Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Split reservation - Able to get preferred seating?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP

I think I know the answer here, but thought it was worth asking FT.

I bought my wife and I separate tickets so that we could both use a $50 fare recovery code. As a MVP, I was able to choose an aisle seat. My wife who does not have status, was not able to. After purchasing the tickets, I linked the reservation online. I called Alaska to ask if we could both be seated together in the exit row and was told no.

Is this a case that I should HUCA or did I screw everything up by booking our tickets separately? Is it possible to get both tickets on the same PNR now? Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
You could try to HUCA and find a sympathetic agent, but I believe they are no longer joining PNRs to allow for preferred seating/upgrades unless booked on the same reservation from the start.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by altadoc
I think I know the answer here, but thought it was worth asking FT.

I bought my wife and I separate tickets so that we could both use a $50 fare recovery code. As a MVP, I was able to choose an aisle seat. My wife who does not have status, was not able to. After purchasing the tickets, I linked the reservation online. I called Alaska to ask if we could both be seated together in the exit row and was told no.

Is this a case that I should HUCA or did I screw everything up by booking our tickets separately? Is it possible to get both tickets on the same PNR now? Thanks!
I asked a very similar question in the 2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old! thread recently and my result was that the phone agent at the MVP line made a one time exception since we were paying using different methods (myself: money + discount code for a cancelled flight, GF: miles) and the flight overall was very full in regards to seats that could be selected by non-elites. While I had wanted us to be seated next to each other in the exit row, we ended up in the row immediately in front and since an exception was being made, I didn't push to have us placed in the exit row.

However, having the tickets on the same PNR actually does nothing in helping you select seats next to each other, as explained on FT and by the phone agent. The agent confirmed that what she did for me was not standard policy, so it seems like HUCA and hope for the best. Good luck.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I had tried a general search but hadn't delved into that particular thread. I figured I was SOL, but worth double checking with this forum.

Thanks again. I'll try pleading my case one more time and see how it goes.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Tip in the future, book OW travel, so you can use one code per direction. Otherwise this is no longer policy
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I recently ran into the same problem. I ended up upgrading my wife's ticket to Premium Class so I could get us seated together. Depending on the length of the flight that may or may not be an economical choice.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by captobie
I recently ran into the same problem. I ended up upgrading my wife's ticket to Premium Class so I could get us seated together. Depending on the length of the flight that may or may not be an economical choice.
that is exactly what we ended up doing. its a transcontinental flight so i thought it was worth it for better legroom and the ability to sit together.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
I would always try and ask by calling
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Related question:
Has anyone experienced or have been aware of family members that were booked on separate tickets such that one family member switched with another between coach and first for the entire flight? For example - say the OP had been upgraded to F and his wife was still in Y, and he decided to switch with her so she could enjoy F. Would an FA not allow this, or is this done often enough that FA's don't care? I read here and there about people switching, but didn't know how often or regularly-occurring this may be. My question assumes that the switch occurs at boarding, not mid-flight. The only obvious difference is 'Jane' is sitting where John should be or vice versa (thinking about when FA's greet F passengers by name, and greeting MVPG's in coach to offer a beverage). Any problems with this?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Done all the time. Switch the BP after boarding. Give the FA a heads up. Don't be moving between the cabins. The pax in Y may even get brownie points with the crew in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.