FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Arrived early but gate occupied (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1892738-arrived-early-but-gate-occupied.html)

makfan Feb 9, 2018 12:30 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 29391275)
Actually I was flying a QX E-jet and we were headed into Terminal 2. The gate was full so we parked over between the Delta terminal and the International Terminal. There were two buses waiting for us and they took us directly to terminal 2. Super quick and efficient and it was cool driving out on the ramp near all the wide bodies!!

There are three remote stands at the terminal 1 construction area. The first time I landed here we boarded old city (Muni) buses, complete with stairs and no luggage space. The subsequent times we boarded rather nice shuttles with mostly standing space and they do a pretty decent job of getting you back to terminal 2. They also use a ramp so no stairs getting on or off the aircraft. The thing I don’t like when arriving at the temporary T2 gate is everyone jams up waiting for the smallish elevator, making it hard to get around then to use the stairs.

If your gate is 59B or C it will be a remote stand with bus.

T2A Feb 9, 2018 10:09 am

The gate being occupied in an annoyance, but what really drives me crazy is when ground support equipment is blocking the gate. Hmmm maybe we shouldn't park that baggage cart right in the planes path.

seahawks10177 Feb 9, 2018 11:41 am

Originally Posted by T2A (Post 29398466)
The gate being occupied in an annoyance, but what really drives me crazy is when ground support equipment is blocking the gate. Hmmm maybe we shouldn't park that baggage cart right in the planes path.

Then having to wait 15-20 minutes for them to move it :(

MonThruThurs Feb 9, 2018 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by T2A (Post 29398466)

This is a legacy carrier regional thing, not AS.

tusphotog Feb 10, 2018 12:46 am

The one that always gets me is landing at 1245a in Phoenix and having a gate occupied. This is a recent occurrence when there are three overnight planes. Not sure what the ramp crew was doing the night I waited 30 minutes after landing late.

seahawks10177 Feb 10, 2018 9:04 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 29400672)
The one that always gets me is landing at 1245a in Phoenix and having a gate occupied. This is a recent occurrence when there are three overnight planes. Not sure what the ramp crew was doing the night I waited 30 minutes after landing late.

damn that late and still waiting? I would be pissed

captobie Feb 10, 2018 9:38 am

A couple of weeks ago I was on a BLI-SEA flight that made two complete circumnavigations of the N terminal waiting for our gate to open.

formeraa Feb 10, 2018 11:35 am

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson (Post 29392029)
A slightly different problem with the late-evening arrival of the SEA-DCA flight (AS 2) when it arrives early e.g. 915 pm instead of 940 or 10 pm. It is the ONLY late-night flight at that time in that terminal (security to the terminal is long closed), and we have to sit and wait and wait and wait for the GA to arrive and operate the jetbridge. Since it's the only arrival/departure in that terminal at that time, it is not as if the GA is handling another flight, right?

I've never understood why AS, once it realizes that this particular flight will be early, doesn't send a message or automated call to the ground staff to alert them to be at the gate a half-hour earlier than scheduled.

For example, I just looked up AS 2 for tonight, and it is scheduled to arrive early at 9:17 instead of 9:41 pm. What are the odds that the ground staff will be ready inside the jetway by 9:15 at the latest?!

Please write to AS customer service about this and let them know. If the flights are still arriving "on-time", AS may not be paying attention to long waits on the ground.

formeraa Feb 10, 2018 11:48 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 29400672)

Did you check to see when the other flights had arrived? Perhaps the ground crew was trying to get the luggage from the prior flight to the claim (because of the 20 minute guarantee). Frankly, I haven't been overly impressed with PHX's operation whem multiple flights are leaving/arriving. The ground crew seems unable to handle the situation properly, if there are any delays or early/late arriving flights. It seems like they are staffed to handle exactly one flight at a time.

AndyPatterson Feb 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa (Post 29402053)
Please write to AS customer service about this and let them know. If the flights are still arriving "on-time", AS may not be paying attention to long waits on the ground.

I should know this, but what's the best email address to use for that purpose? "Ask Jenn" is still on the website, but I don't think that has any value...

aviatorzz Feb 11, 2018 9:39 am

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs (Post 29400136)
This is a legacy carrier regional thing, not AS.

I respectfully disagree. There have been countless times in the last couple of years while taxiing into a gate in SEA where we were about halfway in and a sudden slam on the brakes. Captain comes on and says "Sorry folks, there is some ground equipment in the way. Just a few moments before we continue the rest of the way in, please stay seated, blah blah". SEA and LAX seems to be the worst with this with AS, and I equate it to being that there isn't enough room on that ramp to allow for everything to fit, especially on the interior of the C/D gates and, back before AA took over D10/11, that area as well. That fence looked too close for comfort on the D10/11 area as we taxied in or were being pushed.

pcoll Feb 11, 2018 10:07 am

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson (Post 29403037)
I should know this, but what's the best email address to use for that purpose? "Ask Jenn" is still on the website, but I don't think that has any value...

I use this...
Alaskaair.com/feedback/general-comments

CDKing Feb 11, 2018 4:53 pm

We had to wait a while today in BOS. It took nearly an hour from landing to get to a gate. Had to wait for VX or AS flight to push, AS metal did but then held up for deicing. After that we were close and the slowest ground crew i had ever seen has to push back a B6 flight. Plane went what seemed like 1 mph and took them 7 min just to disconnect the tug Though i think the B6 ground people are in an intentional work slow down and were on strike earlier this week.

akdancer Feb 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Sis the really the schedulers?

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs (Post 29392552)
The captain of my flight a couple of weeks ago called out the schedulers! Only time I've seen that happen.

We had this kind of comment recently from captain as we waited for a gate at BOS. Then, because he knew it would be a long wait, he turned off the seatbelt sign & let pax use the toilets. Very helpful!

But is it really the schedulers who are most to blame? Maybe their higher-ups who have to squeeze x flights into x-1 gates? Anyway, as one post said, you would have been happy if flight was on time & gate was open. Annoying to wait, but we'd had our say.

CDKing Feb 26, 2018 6:05 pm

Just witnessed another one at BOS. Waiting for the flight to SEA, I saw the VX plane on the taxi way, had to be there a good 30-45 min. Ill have to try to find the flight number and see the actual time.

*EDIT*
VX/AS 1352 SFO-BOS landed about an hour early. Taxi time listed as 39 min per flight aware