparable. So while AS cannot get larger size than UA, there is no reason why it can't be sucessful and profitable in the bay area given its cost profile.

Think about this, DL operates 2 to 3 times as many flights as B6 in NYC and same with UA (if you count EWR). Yet, B6 has the highest margin in NYC. So having less gate than incumbent should not prevent AS (who has enough gates at SFO/SJC) from mounting a formidable challenge on UA. That could be as a leisure carrier with great coverage N-S or could be something else. There is potential there if AS makes the right moves.

Now even if we ignore the case of BOS, I think FLL is also a good case to look at. Again, AA controls the higher yielding airport with an established network and international partner, whereas B6 started with nothing in 2001 and didn't focus on FLL until last few years. This is another case of a slow build up until FLL is actually becoming a really profitable hub that has revenue edge over other FLL competitors like WN/NK. B6 at FLL will not overtake AA due to disadvantage in the number of available gates, the # of international partners and the national network, but it has managed to put serious dent on AA profitability at MIA especially with mint. There is simply no example of B6 adding a whole slew of routes at FLL and then cutting them back 6 months later. While UA is dominant at SFO, it has I think under 50% in market share while having to battle WN strength at OAK/SJC for bay area traffic. That's not so different from south florida where AA has over 70% market share at MIA and both WN/NK run very strong operations at FLL.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by tphuang
I would actually say AS dominates SEA also. And that's unlikely to change given the current gate count situation.
AS+QX (excluding VX) are 50.1% of the total traffic at SEA, so they're hardly dominant. Delta mainline is 15.2%, compared to 10.5% in 2010. (That excludes Delta Connection because DL has multiple operators and is thus harder to count. I wouldn't be surprised if Delta Connection is a fair fraction of the 22% that is "Other",) And Delta at least claims to have more revenue than AS out of SEA (which strikes me as plausible because they of course have the intercontinental flights that AS doesn't).

(Incidentally, AS+QX were 51.1% of the SEA traffic in 2010, 52.5% in 2012, and 50.1% (excluding Skywest Alaska flights) in 2017; the Delta build-up has been new growth and at the expense of other airlines, not at the expense of AS.)

B6 has 31% at BOS, 37% at JFK, and 23% at FL; AS+QX has 37% at PDX. As I noted above, AS and VX don't individually make the top 5 at SFO; 5th place is DL at 8.5%, so AS+VX are no more than 17% at SFO.

(These are departure statistics, which include connecting traffic, not O&D, so AS and DL's O&D market shares at SEA are lower because of connecting traffic.)

ETA: As noted below, these are domestic statistics only. So ASVX and B6's shares at all of these airports are probably smaller than the numbers quoted here. But at the same time, domestic traffic is by and large the market they're competing in.

Last edited by ashill; Mar 26, 2018 at 6:07 pm Reason: correct error
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by fly18725
Why is there a comparison at all? AS is not B6 and the west coast is not the east coast.
Because pushmyredbutton argued above that, from a network perspective, AS is analogous to B6 (but on the opposite coast). My point is that we should be so lucky.

Well, a quibble: PDX (6689k AS+QX passengers, so neglecting VX) is, I think, a significantly larger station for AS/VX than SFO (neither AS nor VX alone are even in the top 5 [!], so each has less than DL's 3480k. Even if you charitably assume that AS [including QX] and VX each have 3479k, SFO is not appreciably bigger than PDX for AS+VX).
Yeah, it's very close. In the merger announcement slide deck AS claimed that the merger would immediately give them 16% share at SFO, which would imply 6,544k during 2017. Of course, they presumably didn't plan to abandon quite as much of the VX network as they have. In general though I use ex-SFO as shorthand for ex-SF Bay Area, so in that sense it would be more accurate for me to list SFO + SJC (+ OAK) as No. 2, which would clearly dominate PDX. From a network perspective that would be a bit disingenuous if the SJC routes just duplicated the SFO routes, but in fact almost half (7 of 15) of the non-hub destinations out of SJC are not served from SFO (though BUR is of course the same market as LAX).

Yeah. B6 certainly isn't a replacement for a full network legacy carrier either, and VX sure as hell wasn't. The question is whether AS (or B6) can carve out a useful niche...But I think what FlyerTalkers really miss is that you don't have to be all things to anybody. Most travellers (including business travellers) are not FlyerTalkers: they fly multiple airlines. The fact that AS can't get them to DEN doesn't mean they won't fly AS to ORD or SEA or HNL or wherever AS does fly...And even people who can't/don't fly AS all the time may still like them and pay a (small) premium to fly them when they're an option -- I certainly do.
I have serious doubts about whether a sufficient number of people in CA will pay even a small premium to fly AS. VX wasn't making that much money, and it was better differentiated than AS is (at least here in CA).

