Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
Alaska has disallowed new bookings or changes to bookings to intra-Asia award tickets less than 72 hours before departure on Cathay Pacific (CX), Japan Airlines (JL), and Hainan Airlines (HU) due to fraudulent bookings.

Initially (late January 2018 for HU; February 13, 2018 or so for CX and JL), this prohibition applied to all award bookings on these partners. On February 14, 2018, Alaska changed the rule to apply only to intra-Asia awards.

https://blog.wandr.me/2018/02/alaska...t-mileageplan/
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...artner-awards/
Print Wikipost

AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:21 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Is there interest / capability among those here to organize some response to AS and point out the unintended consequences of putting in this change, and how many people are unhappy about it? Point out that there are better ways to implement what they're trying to fix?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
How is fraud even possible within T-3 when YOU HAVE TO CALL ALASKA TO BOOK CX AWARDS?????? Are the call centers that dumb to implement some kind of security and or add a pin to accounts?
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by KL808
How is fraud even possible within T-3 when YOU HAVE TO CALL ALASKA TO BOOK CX AWARDS?????? Are the call centers that dumb to implement some kind of security and or add a pin to accounts?
Seemingly so. AS has already shown its disdain for its members on more than one occasion. This is no different : just look at one of their reply-tweets where they were concerned not with the info but the provenance of the info. They over-and-over again sneak changes into their FFP without any prior warning, they announce parnerships that many, many months later have no award-charts/bookings (AY & SQ). In short, they are so focused on beating Delta that they are copying the worst of Delta's FFP habits
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
We don't know why AS is even putting this in.

Fraud? What type of fraud? Identify theft? Bartering miles?

Or perhaps it's plain old cost cutting in the form of limiting redemption outside of AS since CX opening up award space last minute is almost a sure thing.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:47 pm

Honestly fraud by phone call is very easy - whenever I call (my phone isn't linked), I put in my Alaska mileage plan number and the agent just asks for my name (that's it). And then I've often booked miles flights for my SO who has a completely different name. Alaska should really enforce some sort of phone-pin.

So technically, anyone who knows my mileage number and my name can book on my behalf.

Same is true for someone who can hack and log into my account actually and books stuff - in that case its probably even worse because you can change the email to send the trip confirmation to.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I may be making a very incorrect assumption here, but most of the posters that are the most upset about this are located in areas that are not even AS markets, or even in North America. If one isn’t even flying AS and merely using them as a means to buy/transfer/credit miles solely to use on premium cabin redemptions, how are they valuable customers to AS? I, for one, wish there was some way to stop his kind of thing.

And before you jump down my throat saying you are using the program within the rules, I get it. I just wish AS didn’t make it so easy for someone on the other side of the world who has never flown, and has no intention to ever fly AS, to open an account, buy or transfer in a bunch of miles and book CX F. Either for themselves or to sell. JMHO.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:57 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by CDKing
HU looks to be included too even though AS tweet denies. Look at PEK-SZX and PEK-PVG. no awards prior to the 16th even every day after has space as well.
I dont think they denied it so much as left it out. The HU has been in place for a few weeks, whereas CX and JL were just added.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Sure. Remove SPG (and I guess Diner's Club) as a transfer partner. Boom, fraud from people dumping shedloads of SPG into AS accounts to do fraudulent ticketing by reselling award tickets goes away. Forever. You get to accrue on AS by flying the airline and using the BofA or Canadian credit card (which presumably isn't going to have a bunch of Chinese fraudsters selling tickets since BofA has Know Your Customer regulations to follow, and I'd imagine the same is tru on the Canadian side).

What, you didn't like that more intelligent solution?
Do you think this is an anti-fraud measure? I would have guessed AS having problems with real time award inventory on select partners. AS issues an award ticket and then the partner messages back within 24 hours that they won't honor the ticket.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:11 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Finkface
I may be making a very incorrect assumption here, but most of the posters that are the most upset about this are located in areas that are not even AS markets, or even in North America. If one isn’t even flying AS and merely using them as a means to buy/transfer/credit miles solely to use on premium cabin redemptions, how are they valuable customers to AS? I, for one, wish there was some way to stop his kind of thing.....
What are you talking about? One of the key stated (and aspirational) benefits of the program is for legitimate Alaska members to redeem miles for premium cabin travel on partners. If they are now withdrawing the ability for members to do that (because certain inventory only practically becomes available close-in), how is that mostly affecting your "undesireable" members overseas?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Do you think this is an anti-fraud measure? I would have guessed AS having problems with real time award inventory on select partners. AS issues an award ticket and then the partner messages back within 24 hours that they won't honor the ticket.
Given that BA did the exact same thing to CX and JL awards last year (stopped close in redemptions and they use Amadeus and get real time inventory)...
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
dumb explanation. just admit that CX wants to protect T-72 inventory for MP members or something. I will continue to store my AS miles balance in booked reservations until DL style 72 hr forfeiture rule will be added
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:56 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
These guys (frequent flier program administrators) can't help themselves. If this is true it's a terrible change.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I don't redeem on any of those carriers, but if they do this on AA or BA, I'm going to be really pissed. My guess is that many get comped to 75K or Gold from other carriers, transfer a crap ton of points from SPG or buy a ton because they can and make it crappy for the rest of us. Alaska should require a few things --- a. four flown segments on Alaska metal to keep status for the following year, like AA used to do b. require a close in booking fee for some of these elusive awards (even I would go for that) c. stop making everyone and their mothers 75K and Golds because they think they'll jump ship

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm okay with that.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:10 pm

If fraud is truly the reason for this most unfriendly and unwelcome change , then there was a much easier and pro customer way of accomplishing fraud prevention. Simply require that any redemption within 3 days of travel on CX or JL MUST include the account holder as a traveler . No splitting of PNR within the 3 day window and if the account holder cancels then all travelers on the PNR are cancelled.
lalala likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Disappointing. I've done optimization within T-3 before. Wasn't easy, but was able to get the ideal routing.
For those with a history of booking CX/JL in premium cabins, I'd like a reconsideration. Especially with existing reservations.

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 13, 2018 at 5:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.