Wiki Posts
Search

Turn on the Dark!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPG
Turn on the Dark!

On 2/11 I flew Ord to Sea, flight 21. We took off about 7:45 pm. After the meal service, I like to nap, but this time, the cabin lights seemed really bright. I wasn't the only one to notice, as the passenger next to me called the FA and asked her to turn down the lights. She replied that the lighting is computer controlled and was set on 'evening'. Is this something new? I know there must be a darker setting; when is it typically used?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
AS 21 is one of my regular flights. It has never been too bright, so it sounds like your flight was the outlier.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
The worst are the early morning departures where it's dark and the FAs turn the lights on "extreme bright" after the 10k foot ding. It's one thing to make the cabin blue, but I've had them turn the lights to that bright white setting, or if it's a non BSI plane, they turn them all on. The ones that leave the plane mostly dark are my favorites.

And FWIW, they can control the brightness of the BSI lights as well as the color from both the front panel and rear panel.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

VX is good about limiting the light. IMHO, a darker plane is a quieter plane.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Its always too dark to me. I'm trying not to fall asleep on a westbound evening flight.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:15 pm

Last month I asked them to turn off a very bright light coming from the galley and they happily did it (this was LAX - Seattle midnight flight so everyone was trying to sleep). I guess it depends.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
I have flown several red-eye flights in the last few weeks. On these flights and also with late evening transcons they have been leaving the blue mood lights on for the entire flight. I find it very annoying and miss a dark cabin.
lalala likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
I have flown several red-eye flights in the last few weeks. On these flights and also with late evening transcons they have been leaving the blue mood lights on for the entire flight. I find it very annoying and miss a dark cabin.
Not as bad as the dark red cabin on a VX daytime flight.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPG
So maybe my experience wasn’t an outlier. Guess I’ll have to find one of my old amenity kits and dig out the eye mask.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
In my experience, F/A cabin lighting choices are just as varied as the lighting preferences of passengers.
Some like it dark, some like it bright, depending on their own mood and body clock.
Imagine my horror this week when a Delta crew turned the cabin to FULL intensity, BLUE light!
My retinas have yet to recover!
I usually find the Alaska cabins to be pretty chill, but once in a while you find an F/A that wants to go Full Hospital Mode.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I got them to turn the blue light special lights OFF on my last HNL-SEA red eye. I detest the new blue mood lighting - it’s awful

Last edited by lalala; Feb 18, 2018 at 2:21 pm
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:23 am

I have had the exact same thing happen on two overnight ANC-PDX flights. Both times I sent feedback to aslistens, but no reply. It used to be much easier to sleep
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by beaver
I have had the exact same thing happen on two overnight ANC-PDX flights. Both times I sent feedback to aslistens, but no reply. It used to be much easier to sleep
keep on keeping on - one day they'll listen to us.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:22 pm

Please also note on my TH's last SEA-BWI flight that left at 10 am, they left the blue lights on and asked the pax to lower the window shades so that pax could sleep. This flight leaves SEA at 10 am give or take a few.
CREN likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've had mixed results on redeye/late night flights. SEA-AUS was a dark cabin last Monday however ^ still was annoyed I left my eye shade.

Another source of annoyance is the galley squawk. I did say something, and think it helped. Passed back out after that.

Originally Posted by lalala
Please also note on my TH's last SEA-BWI flight that left at 10 am, they left the blue lights on and asked the pax to lower the window shades so that pax could sleep. This flight leaves SEA at 10 am give or take a few.
On a nice daytime flight I'd be leaving mine open to plane watch from above

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.