SEA to BOS

Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

SEA to BOS

Good afternoon all. I'm travelling from Ireland soon to Seattle and I am returning via Boston and I can see that two Airlines dominate this route; Alaska and Delta and I'm wondering what you guys would recommend between these two cities?

On the dates in question the two Airlines seem to have similar prices although Delta are quoting on a basic economy price which I don't mind as I will have a lack of baggage and no particular need to have a pre booked seat.

I noticed delta have IFE screens behind each seat which I would prefer although I will be taking my tablet so if the Alaska offering is generally better I don't mind no IFE screen.

What do you guys think? and is it true that the Delta comfort plus offering is a waste of time?

thanks!!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Peadar
Good afternoon all. I'm travelling from Ireland soon to Seattle and I am returning via Boston and I can see that two Airlines dominate this route; Alaska and Delta and I'm wondering what you guys would recommend between these two cities?

On the dates in question the two Airlines seem to have similar prices although Delta are quoting on a basic economy price which I don't mind as I will have a lack of baggage and no particular need to have a pre booked seat.

I noticed delta have IFE screens behind each seat which I would prefer although I will be taking my tablet so if the Alaska offering is generally better I don't mind no IFE screen.

What do you guys think? and is it true that the Delta comfort plus offering is a waste of time?

thanks!!
Just Alaska and Delta? JetBlue offers two daily flights SEA-BOS, and they have arguably the best economy product of the three.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
Just Alaska and Delta? JetBlue offers two daily flights SEA-BOS, and they have arguably the best economy product of the three.
Yeah honestly I would go with Jetblue as well if you are looking for best product on economy.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Peadar

thanks!!
you should go for JetBlue if prices are comparable. The best economy product domestically and no basic economy.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by seahawks10177
Yeah honestly I would go with Jetblue as well if you are looking for best product on economy.
or business class, for that matter.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
or business class, for that matter.
Exactly. On some days Mint is only $399 on jetBlue. JetBlue is the price and product leader for this route as of 15 February when Mint starts.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Exactly. On some days Mint is only $399 on jetBlue. JetBlue is the price and product leader for this route as of 15 February when Mint starts.
Mint is the best product! I love it
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks lads. I just checked out JetBlue and the offering looks quite frankly astonishing! However the flight times do not quite suit on the day that I want to leave and I will probably have two children with me so I think we will be better in coach!

unfortunately it's either Delta or Alaska for us😦
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i would book whichever one is more convenient for the time you need, and has an overall lower fee structure for the product you want. you mention you are traveling with children -- if that is true, you should definitely consider avoiding the DL basic economy product because of the risk of having to argue to get the kids seated with you/together depending on their ages. i'd guess if they are little kids they would seat you together, but if they're like 10 or 12 years old, DL might not be obligated to do that...i'm really not sure as i don't have kids and i don't fly BE.

i'm not sure if SEA-BOS is included, but keep in mind that DL did recently re-introduce complimentary meals in coach on some trans-con flights. i haven't had one of these new free meals yet so i cannot speak to quality. AS will have buy on board items which are of good quality and can be reserved in advance on the AS mobile app.

in my opinion, some extra legroom on these flights is nice especially on the longer westbound flight, so i might be tempted to pay for C+ or premium if the cost was reasonable. but main cabin is survivable, people do it every day, and the kids are not likely to appreciate the difference in legroom as much as you would.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:41 pm

I'd still do JetBlue in coach.
You're gonna be significantly comfier over the nearly 6 hour journey. If you're traveling with kids on the A321 you've got a fridge in the middle of the plane with snacks/drinks you can grab. Plus free WiFi, way roomier seats in coach, better buy-on-board food, and free entertainment. Not to mention, JetBlue's economy offering on this route is -better- than Delta Comfort+ and Alaska "Premium." (Pretty much the same legroom and a full inch wider on the seats.)

Alaska is a decent way to fly with your own tablet. The terminal situation at Boston is pretty bad for departures but convenient for arrivals.
As for Delta, I don't know how you'd travel with 3 kids and only a personal item and no seat assignment but you do you.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd consider not having to sit beside the two kids a big plus!

Do they really split up families with kids on basic economy? Not getting to pick your seat is one thing, but they could still keep you together.

Edit (emphasis mine):
With Basic Economy, you will not receive a seat assignment until after check-in or at the gate. Passengers traveling together, including families, may not be seated together. You will not be eligible for same-day changes or any other ticket changes or refunds after the Risk Free Cancellation Period. You will board in the last zone and not be eligible for paid or complimentary upgrades or preferred seats, even with Medallion® Status. Also, checked baggage fees will apply, even when traveling internationally.
I guess that answers that question...
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by bkojote
Not to mention, JetBlue's economy offering on this route is -better- than Delta Comfort+ and Alaska "Premium." (Pretty much the same legroom and a full inch wider on the seats.)
According to seatguru, 35 inch pitch for AS premium vs 33 for B6 economy. Plus free drinks in AS, better free snack. If you don't drink, aren't tall and have a high valuation of live tv and internet, you could say B6 is better, but it's not clear.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
As for Delta, I don't know how you'd travel with 3 kids and only a personal item and no seat assignment but you do you.
DL has the most permissive Y- offering--you still get a full-size carryon in addition to the personal item.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta Basic Economy allows carry-ons as well as a personal item. Perhaps you're confusing it with AA or United.

Delta aircraft SEA-BOS will have AVOD at every seat as well as streaming to devices.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS vs DL? I'd stick with AS myself. Haven't touched B6... but it is only a 6 hour flight, not too bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.