But the bigger question is why pay $2.6b for VX if this is the strategy? We've always defended the purchase on the basis that at least AS kept B6 from getting it. But if you completely abandon competing on the basis of network, as AS is doing in CA, then why do you care if B6 establishes a new base in SFO? What's yet another big network competitor if you're not competing on network anyway? Just buy some new aircraft, deploy them on whatever routes around the country you can find that make any financial sense, and hope that you can charge a small premium. That seems to be what they're doing now anyway, except seemingly they paid $2.6b to do it and got almost nothing in return (not even ownership of aircraft).
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
AS+QX (excluding VX) are 50.1% of the total traffic at SEA, so they're hardly dominant.
Wait, I'm confused, what's our definition of "dominant"? 50% of total traffic sounds like a lot to me.

It's not "dominant" like WN is at MDW, HOU, or DAL (96%, 93%, and 92%), but those are all secondary airports, and in each case WN is competing against one or more big network carriers with huge footprints at the relevant primary airports (ORD, IAH, and DFW).

Is there another case of a top-15 MSA in which a single airline carries a majority of the traffic?

Edit: Answering my own question, ATL for sure (duh), and most likely DTW too (after factoring in DL Connection). But as far as I can see, that's it. If you went down to top-20 you'd also get MSP...apparently nobody does dominance like DL!

Last edited by milypan; Mar 26, 2018 at 5:18 pm Reason: Updated info
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:19 pm

B6 has 31% at BOS, 37% at SFO, and 23% at FL; AS+QX has 37% at PDX. As I noted above, AS and VX don't individually make the top 5 at SFO; 5th place is DL at 8.5%, so AS+VX are no more than 17% at SFO.

(These are departure statistics, which include connecting traffic, not O&D, so AS and DL's O&D market shares at SEA are lower because of connecting traffic.)
JFK you mean?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
As I noted above, AS and VX don't individually make the top 5 at SFO; 5th place is DL at 8.5%, so AS+VX are no more than 17% at SFO.
You're referencing BTS data (https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.asp?pn=1&Airport=SFO&Airport_Name=San%20F rancisco,%20CA:%20San%20Francisco%20International& carrier=FACTS) which:
1) Only looks at domestic traffic
2) Doesn't break out SkyWest into the flying they do for UA, DL, or AS

Sort of an odd stat to pick to try to make your point... but even at 17% they would be the clear #2 carrier.

AS+QX (excluding VX) are 50.1% of the total traffic at SEA, so they're hardly dominant. Delta mainline is 15.2%, compared to 10.5% in 2010. (That excludes Delta Connection because DL has multiple operators and is thus harder to count. I wouldn't be surprised if Delta Connection is a fair fraction of the 22% that is "Other",) And Delta at least claims to have more revenue than AS out of SEA (which strikes me as plausible because they of course have the intercontinental flights that AS doesn't).

(Incidentally, AS+QX were 51.1% of the SEA traffic in 2010, 52.5% in 2012, and 50.1% (excluding Skywest Alaska flights) in 2017; the Delta build-up has been new growth and at the expense of other airlines, not at the expense of AS.)

B6 has 31% at BOS, 37% at SFO, and 23% at FL; AS+QX has 37% at PDX. As I noted above, AS and VX don't individually make the top 5 at SFO; 5th place is DL at 8.5%, so AS+VX are no more than 17% at SFO.

These are also all domestic-only statistics and are mainline only. Makes them pretty useless IMO.

Last edited by bmvaughn; Mar 26, 2018 at 5:31 pm
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:52 pm

