Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What advantage is there to an airline if people use an app?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

We are dinosaurs. Do not have a smart phone. But we may be forced into one soon.

However, my question is serious...why do so many hotels, airlines, etc., want you to use an app? I'm speaking specifically to the new order your food in advance thing on AS...you cannot do it from a home computer. Why? What difference does it make?

Honestly, I'm an old lady and I really don't understand what the difference is between a smart phone and a computer - I thought your phone was like a tiny computer.

And if we do get a smartphone, how hard is this app business?
swiftaw likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:14 pm

Apps are easy to use if you get used to it, and my parents in their 60s-70s have actually found using phone apps much easier than websites, so you'll be fine if you're forced into it.

As for why airlines want to do it - its typically two completely different teams in the company (one building the website, one building the app), and each team will get around to a functionality as they have time. When the web-team has time, they might add food ordering. Its not the same people writing the code.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Apps are easy to use if you get used to it, and my parents in their 60s-70s have actually found using phone apps much easier than websites, so you'll be fine if you're forced into it.

As for why airlines want to do it - its typically two completely different teams in the company (one building the website, one building the app), and each team will get around to a functionality as they have time. When the web-team has time, they might add food ordering. Its not the same people writing the code.
AS may just find that enough frequent F flyers have the mobile app that it's not really worth the effort to add it to the site.

And I agree that mobile devices are generally far easier to use than desktops. My 62-year-mother manages to use iOS devices fairly well despite being an absolute disaster on a Windows box.
​​
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the explanation that it comes from 2 different departments, had no idea.

I have no trouble with a PC (obviously, since I'm here) but doing stuff on that tiny screen intimidates me.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Mobile phone usage crossed over into being over 50% of web/internet usage in 2015. That's why airlines have apps.
PV_Premier likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Mobile phone usage crossed over into being over 50% of web/internet usage in 2015. That's why airlines have apps.
I'm not questioning why they have apps, my OP was questioning why they want you to use an app exclusively (case in point the meal ordering). What if they said you HAD to use an app to book a flight - people like me could never fly again?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm not questioning why they have apps, my OP was questioning why they want you to use an app exclusively (case in point the meal ordering).
And I'm saying that the fact that desktop computing is now a shrinking percentage of the overall "this is how I access the Internet" is part of the reason why airlines will prioritize app-first development over "we need to serve people who won't use smartphones and who only access the Internet using a desktop-oriented website".

Airlines don't do paper tickets with actual physical coupons any more, either, because business needs change. When it comes to what gets you the most bang for the buck, you follow the crowd of your customers.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
If you are patient and shop around, you can probably get an Android phone for as low as $10 if you don't want to use it as your main phone. You wouldn't need to actually use it as a phone, just use it when you'd like to use any apps.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
If you are patient and shop around, you can probably get an Android phone for as low as $10 if you don't want to use it as your main phone. You wouldn't need to actually use it as a phone, just use it when you'd like to use any apps.
Yes - as long as you have access to a wifi network, you don't even need a phone contract or SIM card. Or get a tablet (iPad or Android tablet), works just as well in terms of installing the apps and the bigger form factor might be helpful if your eyes are getting a bit old (like mine are :-) ).
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
Or actually if you're fairly tech-savvy, you could even install an Android emulator on your Windows desktop and run the apps that way ...
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I'm not questioning why they have apps, my OP was questioning why they want you to use an app exclusively (case in point the meal ordering). What if they said you HAD to use an app to book a flight - people like me could never fly again?
I don't know if the motivation is the same for airlines (I have never booked a ticket with a smartphone app), but Hilton last year offered bonuses for reservations booked on their app. I did my research first in a browser (often iPad), then booked in the app. Why would they pay bonus points? Perhaps to condition people to just use the app when making a reservation, vs. using a booking channel that has competition.
codex57 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I don't know if the motivation is the same for airlines (I have never booked a ticket with a smartphone app), but Hilton last year offered bonuses for reservations booked on their app. I did my research first in a browser (often iPad), then booked in the app. Why would they pay bonus points? Perhaps to condition people to just use the app when making a reservation, vs. using a booking channel that has competition.
Yes, and I missed out on a lot of HH points because of it.

I think it's time. I was afraid of my microwave when I first got it, too.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I suspect it's the same. The airlines just haven't made their move as much as the hotel industry has.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:23 pm

I use a smart phone for the internet, but don't use apps. Businesses want you to use their apps because they have no competition on the app. If you are conditioned to use the app then you will by default be booking with them.

Some apps also gather data about you. Pay attention to the permissions they request. I have yet to encounter an app that is easier to use than a web site.
shimps1 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the explanation that it comes from 2 different departments, had no idea.

I have no trouble with a PC (obviously, since I'm here) but doing stuff on that tiny screen intimidates me.
I doesn't have to be a tiny screen. Apps work on (select) tablets, as well as on (most) smartphones. If you want to go the tablet route, just make sure you know which kind of tablet will support the app[s] you want to use. Some tablets are way closer to the size of a laptop screen than to a smartphone screen.

And many people find tablets more convenient than laptops for viewing movies/whatever on cramped airline trays. I thus see lots of people on planes using tablets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.