Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU)

Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
Alaska has disallowed new bookings or changes to bookings to intra-Asia award tickets less than 72 hours before departure on Cathay Pacific (CX), Japan Airlines (JL), and Hainan Airlines (HU) due to fraudulent bookings.

Initially (late January 2018 for HU; February 13, 2018 or so for CX and JL), this prohibition applied to all award bookings on these partners. On February 14, 2018, Alaska changed the rule to apply only to intra-Asia awards.

https://blog.wandr.me/2018/02/alaska...t-mileageplan/
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...artner-awards/
Print Wikipost

AS Limiting Award Bookings T-3 Days of Departure [Intra Asia Only] (CX, JL, HU)

Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Now this is even more confusing. So the "fraud" was limited to intra-asia awards?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by seawolf
Now this is even more confusing. So the "fraud" was limited to intra-asia awards?
More likely, most prevalent.
golfingboy likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Thats by far the biggest source of fraud for most airlines. More consumers in Asia buy more tickets from brokers or aggregators, which facilitate larger scale fraud. In the US, with most tickets bought from airlines or travel portals, fraud tends to be isolated and one-off.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Is LAX to BKK intra Asia by virtue of changing planes in HKG?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Brianblanco
Is LAX to BKK intra Asia by virtue of changing planes in HKG?
No because the award starts or ends in a different region. They are only referring to the asia to asia chart. That is North America to Asia.
Brianblanco likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thank you to everyone who was involved in facilitating this revision to the new policy.
VegasGambler and DrAlex like this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:52 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by beckoa
Thank you to everyone who was involved in facilitating this revision to the new policy.
Bravo to all!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by missydarlin
The Hainan rules were changed a few weeks ago, and **crickets**, so I really don't think anyone expected that this was going to garner the public outcry that it did.
Well, in my case the explanation of *crickets* with Hainan is because in over a year of trying over 20 award bookings on Hainan, every single one fails! I am not even sure it is possible to use Alaska miles to book Hainan awards, its like a ghost.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by whimike

Well, in my case the explanation of *crickets* with Hainan is because in over a year of trying over 20 award bookings on Hainan, every single one fails! I am not even sure it is possible to use Alaska miles to book Hainan awards, its like a ghost.
Yes i did fly HU award recently back in November. Though I've only done a China to China award.

Last edited by CDKing; Feb 16, 2018 at 3:15 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:53 pm

Intra Asia is not a surprise. I have friends in Hong Kong that exclusively book through agents who sell them tickets booked into reward buckets.

He has not been able to earn miles on tickets in a long time
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:52 am

Anyone know if I have an existing booking flying JAL by redeeming AS miles, and I have 2 segments for my flights (on different dates), if I want to cancel the second segment, will the 72-hour rule disallow me to cancel the second segment; and if yes, does the 72 hours count from the first segment or the second segment?

Thanksss!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ma930407
Anyone know if I have an existing booking flying JAL by redeeming AS miles, and I have 2 segments for my flights (on different dates), if I want to cancel the second segment, will the 72-hour rule disallow me to cancel the second segment; and if yes, does the 72 hours count from the first segment or the second segment?

Thanksss!
Guessing its 72 hours from the segment being flown... but its only a hunch.

I'd give AS a call and ask them. Someone should have an answer ^
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:22 pm
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Does anyone have any recent experience if this is still the case? I called up today and they said it should be fine to make the changes within 72 hours. I'm not confident about the information.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by richh1833
Does anyone have any recent experience if this is still the case? I called up today and they said it should be fine to make the changes within 72 hours. I'm not confident about the information.
Chart still lists the 72 hour rule. Note that this is intra-Asia only.

Cathay Pacific, Hainan, and Japan Airlines award flights must be booked at least 72 hours before the departure time
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:08 pm

Hi -

My understanding is that the restrictions applied to changes and/or new bookings within 72 hours of departure, most likely to make it hard for ticket brokers to sell awards.

My guess is that if you want to outright cancel an award, they might find a way to make that one-off happen, especially if you do not have a track record of doing that often.

Last edited by Orwaid; Dec 28, 2018 at 8:06 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.