I haven't posted here in a very long time but there seems to be a fair amount of misinformation and selective facts being tossed around and it's driving me nuts. So much hand wringing about a merger that is just starting to take shape. There's mention of AS abandoning a bunch of VX routes. Simply put, that isn't happening to the extent being implied here. Post merger, AS added a slew of new routes from SFO. Many of them are still around. The routes that have been cut were not going to be profitable. AS decided to cut their losses rather than continue to throw money into the fire. A few of those were ex-VX routes. DEN, CUN and FLL are those that come to mind, while some routes have been pared back slightly (BOS, ORD). The other routes cut were routes added post merger (MSP, MEX). In terms of total destinations and departures, the schedule at SFO for AS/VX is more robust now than it was pre-merger. Service that didn't exist from SFO on VX/AS before this merger include MCI, KOA, RDU, PHL, IND, BWI, BNA, MSY, MCO and SNA, with additional frequency to AUS. That's an additional 10 cities currently flown from SFO that neither VX nor AS were flying at the time of the merger. There will continue to be refinements made to the schedule because AS is not going to fly routes that are not making money in the same way that VX was willing to. AS is not going to compete with Mint - people that want to spend upwards of $1000 round trip (and that varies wildly, going significantly higher in many cases) for a flat bed are probably going to be happier on B6. That's not the market AS is going after, regardless of whether anyone here thinks that's the key to success.

BOS vs SFO - who cares? B6 is operating on the east coast and AS is operating on the west coast. Two different geographical regions. There are so many more large cities east of the Mississippi that are within a much easier reach from any east coast city than from the west coast - the resources required to fly from BOS to ORD are significantly less than those required to fly from anywhere along the west coast to ORD. It's obviously going to be easier for an airline based along the east coast to expand more quickly as the resources required to do so aren't as great. One airplane can fly BOS-ORD round trip twice in just about the same amount of time as one 737 from SFO-ORD. My point is that there are many more opportunities to expand east of the Mississippi for an airline with hubs in JFK/BOS/MCO/FLL than for an airline with hubs in SEA/SFO/PDX/LAX. B6 grew quickly, jumping into voids that the larger airlines neglected to fill. AS has been fighting WN and UA along the west coast long before B6 was ever around. B6 jumped into JFK and BOS and took what they wanted because it was there for the taking. I think, in time, someone is going to revisit this thread and point out the irony in it after B6 and AS get together - but that's just my thought.

VX was never an airline someone flew because they took them anywhere they want to go because their network was extremely limited. AS is not going to be that airline either - but they ARE growing. Some people from SFO will fly them because they are going where they want to go and others will not - but the market from the bay area is great enough that I think AS will find their niche - even if it's not the same niche that VX was going after. SFO is far from a failure vv. AS, and this is only the beginning. Look for more routes and schedule enhancements in time and, without doubt, there may be some reductions in certain markets. It doesn't mean AS is throwing in the towel or failing miserably.
bmvaughn, ashill and CalanMan like this.

Last edited by AS Flyer; Mar 26, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
Wait, I'm confused, what's our definition of "dominant"? 50% of total traffic sounds like a lot to me.
Certainly not a precise term, I agree; you and I have both defined our terms with percentages, which are considerably less subjective. I generally use "dominant" to describe fortress hubs, where one airline is around 70 or 80% or more of the traffic, because that's a materially different level of dominance than an airport where the hub airline is around 50% (like AS at SEA or UA at SFO, but B6 nowhere).

It's not "dominant" like WN is at MDW, HOU, or DAL (96%, 93%, and 92%), but those are all secondary airports, and in each case WN is competing against one or more big network carriers with huge footprints at the relevant primary airports (ORD, IAH, and DFW).

Is there another case of a top-15 MSA in which a single airline carries a majority of the traffic?

Edit: Answering my own question, ATL for sure (duh), and most likely DTW too (after factoring in DL Connection). But as far as I can see, that's it. If you went down to top-20 you'd also get MSP...apparently nobody does dominance like DL!
Dallas (DAL is enough smaller than DFW that AA+Mesa+Envoy are 66% of the DFW+DAL traffic) is close (to my definition of dominant ). I agree that there aren't many very large cities where any carrier is truly dominant. But DL and AA each have at least two airports where they are truly dominant (although CLT is a relatively-small city) and WN has 5 (including OAK and BWI); neither AS nor B6 are ever likely to be in that position in even a top-30 MSA (unless you count LGB).

