Search

Horizon lands on PUW taxiway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Horizon lands on PUW taxiway

Oops.

And that’s not even the most interesting part of this article.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Chugach
Oops.

And that’s not even the most interesting part of this article.
Sad but not surprising – FAA is basically captured by the airline industry that it both facilitates and (allegedly) regulates, whereas NTSB is a more independent body whose only mission involves safety.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Wow. What is John Duncan, FAA’s head of flight standards, trying to hide?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
AFAIK the taxiway is perpendicular to the runway at PUW, looks to the same length too. Must've been blinding rain if the pilots thought the less wide "runway" was the runway and the "runway" is closer to the airport.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Living in Pullman for 4 years, I can kinda see the confusion but it shouldn't have happen. It is a tiny airport
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
AFAIK the taxiway is perpendicular to the runway at PUW, looks to the same length too. Must've been blinding rain if the pilots thought the less wide "runway" was the runway and the "runway" is closer to the airport.
I think you mean parallel...

A couple of images of PUW for those who have never been there:

[/quote]

The runway/taxiway is in the process of being realigned and lengthened, I haven't been in PUW since June so not sure where they're up to in the process.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by Kaphias
I think you mean parallel...

A couple of images of PUW for those who have never been there:

The runway/taxiway is in the process of being realigned and lengthened, I haven't been in PUW since June so not sure where they're up to in the process.[/QUOTE]

It's a Saturday haha. Reminds me of screwing up polar and non-polar in Chem 055, still kick myself for that.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:24 pm

Given the small size of PUW, it hardly makes any difference where they land!

Seriously, check out Osorno and Valdivia in Chile (and possibly other airports in South America). At both Osorno and Valdivia airports, there is a combined runway/taxiway. The plane upon landing, goes to the end of the runway, does a 180 degree turn, and taxis back on the combined runway/taxiway to the single gate / jetbridge. Similarly, upon takeoff, the plane taxis to the end of the runway, does a 180 degree turn, and then takes off. The airport "terminal" is adjacent to the center of the combined runway/taxiway.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Given the small size of PUW, it hardly makes any difference where they land!

Seriously, check out Osorno and Valdivia in Chile (and possibly other airports in South America). At both Osorno and Valdivia airports, there is a combined runway/taxiway. The plane upon landing, goes to the end of the runway, does a 180 degree turn, and taxis back on the combined runway/taxiway to the single gate / jetbridge. Similarly, upon takeoff, the plane taxis to the end of the runway, does a 180 degree turn, and then takes off. The airport "terminal" is adjacent to the center of the combined runway/taxiway.
You don't have go that far... there are airports all over Alaska that AS serves that are configured like that.

Obviously the taxiway at PUW doesn't have a length issue, but you can see in my photos how narrow it is, not to mention the possibility of other aircraft being on the taxiway and the proximity to the terminal.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Horizon ALWAYS has issues with PUW and its ALWAYS horizon's fault. Whether it be shoddy maintenance or sloppy pilots/crews, there is always an excuse but actions speak louder than words. In my opinion, Horizon Air dramatically brings Alaska down and because of that I no longer fly on Alaska.

The most egregious event I have encountered is a trip i has scheduled to the EU - all in first/business class from SEA onward (all PUW flights go to SEA). Horizon was 1hr 20 minutes late on a beautiful day for a 50 min flight. I specifically asked the captain why they were late and he said mechanical. When we arrived at SEA and had missed our entire international connection, Horizon tried to LIE and say it was weather-related...i mean directly lie to my face so that they wouldn't have to deal with the rebooking. I of course indicated my conversation with the pilot and asked for a supervisor and it all got sorted...but not without deception on the part of Horizon and my having to make a stand. Total piece of crap airline IMHO.

Just an FYI: PUW does have a length issue due to the location and the relatively consistent low ceiling....thats why they are extending the runway currently.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Glad it ended ok... charters do occur in PUW and there's a fair bit of PJ traffic on football weekends.

Go Cougs.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kaphias
You don't have go that far... there are airports all over Alaska that AS serves that are configured like that.

WRG, PSG, SIT, GST, YAK, CDV, DLG, OME, OTZ, and BRW are all set up to at least some of that extent. Definitely not uncommon in AK.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by beckoa
Go Cougs.
Go Cougs!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Horizon ALWAYS has issues with PUW and its ALWAYS horizon's fault. Whether it be shoddy maintenance or sloppy pilots/crews, there is always an excuse but actions speak louder than words. In my opinion, Horizon Air dramatically brings Alaska down and because of that I no longer fly on Alaska.

The most egregious event I have encountered is a trip i has scheduled to the EU - all in first/business class from SEA onward (all PUW flights go to SEA). Horizon was 1hr 20 minutes late on a beautiful day for a 50 min flight. I specifically asked the captain why they were late and he said mechanical. When we arrived at SEA and had missed our entire international connection, Horizon tried to LIE and say it was weather-related...i mean directly lie to my face so that they wouldn't have to deal with the rebooking. I of course indicated my conversation with the pilot and asked for a supervisor and it all got sorted...but not without deception on the part of Horizon and my having to make a stand. Total piece of crap airline IMHO.
I don't see how that experience is relevant to the thread's safety issue of this specific PUW landing.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk

Just an FYI: PUW does have a length issue due to the location and the relatively consistent low ceiling....thats why they are extending the runway currently.
Since I fly out of YKM I have similar issues. However, one has to know that flying out of a small airport with few flights you have to build in long connections on major trips or drive to larger airports (In your case GEG) because there is always a chance of delays.

Last edited by jsguyrus; Jan 28, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.