Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KOA checkin meltdown

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Angry KOA checkin meltdown

Just boarded AS872 for SEA and checkin was a zoo.

Not only were there two departures within 1:10 of each other, the computers were on the fritz. Agents had stacks of manual bag tags, and my final was written in on the printed bag tag with sharpie. The flight was listed.

Lines everywhere, but agents were proactive in getting pax prioritized by flight (ie SEA flight first). Not fun for those going to PDX at 1 however.
Any other stations with computer problems today?

We did push back early, despite all the fun.

Oh, and not having pre-check print was very frustrating as well. Rest of my flights printed fine, as did others on my PNR.

Mahalo.
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Dang that does sound like a zoo
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
KOA is a terrible airport by Hawaiian standards. Too hot, no a/c, no jetbridges. Cigarette smoke wafting into the bathrooms from the employee smoking area. Too small to handle the traffic. The worst of the four major Hawaiian airports.
Carfield likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Dang, I flew out of there 15 years ago and thought it was pretty chill. I'll be there - on Alaska - in 3 weeks.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
So, to recap, computers failed and the only real inconvenience was the fact that you didn't get precheck (and you didn't check in via mobile why?) and the flight left early? Color me confused I guess.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:42 pm

Location: I have resided many places, but only ever lived in San Francisco.
Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
KOA is a terrible airport by Hawaiian standards. Too hot, no a/c, no jetbridges. Cigarette smoke wafting into the bathrooms from the employee smoking area. Too small to handle the traffic. The worst of the four major Hawaiian airports.
So true. 15-20 years ago the airport was charming. A single 777 a day from SFO, lots of HA 717s and the occasional nonstop to Japan. Nowadays, it’s so poorly run and so overcrowded and unpleasant, we no longer visit the island of Hawaii. Any relaxation or good feelings you had about your trip are quickly wilted away under the sweltering heat, second hand smoke, endless lines, out of service electronics (the WiFi that the airlines use isn’t powerful enough to reach the boarding gates often, resulting in slow manual processing), and the sad “snack bar”.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
So, to recap, computers failed and the only real inconvenience was the fact that you didn't get precheck (and you didn't check in via mobile why?) and the flight left early? Color me confused I guess.
I was wondering if anyone was experiencing issues that day. Unfortunately for me, I was unable to perform OLCI as it's limited to 4 segments.

Not having pre when expecting it is difficult. TSA requesting *all food* removed from bags, having to remove belt, shoes, stuff in pockets, etc... and opting out of the magical device. However this is drifting o/t and best for the TSS forum.

KOA is a blast from the past- heck even ITO has jetways. But there is concrete being poured, so imagine something is happening
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Some people don't appreciate crowds and messes and people pushing and shoving.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by s0ssos
As much as I hate people and a lot of people in one place at one time, I didn't see the part in the OP's post about pushing and shoving.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
So if I OLCI via mobile the day before my flight, it sounds like I should be able to avoid most of the "fun" the OP had at KOA, right?

I'll arrive at the airport, go through Precheck, wait outside for a bit (hopefully in the shade), and then have to board the airplane via stairs...is that really it?

My itin is 2 segments, back to the U.S., any reason OLCI wouldn't work for me?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
The OP said nothing about pushing and shoving! When you go to an airport, you generally expect lines, crowds, and waits. It was a bit of a hassle, but the agents did the right thing (prioritizing the first flight's pax) and the flight left EARLY. Other than a little inconvenience, there is nothing to see here.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by formeraa
The OP said nothing about pushing and shoving! When you go to an airport, you generally expect lines, crowds, and waits. It was a bit of a hassle, but the agents did the right thing (prioritizing the first flight's pax) and the flight left EARLY. Other than a little inconvenience, there is nothing to see here.
Well it's up to you whether you consider what the OP experienced "a little inconvenience." I would consider it a significant inconvenience arising from a problem within Alaska's control.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
When you go to an airport, you generally expect lines, crowds, and waits.
It depends. There's a "normal" functioning Precheck queue, that involves spending 5 minutes on security theater. There's the wait associated with simply being at your gate early - that is, we all don't attempt to arrive at our gate exactly when boarding starts, leaving no time for *any* delay. There's a few minutes spent checking a bag, if you have to do that...

If 1 or 2 of those things is unnecessarily long because of an airline's poor technology or processes, then yes - I'd be rather annoyed. Although to be honest, it sounds like the technology failed but the on-site backup process was okay, as I'm assuming the bags did indeed make it to the final destination. (Otherwise OP would have certainly mentioned it.)

I haven't been to KOA in so long that I'm having a hard time imagining being a zoo on the order of LaGuardia during any kind of weather (where "weather" could mean "it's cloudy").
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
We were at KOA a week and a half ago during the noon rush. The airport is built for simpler times. I enjoyed it as a one-time thing but I wouldn't want to transit through here with any regularity.

With the new Saddle Road completed, I am surprised that expansion at ITO hasn't been considered. It's about an hour longer to the Kohala coast, but it would serve many more locals and take some of the traffic out of KOA.
lalala likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP 75K
I was there during the missile threat false alarm and they made everyone leave the terminal and get re-screened by TSA. Quite a mess, and they gave the neighbor island HA flight priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.