I guess my real point is that B6 and AS, no matter where they set up, will never be so dominant that they can be all things to most people in a given city. The question is how they structure their route network to be profitable. Is it worthwhile to throw money at a city to try to be able to be all things to a good number of people even if the routes are individually unprofitable? VX management didn't have a better option than to do that at SFO, so they did that. AS management has other feasible options than to fly money-losing flights at SFO (like SFO-DEN) at the risk of losing traffic on, say, SFO-SEA to people who fly one airline for everything. I don't know whether that will be a viable strategy in the long term. I also don't know whether throwing $2.6bn at VX will have been money down the drain. But, from my uninformed armchair CEO position, I'm less doom-and-gloomy on the strategy than many in this thread.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
But the bigger question is why pay $2.6b for VX if this is the strategy? We've always defended the purchase on the basis that at least AS kept B6 from getting it. But if you completely abandon competing on the basis of network, as AS is doing in CA, then why do you care if B6 establishes a new base in SFO? What's yet another big network competitor if you're not competing on network anyway? Just buy some new aircraft, deploy them on whatever routes around the country you can find that make any financial sense, and hope that you can charge a small premium. That seems to be what they're doing now anyway, except seemingly they paid $2.6b to do it and got almost nothing in return (not even ownership of aircraft).
This seems like the appropriate analysis at this point in time. To the extent AS has made any decisions about what to do about VX, it's mostly been cutting routes and throwing everything else that came with the airline in the trash, while B6 continues to organically expand Mint and offer a significantly superior product on transcons. Buying a competitor to kill it doesn't help much if you still have other larger competitors out there who will undercut you or be able to provide superior service because they're unburdened by a $2.6 billion expenditure.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
JFK you mean?
Oops; corrected.

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
You're referencing BTS data (https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airpor...&carrier=FACTS) which:
1) Only looks at domestic traffic
2) Doesn't break out SkyWest into the flying they do for UA, DL, or AS

Sort of an odd stat to pick to try to make your point... but even at 17% they would be the clear #2 carrier.

These are also all domestic-only statistics and are mainline only. Makes them pretty useless IMO.
I did add in QX, which is easy to incorporate and also makes AS look stronger (because it's not so easy to incorporate regional affiliates for the others). That and the fact that these are domestic only just makes my point -- that ASVX isn't the dominant carrier anywhere, and certainly not at SFO -- stronger.

I agree that it's a very incomplete statistic; it's the most easily-available one.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:05 pm

This seems like the appropriate analysis at this point in time. To the extent AS has made any decisions about what to do about VX, it's mostly been cutting routes and throwing everything else that came with the airline in the trash.
Wrong - they are getting rid of the things that didn't make sense AND, as I've pointed out, AS has double the number of new destinations on the schedule now from SFO than those cut, with two being cut that were added post merger and three that were previously operated by VX. AS is also refining the product because, as many have pointed out on other threads, the VX product was ground breaking when it rolled out and getting long in the tooth as their sun set. They have chosen to not follow Jet Blue down the flat bed path - they are not going to be everything to everybody - just as B6 isn't.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Wrong - they are getting rid of the things that didn't make sense AND, as I've pointed out, AS has double the number of new destinations on the schedule now from SFO than those cut, with two being cut that were added post merger and three that were previously operated by VX. AS is also refining the product because, as many have pointed out on other threads, the VX product was ground breaking when it rolled out and getting long in the tooth as their sun set. They have chosen to not follow Jet Blue down the flat bed path - they are not going to be everything to everybody - just as B6 isn't.
And the result of those additions and subtractions is an airline that is losing money now. Any “refinement” of the product could have been done without purchasing VX.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:20 pm

And the result of those additions and subtractions is an airline that is losing money now. Any “refinement” of the product could have been done without purchasing VX.
Alaska isn’t “losing money”, and certainly not as a result of additions or subtractions primarily, if at all. You’re guessing that based on what? Chatter here? Speculation is that, because of some one time charges associated with the merger, they may post a loss in the first quarter. Year end, I’m willing to bet, will be a much different result.

As has already been pointed out, allowing B6 to gain the kind of foothold in SFO and LAX that VX would have given them would have meant far worse things for AS. AS would have been the next buyout if they hadn’t made the decision to buy VX. Maybe they overpaid but what’s the difference between overpaying for an entire airline or running routes at a loss to maintain a dominant position in a market - both are business decisions meant to secure the airlines future.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:04 pm

