Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
Alaska has disallowed new bookings or changes to bookings to intra-Asia award tickets less than 72 hours before departure on Cathay Pacific (CX), Japan Airlines (JL), and Hainan Airlines (HU) due to fraudulent bookings.

Initially (late January 2018 for HU; February 13, 2018 or so for CX and JL), this prohibition applied to all award bookings on these partners. On February 14, 2018, Alaska changed the rule to apply only to intra-Asia awards.

https://blog.wandr.me/2018/02/alaska...t-mileageplan/
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...artner-awards/
Print Wikipost

AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Wouldn't it be better to combat the fraud rather than just remove the service for everyone?
If the fraud is material, the first step is to stop the fraud, then analyze the process for possible remedy.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:18 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi missydarlin -

It is not about conspiracy theory. it is about transparency.

When any company makes a major change that affects their customer base (and this would certainly qualify), You need to get out in front of the issue. You have some bad news affecting MP members, you need to tell it all, tell it fast, be blindingly transparent. I would have thought the AS corporate office would have learned this with the QX pilot staffing fiasco. By not being open and transparent about the operational issues, the conspiracy theories were allowed to flourish, I suspect to the detriment of the airline in all sorts of ways.

The reality is that conspiracy theories, office politics, cliques, haves vs have nots -- they all get a chance to flourish when transparency is lacking.
I guess I wouldn't put this in the same category as QX pilot staffing (but I honestly don't know much about that topic)

Yes, this affected MP members. But in reality it affects very very few MP members. (you just all happen to be on FT )
On the surface, instead of 331 days to book an award, you have 328 days on 3 of the 15 partners.
Most MP members are redeeming miles for flights on Alaska. And most of the members who do redeem for partner awards are not continually monitoring availability and adjusting their reservations at the last minute.
The Hainan rules were changed a few weeks ago, and **crickets**, so I really don't think anyone expected that this was going to garner the public outcry that it did.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:20 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Per Twitter - this policy will be lifted for flights departing North American by EOD
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:20 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Sorry I am unfamiliar. Is Missydarlin someone with inside knowledge?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by TA
Is this where I finally get to say DYKWIA?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TA
​​​​​ Yes, an Alaska employee at headquarters.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by TA
​​​​​​​missydarlin is an AS employee who, not sure if it's part of her job or not, has been very generous in answering question and issues that crop up.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by dayone
If the fraud is material, the first step is to stop the fraud, then analyze the process for possible remedy.
Sounds reasonable. We don't know what financial hit Alaska has taken here nor have the details on the fraud been shared. I don't expect that to change as it will just encourage others, perhaps with different partners or even different airline alliances/carriers to commit the same fraud elsewhere.

I'm willing to give Alaska some time to sort this out and come up with a workaround, perhaps including waivers for Alaska elites versus those that drop miles into their Alaska accounts without ever setting foot on an Alaska aircraft. Looking forward to an update down the line.

Tom in the air between BWI and SFO
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
^
worldtraveller73 and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by jinglish
And host, for what seems like a good decade, of the now-retired Seattle Do. Many of us here have chatted with her in person over the years and know she loves working for Alaska.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Have we learned about if this also affects changing awards (i.e. changing from J -> F on same flight, or changing flights/dates), or only new bookings? I assume the former but you never know with AS.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Have we learned about if this also affects changing awards (i.e. changing from J -> F on same flight, or changing flights/dates), or only new bookings? I assume the former but you never know with AS.
All shopping and booking is inhibited within 3 days of the flight. But as posted a little earlier, this will only affect intra-Asia travel starting sometime tonight or tomorrow.
lalala and worldtraveller73 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Phew - they revised the policy to make it just the case for intra-Asia awards. What a relief!

Alaska Revises 72 Hour Restriction On Partner Awards - One Mile at a Time
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:21 pm

HI Missydarlin -

What I am referring to is not comparing the QX staffing to the TPAC award restrictions; rather, it is how AS management chooses to disseminate the information to AS stakeholders. Instead offering about it on some blog site, come out and say why this action is being taken, and how this action will address the issues you are facing.

Again, openness and transparency in communicating with all the stakeholders will go a long ways towards dealing with any ruffled feathers people might have.

As an aside --- Try this with the upgrade processor. What are the issues, what are the hurdles, explain why it is not as important as other IT issues (like issues with VX, for instance).

Another example --- The delays and issues with the SEA expansion.

I could go on - but you get the point.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Enough with throwing around the "transparency" buzzword. Customers are entitled to a clear explanation of the change and how it will be implemented. They are not entitled to know the specifics of the underlying issues that necessitated the change, or the details of the decision-making process that developed the change. AS can share as much or as little as it chooses.

This is especially true for fraud, security and competitive matters.
Calculon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.