Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

As competition heats up, Southwest wants San Diego to know it's No. 1 airline

As competition heats up, Southwest wants San Diego to know it's No. 1 airline

Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by diver858
You may be a bit too young to remember [...] WN was very generous with drink coupons.
You may be a bit too young to remember that WN originally offered free drinks on all weekday daytime (business hours) flights. Until 7 pm, I think.

More remarkable, during a brief fare war, it offered a free bottle (750 ml) of Crown Royal, Chivas Regal or Jack Daniels to passengers who paid full fare on the then-very competitive Dallas-Houston route. Full fare was $26.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by tphuang
WN has 32 inch pitch.
The vast majority of the WN fleet (737-700s) have 31" pitch.

Over time, his successor - bean counter Gary Kelly - continues to whittle away at the benefits and raised fares, while running exceptional marketing campaigns to retain the perception of Herb's culture in the minds of customers.
Same could be said about Alaska. You must not recall the Mai Tais on Hawaii flights that were done away with late last year. Or the free SDC to any co-terminal airport. Same thing with this "marketing campaign" that AS is running, touting the "most west coast" flights; despite not serving the fourth (HOU), sixth (PHX, unless you want to fly here for three weeks in 2018), seventh (SAT), largest cities in the country from any or all of their CA "hubs" or having one flight a day to the third (Chicago), fifth (PHL) and 11th (AUS). But hey, you can fly to Fresno (#34) or to Minneapolis (#46, but only from SFO)!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:48 pm

Hi -

Is SAT really the 7th largest city in the country?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

By the population within its limits, yes. Which belies its actual market size, which is more accurately reflected by the metro area population. By that measure, its 24th.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:43 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Orwaid
City proper? Yes. Metro area? No (24th largest SMSA and 37th largest TV market).
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I won't fly WN ex-SAN because T1 is so awful.

I fly UA, VX, or DL, in that order. United has arguably its best domestic United Club in T2.

Originally Posted by tusphotog
The vast majority of the WN fleet (737-700s) have 31" pitch.
And the seats are exceptionally uncomfortable since they were slimlined.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:11 pm

I was asked for my opinion, gave 3 specific factors I consider important; had NOTHING to do with standard seat pitch or check baggage policies, unsure of the incessant need to promote WN, other carriers in the AS forum. I value the ability to reserve an exit row or premium economy seat at booking, chance at a first class upgrade - one of the primary reasons I choose to remain loyal to AA and AS (will leave the subject of IROPS interlining benefits for another day).
I was in Northern California on business this past week, did some wine tasting in the Lodi area on the way to Sacramento (highly recommended, BTW). There was little time to pack the 4 bottles of wine purchased along the way, only had a 12-bottle cardboard wine case from my last stop. Upon arrival at the AS counter in SMF, the gate agents were super friendly, reminded me of the AS policy to check one case of wine for free (not an issue, as I am already MVPG, hold the AS credit card), took the time to add packing materials to secure the bottles on the box, tape it carefully, cover it in more than 1 dozen "fragile", "special handling " labels - all done while I was walking to the gate - for an upgraded first class seat. Upon arrival in San DIego, the box was carefully placed in the oversized baggage area, not dropped on the carousel with other checked baggage. One can make the argument that I was an MVPG, sitting in first, but the ticket counter agents truly went above and beyond - something I would not have even ATTEMPTED with WN.
It's great that you are an MVPG and purchase FC a lot of times. Not everyone is a frequent flyer that need the extra comfortable seating. Most people just want to get from point A to B reliably with a good schedule. WN does that very well. They provide certain perks that other airlines don't and have maintained that over time. That to me is not an airline that started the race to the bottom. The race to the bottom happened because airlines figured out that consumers care about price more than anything else. If saying that WN is not a bad airline is promoting them, then I guess that's what I'm doing.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
WN doesn't fly to Alaska nor Hawaii. Hence I've never been on WN.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I don't fly WN, but I believe they offer a compelling product to the flying public, especially to ones who do not have status in other major airlines. If you don't fly a lot, you certainly like the free baggage allowance, no change fees, and who care about the "kindergarten" boarding process.

I can't argue about whether they started the race to the bottom, but they are certainly not a bottom feeder airline (think NK).

i think they provide a good alternative flying experience to the flying public, and I believe it is good for the airline market.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Calculon
By the population within its limits, yes. Which belies its actual market size, which is more accurately reflected by the metro area population. By that measure, its 24th.
Fair point.

So lets look at the MSAs: you cant fly nonstop to markets #5 (Houston), #8 (MIA/FLL/PBI), #9 (Atlanta), and #12 (Phoenix, unless its during the three week windows in spring 2018) nonstop on AS from any California hub (or airport for that matter). Southwest serves all of those except FLL/PBI from all their big California airports, including SAN..

​​​​
Originally Posted by Kacee
And the seats are exceptionally uncomfortable since they were slimlined.
I agree 100%.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
unsure of the incessant need to promote WN, other carriers in the AS forum.
It's less an incessant need to promote WN and more a response to your apparent need to drag WN whenever they're mentioned.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:41 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by beckoa
ahem, time for the san alaska lounge?
Definitely!!

ASAP!!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
3. Boarding process - feels like a kindergartner going to the rest room
diver858 - I agree with most of your comments on WN, except for this one. FWIW I find WN boarding process easy, orderly and civilized. AS boarding can be a down right food fight sometimes. Sometimes it's better. Regarding VX, I find boarding very easy on their flights, and I'm not really sure why. Everyone just behaves themselves during VX boarding.

Aside from WN, AS and VX - DL is a war zone.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by tusphotog

Fair point.

So lets look at the MSAs: you cant fly nonstop to markets #5 (Houston), #8 (MIA/FLL/PBI), #9 (Atlanta), and #12 (Phoenix, unless its during the three week windows in spring 2018) nonstop on AS from any California hub (or airport for that matter). Southwest serves all of those except FLL/PBI from all their big California airports, including SAN..

​​​​

I agree 100%.
AS/VX offer multiple daily flights between SFO/LAX and FLL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.