I haven't posted here in a very long time but there seems to be a fair amount of misinformation and selective facts being tossed around and it's driving me nuts. So much hand wringing about a merger that is just starting to take shape. There's mention of AS abandoning a bunch of VX routes. Simply put, that isn't happening to the extent being implied here. Post merger, AS added a slew of new routes from SFO. Many of them are still around. The routes that have been cut were not going to be profitable. AS decided to cut their losses rather than continue to throw money into the fire. A few of those were ex-VX routes. DEN, CUN and FLL are those that come to mind, while some routes have been pared back slightly (BOS, ORD). The other routes cut were routes added post merger (MSP, MEX). In terms of total destinations and departures, the schedule at SFO for AS/VX is more robust now than it was pre-merger. Service that didn't exist from SFO on VX/AS before this merger include MCI, KOA, RDU, PHL, IND, BWI, BNA, MSY, MCO and SNA, with additional frequency to AUS. That's an additional 10 cities currently flown from SFO that neither VX nor AS were flying at the time of the merger. There will continue to be refinements made to the schedule because AS is not going to fly routes that are not making money in the same way that VX was willing to. AS is not going to compete with Mint - people that want to spend upwards of $1000 round trip (and that varies wildly, going significantly higher in many cases) for a flat bed are probably going to be happier on B6. That's not the market AS is going after, regardless of whether anyone here thinks that's the key to success.
That last statement shows you have not been really following the transcon markets where B6 is consistently priced around where AS is prices its F at (outside of BOS-SEA, where AS prices a lot higher). It's no wonder when looking at BOS-SAN, AS's first class cabin is constantly half empty a couple of days out even though MVPG can purchase f for the same cost as f for over a week.

As for the cuts, the issue is that they came so soon after expansion when they realized things are harder than expected. How often do you see DL give up on a route or WN or B6?

BOS vs SFO - who cares? B6 is operating on the east coast and AS is operating on the west coast. Two different geographical regions. There are so many more large cities east of the Mississippi that are within a much easier reach from any east coast city than from the west coast - the resources required to fly from BOS to ORD are significantly less than those required to fly from anywhere along the west coast to ORD. It's obviously going to be easier for an airline based along the east coast to expand more quickly as the resources required to do so aren't as great. One airplane can fly BOS-ORD round trip twice in just about the same amount of time as one 737 from SFO-ORD. My point is that there are many more opportunities to expand east of the Mississippi for an airline with hubs in JFK/BOS/MCO/FLL than for an airline with hubs in SEA/SFO/PDX/LAX. B6 grew quickly, jumping into voids that the larger airlines neglected to fill. AS has been fighting WN and UA along the west coast long before B6 was ever around. B6 jumped into JFK and BOS and took what they wanted because it was there for the taking. I think, in time, someone is going to revisit this thread and point out the irony in it after B6 and AS get together - but that's just my thought.

VX was never an airline someone flew because they took them anywhere they want to go because their network was extremely limited. AS is not going to be that airline either - but they ARE growing. Some people from SFO will fly them because they are going where they want to go and others will not - but the market from the bay area is great enough that I think AS will find their niche - even if it's not the same niche that VX was going after. SFO is far from a failure vv. AS, and this is only the beginning. Look for more routes and schedule enhancements in time and, without doubt, there may be some reductions in certain markets. It doesn't mean AS is throwing in the towel or failing miserably.
AS has plenty of time on its hand and gate space, but it needs to show that it can develop a profitable strategy. Right now, transcon, intra-cali and legacy hubs are all bloodbath for AS and they have cut back on transcon and legacy hub routes. It takes time and money to build a hub. Everyone knows that. It doesn't seem like AS strategy is too great at the moment.

Alaska isn’t “losing money”, and certainly not as a result of additions or subtractions primarily, if at all. You’re guessing that based on what? Chatter here? Speculation is that, because of some one time charges associated with the merger, they may post a loss in the first quarter. Year end, I’m willing to bet, will be a much different result.
it's really hard to loose money in US airlines industry these days. AS has seen its revenue go down for past 3 quarters when everyone and there mother is gaining. How is that not a problem?
jjmadison likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:28 pm

As has already been pointed out, allowing B6 to gain the kind of foothold in SFO and LAX that VX would have given them would have meant far worse things for AS. AS would have been the next buyout if they hadn’t made the decision to buy VX. Maybe they overpaid but what’s the difference between overpaying for an entire airline or running routes at a loss to maintain a dominant position in a market - both are business decisions meant to secure the airlines future.
Compared to $184 mil in profit in Q1 2016 and $99 mil in profit last year, it's a little troubling. It's symptomatic of their current struggles, not a disaster in and of itself.

Whether or not it's been pointed out already, it's not obvious that allowing B6 to win the bidding for VX would have meant "far worse things" for AS. That's what we're debating now. Maybe it would have but I'm growing more skeptical of this idea as time goes forward and it becomes more obvious AS is just making this up as they go, with no great plan for what to do with their $2.6 billion purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.