Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska MileagePlan customers disadvantaged by smaller 331 day booking window

Old Jan 28, 18, 3:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots

I have the miles to book my Alaska or partner award flight for my desired date in about 350 days. However, since Alaska MileagePlan's booking window is limited to 331 days, I have to wait and watch the award seats being booked out by users of other frequent flyer programs who can book 365 days out, hoping an award seat left for me when my desired date is 331 days out

Is that fair ?
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:04 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
It may not be fair but unfortunately that's how alaska airlines work
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post
I have the miles to book my Alaska or partner award flight for my desired date in about 350 days. However, since Alaska MileagePlan's booking window is limited to 331 days, I have to wait and watch the award seats being booked out by users of other frequent flyer programs who can book 365 days out, hoping an award seat left for me when my desired date is 331 days out

Is that fair ?
It's part of the calculus when you join Mileage Plan. If you wish a longer booking window, you can accrue with the specific carrier you desire to fly. By the way, very few programs allow booking at 365 days, and as far as I'm aware, none of Alaska's partners do. (CX 360, BA 355, QF 353, EK 340, etc.)
AceReport likes this.
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flytoeat View Post
... (CX 360, BA 355, QF 353, EK 340, etc.)
That's the issue, people using other reward programs are able to snatch the few available award seats 360 to 340 days out, but Alaska MileagePlan collectors cannot
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:43 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
You missed the point - join one of those other programs to accrue your miles if that is what is important to you!

Also note that not all award inventory is released when the booking window opens. Award inventory can be released anytime leading up to the date of departure.
windchaser777, AceReport and Happy like this.
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That assumes award inventory is made available at the partner carrier's greater window, and not again.
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Life is not fair but the Alaska program is. Alaska defines the program and its rules. If you choose to use their program you choose to be bound by its rules. You are free to choose another program if that program better suits your needs, perhaps one with a larger booking window?
Old Jan 28, 18, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Same as AA.
Old Jan 28, 18, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
AS has been this way for many years, same with many carriers. It's more to advantage those who have points in the other programs where points are nowhere as easy as they are to obtain as AS points
Old Jan 28, 18, 5:22 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
You could just as easily say it's unfair that other programs often require more miles redeemed than AS for the same itinerary. Each program has its strengths and weaknesses.
Old Jan 28, 18, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
And many other programs have no stopovers. AS has stopovers on one ways. Is that “fair”? Or “different”?
Old Jan 28, 18, 7:22 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I have never once had issues getting award seats I needed with just a bit of flexibility, as recently as 4 J and 2 F seats JFK HKG on CX (same flight)

be patient, watch for and study availability you will be fine.
pdxasflyer likes this.
Old Jan 28, 18, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
I believe this is a restriction of the Sabre reservations system that AS (and AA and a whole bunch of other airlines) uses. Thatís why AA too can only book 331 days out, while Amadeus airlines like BA and QF can book 350 or whatever it is days out. It is what it is and is not going to change. Itís also not a restriction deliberately imposed by AS.
Old Jan 28, 18, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
331 days out vs. something greater than 331 days out for award booking? Mileage-based accrual rates vs. spend-based accrual rates? Award stop-overs vs. no stop-overs? I can go on and on for quite some time here. IMO, I'll forgo the 1-34 days earlier booking to get the other benefits. For those of us who put in the leg work to strategize and plan our award redemptions, those couple days aren't a major issue.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Jan 28, 18, 8:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food View Post
331 days out vs. something greater than 331 days out for award booking? Mileage-based accrual rates vs. spend-based accrual rates? Award stop-overs vs. no stop-overs? I can go on and on for quite some time here. IMO, I'll forgo the 1-34 days earlier booking to get the other benefits. For those of us who put in the leg work to strategize and plan our award redemptions, those couple days aren't a major issue.
What kind of legwork or strategy do you use to plan your award redemptions ? The advantage of booking way in advance like 360 days out is that there is a level of certainty about the availability of award seats

Search this Thread
Search Engine: