Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Justification for Mileage Runs for Gold 75K

Justification for Mileage Runs for Gold 75K

Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:01 am

OP, it seems you're looking for a bit of affirmation for deciding "on somewhat of a whim to bust out 15 or so mileage runs from January to February between PDX to JFK to hit Gold 75K for the first time". Even within the friendly confines of Flyertalk, you're subjecting yourself to a lot of advice from a bunch of strangers who don't walk in your shoes. None of us can say what's right for you, and by asking, you're going to feel even more ambivalent about your decision. After that 15th trip to nowhere, you'll be the best person to decide whether it was a good idea. Maybe you'll do it again next year. Best wishes.
bbinchi, Seat 2A and notquiteaff like this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by flytoeat
OP, it seems you're looking for a bit of affirmation for deciding "on somewhat of a whim to bust out 15 or so mileage runs from January to February between PDX to JFK to hit Gold 75K for the first time". Even within the friendly confines of Flyertalk, you're subjecting yourself to a lot of advice from a bunch of strangers who don't walk in your shoes. None of us can say what's right for you, and by asking, you're going to feel even more ambivalent about your decision. After that 15th trip to nowhere, you'll be the best person to decide whether it was a good idea. Maybe you'll do it again next year. Best wishes.
I could not have put it any better myself. Nicely said, flytoeat! ^

And if you want some inspiration from a longtime 75K who's job requires no flying, you can read THIS during your fifteen roundtrips.
spamman808 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by flytoeat
None of us can say what's right for you, and by asking, you're going to feel even more ambivalent about your decision. After that 15th trip to nowhere, you'll be the best person to decide whether it was a good idea. Maybe you'll do it again next year. Best wishes.
And it would be interesting to see an update from the OP next year how, looking back, it worked out and whether it was worth it.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by bderemer

I’m just now wrapping up graduate school and will hopefully be looking for a job that requires lots of travel (as I know this is something I’ll be able to do while younger, but will probably play too much of a toll on my body while older). So I’m kind of hoping this will pan out in the future with maintaining status, and I may be able to use the status as a negotiating/bargaining chip with an employer (especially wth no fee flight changes and refunds for non-refundable flights for Alaska credit).

- Ben
My wife was supportive, but thought I was crazy until I was able to put us in F and J on Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong and New Zealand for $300 and change. Granted, the cost of the mileage runs adds to the bottom line, but with the VX mistake fares last year I came out well under the out of pocket cost for just economy each way.

Not sure I'll continue to do it though. The travel starts to wear on me after while. We have a few transcons this year that will allow me to hit MVPG and I may just settle for that.

I'm also doing a few flights PDX-JFK-PDX. I definitely saw a few people doing same day turns. Didn't happen to strike up a conversation with any though as I feel like a zombie at some point, even if I get some sleep on the flights.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:58 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by bderemer
I decided on somewhat of a whim to bust out 15 or so mileage runs from January to February between PDX to JFK to hit Gold 75K for the first time (I was just Gold before). I thought about doing it last November when I was close to 75K, but figured it would be better to wait until this year so that I retain the status for about 22 months vs 13 months. My friends and family think it's ridiculous that I would even do that, let alone waste time and money to do it.

My justification to them for doing it was that I would get about 250,000 air miles earned for my account, that I would often be towards the top of the waitlist for first class upgrades for myself and a companion (and get automatic upgrades on Premium for all ticket class types), I can gift someone the MVP status, and I can do same day changes (which would allow me to buy the cheapest flight somewhere, and then change the flight to better times that would have cost at least twice as much or more otherwise, but I guess I already had that with Gold anyways).

Is there any reasoning you guys have used or maybe something I forgot that you would have told people for why you think it would be worth it to do mileage runs to get to Gold 75K, or is it truly not actually worth it in your opinion?

****As a side note, I purchased the tickets all at once with back to back flights during a flash sale and I used 10k miles to lower the price, so each ticket was around $112-$125 for each round trip flight. This was also during the time when flights between PDX and JFK received double miles, so instead of earning the 10k miles for a round trip flight I received 15k per round trip flight (hence about 250,000 earned).

I also have an Alaska lounge membership, so I can sit in there in Portland between flights. I thought I could do it at JFK as well with the Admirals Club, however, it is in a separate terminal so TSA will not let me go through the checkpoint and American Airlines says they no longer have an agreement with Alaska for the boardroom and will not issue a gate pass to go through the checkpoint.

I'd also say that I got a first class upgrade about 1/3 of time time, mainly because there seemed to be many more Gold 75K members who were higher on the waitlist than me for the upgrade.
Whether the MRs are worth it really depend on what you end up doing with the status now that you have it.
If you were my family member, I'd be far more likely to ream you for using 150K on Miles and Money awards.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:39 pm

Hi -

Missy has it just right. Saving 1500 on fares vs 3J or 2F one way TPAC on CX, stopping over in HK each time?

I would totally body slam you.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by CDKing
I got myself sick trying to do it last year
You, of all people, should know that serial mileage running is a sickness. Just ask Beckoa (or me)
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
The calculus for me has changed over time. I used to not mind circuitous routings to get good airplanes with flat seats and extra miles. In the past 2 years, I've had a hard time using miles when I want to use them, and my time has become my most valuable asset. When I have to travel, I always sort on "shortest travel time" first...then suss it out from there based on cost and product and benefits. For a few extra dollars, I can make almost any cabin experience survivable, and usually or always save myself some time in the process versus being loyal to a single airline.

I have never been a big mileage runner, but the value proposition for me is now more or less completely gone.
pbelmore likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Missy has it just right. Saving 1500 on fares vs 3J or 2F one way TPAC on CX, stopping over in HK each time?

I would totally body slam you.
I said something like that earlier regarding using miles and money. since his valuation is only 1c. then it is not worth it.

i am doing 5 of these JFK PDX runs and I think i was on the same plane as him on Sat night.

I have done 3 of these, all enjoyable. slept all the way in the plane and slept more at airport. zero jetlag.

My family lives in HK. I value AS miles higher as the award chart for CX is excellent as I can stop at home for free.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:14 pm

Hi pbd456 -

I am just not into domestic redeyes anymore --- so I did 5 PDX-EWR same day flights instead. For me, 75K is primary with TPAC lie flats secondary. For you it is just the opposite. I figure for an extra $500, I could just buy the miles instead of flying overnight and crashing in the airport for 5 hours for the return.

But good on you for finding value in what you are doing.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
I upped my status by frequent flights to see my sick mother. How's that for justification Is it worth it? I've been upgraded to first for every one of my eight flights so far this year, and my grad student daughter is loving her gifted MVP status (no bag charge, availability to book the exit row or premium seats). I don't travel for work, I travel for family and fun, so the 75k status helps make the travel even MORE fun with the frequent upgrades. It's the rides in coach that suck.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
My oh my.....why choose JFK and not OGG, or KOA, or LIH, or even HNL ?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
My oh my.....why choose JFK and not OGG, or KOA, or LIH, or even HNL ?
Prices are usually 3-5x more expensive for anything going to Hawaii vs going to NYC/BOS/WAS
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:59 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by quemalo
Prices are usually 3-5x more expensive for anything going to Hawaii vs going to NYC/BOS/WAS
But at least 10x more enjoyable of a destination
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking about price... what's a "good" price for EQM? By good I mean, on the cheap end of what's available... people, of course, should have their own personal valuations.

Also, does Alaska do regular promotions where you can earn extra EQM for flights? Virgin had a pretty good one every year...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.